Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Registering and insuring in Tennessee

Just passing along my experience so far.

Bought a bookmobile, it's already halfway to being an RV. The title had body type as CC, but when the DMV pulled it up, it was showing as BU (for bus). They kept saying it didn't matter, but after explaining over and over why I wanted it to say RV or MotorHome, they updated it in their computer. Stated that it might get kicked back from the state and get changed back to BU, if so then I'll have to call and get it straightened out. Note, I just bought this and was getting it registered and titled, so I didn't already have a title in my name, may be different if I did.

As far as insuring, I called Farm Bureau and had it added on. With a value of $8,000 (I explained I had paid $3,830 but was going to add stuff, they of course let me know that the contents were only covered in a collision, not for theft), full coverage was $95 every six months. Had I gone liability only, it would have been $51/6 months. They didn't flinch when I told them it was a 1995 International 3800 Motorhome. Also didn't seem to have a problem that I was needing to add stuff like plumbing, beds, tvs, etc. (because when asked what it was worth I told them the purchase price, then after realizing there'd be more stuff in there told them it'd be worth about $8,000 once I added the stuff in there).

josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Registering and insuring in Tennessee

Update: Got the title in today, and it has MH (Motorized Home) for the body type. Don't know what everyone's complaining about, I couldn't imagine an easier title conversion
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Registering and insuring in Tennessee

While looking thru a box of stuff I found a copy of an e-mail that I received when we were in the process of titling our Eagle 05 as a Motorhome... It is from 2001 but should still apply. We simply wrote up a statement which we signed and notarized in which we said the bus had a bed, cooking area and toilet facilities. They never looked at the notarized paper.
It does give you a starting point for whom to contact about the titling if you have a problem with the local county clerk.

Date:Thursday, Sept 06, 2001
RE: Title Change

"I thought it might be useful for you to know the definition of a motorhome as outlined in the Tennessee Motor Vehicle Laws and it is as follows: Motor home means every vehicle which is designated, constructed (either originally by the manufacturer or rebuilt by another) and equipped as a dwelling place, living abode or sleeping place. An Application for Title and Registration would be filed through the office of the county clerk with the former owner's Title properly endorsed and a notarized statement from the person making the vehicle modification verifying the same. The county clerk will issue a passenger license plate and collect the necessary fees. You may want to click on the Tennessee Department of Safety website: www.state.tn.us for information specifically related to drivers' license. If I can be of further help, just let me know."

Sincerely,
(Name Omitted)
Department of Safety
Title and Registration Division
Title Information Team
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote