Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Coachwork: Searching...
Rated Cap: 72
Registration/Insurance in IL

I will be purchasing my first bus (Thomas Vista) very soon and am not sure what to do about insurance and registration. I do not have a CDL but read on the IL SOS website that RV's are exempt. How does it get RV status? Can I just go to the currency exchange and say it's an RV, even though it is clearly and completely a school bus? I intend to convert it, but for now, it's a big yellow school bus

ryder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas International
Engine: DT 360 Diesel
Re: Registration/Insurance in IL

In the state of Illinois you have to re-paint it a different color (school bus yellow is illegal), remove the stop sign, and disable the flashers. In addition, you must meet four out of six requirements before it can be classified as an RV. Let me know and I can tell you what those requirements are.

The problem I ran into this week, is that I have no way to transport it from the dealer to my home. You can use a regular drivers license after teh conversion, but not before. If it's a school bus, you need someone with a school bus permit. Otherwise you can remove all the seats (it has to be under 11 seats, I believe) and classify it as a heavywight bus and then get someone with a class B CDL to drive it for you.

The title transfer is done quickly at the DMV once you meet the requirements.

Best of luck

Joshua D. Harris
Business Management Major
Gypsy_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #3

Coachwork: looking for one

Quote:
In addition, you must meet four out of six requirements before it can be classified as an RV.
Can you please tell me what the requirements are please
juicyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas International
Engine: DT 360 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyjay
Quote:
In addition, you must meet four out of six requirements before it can be classified as an RV.
Can you please tell me what the requirements are please
The folowing is exactly as stated on the sheet I received from the DMV:

RV: The vehicle must contain at least 4 of the 6 equipment items listed below, and not be used commercially nor owned by a commercial business.

1. Cooking facility with an on-board fuel source
2. Gas or electric refrigerator
3. Toilet with exterior evacuation
4. Heating or Air Conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source seperate from the vehicle engine
5. Potable (drinkable) water supply system that includes at least a sink, faucet, and water tank with an exterior service supply connection
6. 110-125 volt electric power supply

B-Truck: If vehicle is designed and used for carrying or hauling freight or cargo and the area behind the driver's and front passenger's seat is entirely open (no additional seats) [this means that if you remove all the seats, you can use a class B CDL to drive your bus around]

Refer to the fee chart exhibit for correct registration fee and expiration date according to the type of plate registered.

4. To audit a conversion van transaction that is submitted after the initial title has already been issued:

One title will be issued when the two certificates of origin are surrendered. Thus, the vehicle will carry only one title from that time. However, the title may show two years, makes and vehicle identification numbers. If two years, makes and vehicle identification numbers are shown on the surrender title, the auditor is required to see that any new application reflects this.

5/1-169 Recreational Vehicle
[that double "S" thing] 1-169 Recreational vehicle. Every camping trailer, motor home, mini motor home, travel trailer, truck camper or van camper used primarily for recreational purposes and not used commercially nor owned by a commercial business. P.A. 76-1586, [double s] 1-169, eff. July 1, 1970. Amended by P.A. 78-343, [double s] 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974; P.A. 81-969, [double s] 1, eff. Jan. 4, 1980; P.A. 84-986, [double s] 1, eff. Sept. 25, 1985.
Formerly Ill.Rev.Stat.1991, ch. 95 1/2, [paragraph symbol] 1-169.

Then there's a note that says "From IL Code Policy"

The above is what I received when I asked what I needed to do to make my school bus into an RV in Illinois. This information is about 5 months old, but should still be 100% complete and applicable

Joshua D. Harris
Business Management Major
Gypsy_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote