Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Registration in Vermont

Just got the bus registered in Vermont.

When I was in to get my license earlier this month, I picked up a registration form for a motor home (all vehicles use the same form.)

Took that in today, filled out, with my title and bill of sale. Gave them to the attendant. They quoted $550-something. I took a look and said that I had paid the taxes already. They looked at the bill of sale and said, "Sorry, didn't see that." Then re-totaled to $95. Paid in cash and he did some stuff on the computer and we're now registered in Vermont as a motor-home.

Posted this because I looked earlier and didn't find Vermont anywhere in this category.

Hope future people have similar easy experiences with the VT-DMV.

P.S. Called GMAC (Good-Sam-VIP) and got insurance (was supposed to do it before registration but wasn't a snag with the DMV) Going tomorrow to get the mandatory state inspection (required within 14-days) and then we'll be completely legit.

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Registration in Vermont

At the inspection we had to remove the hazard lights. I tried to put the red in the back and the yellow in the front but it wasn't could enough for the state, so I ended up removing them and sheet/riveting over them.

Had previously removed all school bus labels (decals) from everywhere and taken off the stop sign (but not the mechanism) off the side.

That's all they wanted in Vermont to clear inspection. Left it yellow until we can find some clear days to paint.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #3

Sounds pretty straight forward! I am looking to buy a short bus in the next few months and trying to figure out the best place to purchase, register and insure. I am not tied to any state in particular.
Did you buy your bus in Vermont??
MckenzieFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckenzieFree
Sounds pretty straight forward! I am looking to buy a short bus in the next few months and trying to figure out the best place to purchase, register and insure. I am not tied to any state in particular.
Did you buy your bus in Vermont??
I bought my bus from Florida Church Bus when I was traveling in Ohio and had it delivered later to Vermont. If I had to do over again, I'm not sure what I would do. I know of a few people here that have short buses they bought from the local schools and they're all doing ok.

It might be worth while to look at states with heavy regulations as far as schoolbus upkeep, etc... and it might also be good to look at states that don't put a lot of salt on the roads to minimize rust. But then you have to keep delivery / voyage in mind too.

It's a tough decision, but with the proper research, you should come through ok. Go look at buses, but don't buy the first one you find, plan on looking at a couple before you leap in. When you do leap in, take someone along with you that knows buses, or at least trucks.