Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #21

Oh and about the smog? It's smog exempt once it's a Motorhome? Is this because its a diesel? Any changes due to scrubbers?

Fireratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
The only reason you might need to go to the CHP is if a vin verification was required. You can simplify the bus to motor home process by having a licensed vin verifier verify that your bus has been permanently modified to be a motor home. DMV will accept this verification and change the title.

Carefully re-read all the posts in this thread. The answers to your registration questions are clearly spelled out. When you talk to DMV or CHP tell them what they want to hear----Motor Home. DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOUR BUS--it AIN'T a bus anymore unless you say it is. One other bit of advice. If one DMV office proves to be uncooperative thank them very kindly and go to another office and don't be afraid to ask to talk with the manager.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #23
Bus Nut

How does California handle temporary tags for a bus bought there, but going out of state? I have my eyes on a couple, out there, and want to drive one of them back home. Thanx
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
How does California handle temporary tags for a bus bought there, but going out of state? I have my eyes on a couple, out there, and want to drive one of them back home. Thanx
my home state of Florida issued a 30 temp. (with proof of insurance) for the bus I bought in Alabama.

So maybe your home state does the same way?
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Sorry.... I am being a little slow....

I looked at that page and don't see mention of RV exemption?? Can someone (using small words..) point it out to me?

I have an E450 diesel 25 pass cutaway that is currently registered as an RV in WA and it will be moving to CA later this year.

Thanks
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Sorry.... I am being a little slow....

I looked at that page and don't see mention of RV exemption?? Can someone (using small words..) point it out to me?

I have an E450 diesel 25 pass cutaway that is currently registered as an RV in WA and it will be moving to CA later this year.

Thanks
Type in RV / Motorhome in search box on the C.A.R.B site & some things come up
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/trucks.../motorhome.htm
Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
The only reason you might need to go to the CHP is if a vin verification was required. You can simplify the bus to motor home process by having a licensed vin verifier verify that your bus has been permanently modified to be a motor home. DMV will accept this verification and change the title.

Carefully re-read all the posts in this thread. The answers to your registration questions are clearly spelled out. When you talk to DMV or CHP tell them what they want to hear----Motor Home. DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOUR BUS--it AIN'T a bus anymore unless you say it is. One other bit of advice. If one DMV office proves to be uncooperative thank them very kindly and go to another office and don't be afraid to ask to talk with the manager.
Jack
Every vehicle I ever brought into the state then registered had to have CHP or Sheriff dept verify vin number, that's a total of 3
Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
With all due respect, a licensed vin verifier can do all that. I had for a number of years, ownership in a used vehicle operation and with the exception of registering a theft recovery in Ca, we were never required to have DMV or CHP look at our vehicles. Last year I did a motor home conversion on a 40' MCI bus and used a vin verifier to complete the paper work required by DMV to change the type of vehicle from bus to motor home. That isn't to say one can't choose to go to DMV or CHP----. Lots of ways to skin a cat.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:18 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Ok... The way I am reading that info is that motorhomes are exempt from having to retrofit DPF and exempt from the related reporting requirement.

As far as I can find so far it looks like diesel motorhomes over 14,500 lbs GVRW may be exempt from testing.

Unfortunately the E450 has a GVRW of 14,050lbs.

As far as I can tell we are going to have to do the emissions two step. I was getting my hopes up that we could avoid it as I would love the see the EGR & cooler disappear.

I got to thinking about it and I have not had to deal with emissions testing since 1994. Oh well....
Old 02-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #31

Awesome, thanks for all the info!
Fireratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #32

Chevy 2002 G3500 Express Shortie Conversion

In a similar situation ... buying an out of state shortie which is already converted, and titled as MH... it has a foot pump sink, wood stove, sleeping quarters, portable stove, microwave, and solar power supply ... do I need a toilet?

I was going to an auto registrar to help with the paperwork and VIN verification. I will need to get a Smog check as well.

Its in my best interest to register it as a personal auto.... if its insured as a commercial vehicle does that complicate things? Can i have commercial insurance and register it as an auto?

I dont know the GVW post mod - do i need to get it weighed?

If i DO need a toilet - can i just put a porcelain pot from the junk yard in the back corner and call it a day? or a compost toilet?

Feeling a bit overwhelmed but dead set on this rig! Might just move...
Raspyrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspyrick33 View Post
In a similar situation ... buying an out of state shortie which is already converted, and titled as MH... it has a foot pump sink, wood stove, sleeping quarters, portable stove, microwave, and solar power supply ... do I need a toilet?

I was going to an auto registrar to help with the paperwork and VIN verification. I will need to get a Smog check as well.

Its in my best interest to register it as a personal auto.... if its insured as a commercial vehicle does that complicate things? Can i have commercial insurance and register it as an auto?

If i DO need a toilet - can i just put a porcelain pot from the junk yard in the back corner and call it a day? or a compost toilet?

You will need a toilet if there’s an inspection. Id put a portapot in there and then I’d call a VIN verifier service and pay the $125 or whatever it is.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspyrick33 View Post

It's been many years since I titled and registered a vehicle in California. It used to be that if it was titled in another state as a motor home instead another state you could title it in California as a motor home by simply doing the paperwork at DMV.

Has that changed?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
It's been many years since I titled and registered a vehicle in California. It used to be that if it was titled in another state as a motor home instead another state you could title it in California as a motor home by simply doing the paperwork at DMV.

Has that changed?
I don’t think so. It probably will be inspected though, so it depends on how savvy the person inspecting is.

And maybe some discussion about which DMV office to go to. For instance, the Bay Area would be tougher than, say, Visalia.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #36

I just want through the ca dmv. I had a bed, a microwave oven and a self contained $100 toilet. They were on the fence. The senior guy was saying the toilet had to be “permanently attached” the junior guy who was super cool checked with another dmv employee and gave me the MH status anyway. I think if it’s “permanently attached” you’re good. Otherwise, go to a handful of DMVs until you get someone who will flex the rules.
Strawsg@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawsg@yahoo.com View Post
I just want through the ca dmv. I had a bed, a microwave oven and a self contained $100 toilet. They were on the fence. The senior guy was saying the toilet had to be “permanently attached” the junior guy who was super cool checked with another dmv employee and gave me the MH status anyway. I think if it’s “permanently attached” you’re good. Otherwise, go to a handful of DMVs until you get someone who will flex the rules.
If you had 5 of the 6 requirements, the toilet is not required.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:23 PM   #38
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
I'm on the fence too.

I don't need clarification on MH vs auto/bus, I do know all that and know how to get either...

My concern is that apparently in the city o plan to park when not in use it is not allowed to park an MH in the driveway, even though I fit and don't block anything.

I CAN however park in the front of my house like it's a normal vehicle.

Conversely, if it's NOT an MH and just a auto/bus I CAN park in the driveway...

Decisions decisions. Especially because I do plan to convert it into a self contained skoolie.
Perhaps I'll physically have all the MH stuff built out but stay with auto/bus to be able to park in my driveway?
sepudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:01 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Interesting.
I had to make mine MH and still have to paint it to park it at home.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote