Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Registering a Bus with no permanent address

Hi all! My SO and I have just purchased a completed conversion and are so excited to start living the bus life!

We plan to live in the bus full time but only move every 3-6 months. The first two destinations are New Hampshire and Texas, but then after that who knows!

My question is about registering the bus. It is already titled as an RV in Georgia, and we have insurance through Good Sam. We currently live and have licenses in Oregon, but we won't have an address here much longer. We could use my SO's parents' address in WA state or my parents' in NH.

Knowing all this, how would you go about registering the bus? We want to do it legally so that our plates are legitimate, but also don't want to do it...stupidly? Like, paying through the nose to register it in Oregon if we have the option of paying less elsewhere.

Advice appreciated!

monsterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Using a family member's address would be the easiest solution.

I would check registration and insurance cost they can vary considerably depending on location. Find out what the cost is for each location and pick the most attractive.

You may find it less troublesome if you get your drivers license and registration from the same state.

Another option is a mail drop. There are some in low cost states like South Dakota that specialize in full time RV travelers.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
WA are weird about driving licenses, so be careful there. Check out NH but SD is very popular.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
WA are weird about driving licenses, so be careful there. Check out NH but SD is very popular.
No doubt!!!

Washington DOL is just insane at times.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Bus Geek

You are required to have a legal domicile for tax and other financial / bureaucratic purposes, that is not an option.

There is no category accepting rootless nomads, you have to make your story fit the forms' requirements, and best for that address to be consistent across the board.

But vehicles' registration and property tax can be different, usually supposed to be where it is garaged.

These regs vary widely by state.

There are many threads, some quite recent, on the how's and where's.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbus View Post
Hi all! My SO and I have just purchased a completed conversion and are so excited to start living the bus life!

We plan to live in the bus full time but only move every 3-6 months. The first two destinations are New Hampshire and Texas, but then after that who knows!

My question is about registering the bus. It is already titled as an RV in Georgia, and we have insurance through Good Sam. We currently live and have licenses in Oregon, but we won't have an address here much longer. We could use my SO's parents' address in WA state or my parents' in NH.

Knowing all this, how would you go about registering the bus? We want to do it legally so that our plates are legitimate, but also don't want to do it...stupidly? Like, paying through the nose to register it in Oregon if we have the option of paying less elsewhere.

Advice appreciated!
South Dakota...designation American, I think...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote