Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Getting a Commercial is difficult (mandated by Federal law). BUT you do NOT need a CDL to drive an RV.

CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
...unless you are using it Commercially. Then yes...you will need a CDL.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The back of my license says: "Class:None"

The front says: "Class: " (it is blank)

Apparently DOL thinks that I have no class.......
You are like school on sunday
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The bus was purchased by a group of folks from my union local with the intention of modifying it to use it for a sort of mutual aid vehicle for the less-fortunate in our city (Richmond) by using it as a mobile distribution center for essentials (clothing, basic OTC medicines, dry goods/canned food, books, etc) in various struggling neighborhoods.

To that end, we've removed the rear half of the seats and have painted the bus (green).

That doesn't really sound like an RV to me.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
That doesn't really sound like an RV to me.
The RV thing isn't really the issue: it's 'Personal use only, such as for recreation'. This is a group that is doing GOOD WORKS (yay for them, btw) rather than Joe Sixpack taking his own belongings across the country. I would encourage you to chat with a lawyer about this: you do NOT want to find out too late that you did it wrong. And your union likely has a lawyer handy.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
It's the part that says "Operators of vehicles, such as recreational vehicles and rental moving vans, used only for personal use" that gets sticky.

They are pretty clear about the "personal use".
Yeah, it is very clear about the personal use.

I was responding to CS's comment about not needing a CDL to drive an RV.

Given that the bus in question will be converted to a delivery vehicle not really an RV and it will be used for purposes that are not "only for personal use" I think that it is pretty clear that a CDL would be required.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Seems to me as well CDL is likely needed. After all you would be transporting goods. I do second the idea of having the union lawyer look into it as well.

Ok, on the back of my license I can drive whatever I want, anywhere I want...... no speed limits apply either.... Of course I wish, but kidding aside in Virginia a standard drivers license is class "D", and just says operators license on the back. Still this is not a CDL, and CDL is likely what applies in this case.

I did look up for Virginia and I do not see a weight limit on RV's that you can drive with just an Operators license.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAid View Post
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around this forum for a bit now and it's finally time for my first post! I've found this place to be incredibly helpful thusfar, although I'm failing to find some specific info I need anywhere in my state's DMV information, so I figured I'd make a post.

First, the bus in question is a full-size 1985 Ford/Thomas bus that was purchased from the NC school system. The bus was purchased by a group of folks from my union local with the intention of modifying it to use it for a sort of mutual aid vehicle for the less-fortunate in our city (Richmond) by using it as a mobile distribution center for essentials (clothing, basic OTC medicines, dry goods/canned food, books, etc) in various struggling neighborhoods.

To that end, we've removed the rear half of the seats and have painted the bus (green). The bus runs incredibly well for its age!

To the question(s) - I've found some information suggesting that there is a way to register this bus as a "Private Bus/Truck Not For Hire" which would keep me from needing to get a CDL to drive it. Does anyone know if this is legitimate and if it is, how in the world do I go about doing this? Does this hold true in spite of the air brakes on the bus?

Including a picture of the bus for reference.

the correct way is to have the title speak to what you have - in my case my 2005 Thimas is officially an RV, so my VA license is all I need, even with air brakes. If getting the title swapped to an RV is too much of a stretch (you need all typical RV elements inside), than perhaps a 501(c)3 charitable org may give you an opportunity, but they’ll all ask about the number of seats you still have b/c like anything over 10-12 seats makes you a commercial entity.
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FrieghtlinerThomas View Post
the correct way is to have the title speak to what you have - in my case my 2005 Thimas is officially an RV, so my VA license is all I need, even with air brakes. If getting the title swapped to an RV is too much of a stretch (you need all typical RV elements inside), than perhaps a 501(c)3 charitable org may give you an opportunity, but they’ll all ask about the number of seats you still have b/c like anything over 10-12 seats makes you a commercial entity.
I think the cutoff is 16 passengers
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
cdl isnt hard to get its nice to have if you ever need a new line of work its there to fall back on air brakes is the worst of it im wondering if you can insure it commercial then register as a rv? im going to try it insured is insured isnt it? i lucked out i got mt 2006 bluebird c7 allison 120,000 miles no rust for $1000 it had new brakes new radiator bus was just serviced and a new 100 gal fuel tank and new rubber all the way around lol im hitting the road this fall after a year of building
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #31
Skoolie

For the CDL, call with the VIN or go to a DMV with the title & ask if you need a CDL to drive this thing legally if you've removed half the seats. Ask them title questions too. The insurance cares very little about how it's titled, it wants it titled and the name on the insurance the same as the name on the title.

For insurance, if I was going to get quotes for you, I'd guess we'd have to do commercial not RV since you're not really an RV. It's more like a van or pickup with a business/non-profit use.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
For the CDL, call with the VIN or go to a DMV with the title & ask if you need a CDL to drive this thing legally if you've removed half the seats. Ask them title questions too. The insurance cares very little about how it's titled, it wants it titled and the name on the insurance the same as the name on the title.

For insurance, if I was going to get quotes for you, I'd guess we'd have to do commercial not RV since you're not really an RV. It's more like a van or pickup with a business/non-profit use.
all the insurance guys I called cared very much what the title said, ie, is it an RV or not, was it professionally done, we need pics, etc.- and without the RV designation there was no way they were going to insure it...the bus also had to have like 5 of the 7 typical RV componenets to qualify.
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FrieghtlinerThomas View Post
all the insurance guys I called cared very much what the title said, ie, is it an RV or not, was it professionally done, we need pics, etc.- and without the RV designation there was no way they were going to insure it...the bus also had to have like 5 of the 7 typical RV componenets to qualify.

As a completed conversion it would have to qualify as an rv for the insurance. Even under conversion I need photos to get the quote approved. I sometimes ask if it's titled as a bus or rv, but the actual quote systems don't ask title questions. And every carrier is different, so some of the captive agents might ask questions that I don't and vice versa. The title questions I can think of off quotes for our carriers are "is it titled and easily moved" or "is it titled in the name of an llc for tax purposes" or is it jointly titled.

If you called me last summer and said it was under conversion I wouldn't have had an option for you. If it was converted, I needed photos. If you paid someone to do it I could have gotten a quote from Progressive then, if you did yourself I would have only been able to get a quote from National General.

If you called me today, Safeco might do it if it was a completed profession conversion, Progressive doesn't do it at all, and National General still requires photos and approval before I can submit it. Safeco seems to be looking for well known large company names for their conversions, not smaller ones or ones that use existing bus walls.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
i found out here where i am yes i can insure it commercial and register as a rv !
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote