Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2006, 01:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Registration/ Insurance issues

I hold a Michigan driver's license and am a resident of that state. I am staying in Virginia right now as I am also a full time RVer. I bought a transit bus from a city and I need to get it to my friends house 2.5 hours away from where I am picking it up.

How can I get temporary tags to get the bus back. I have till no later than Tuesday, Feb 21 to pick up the bus so I gotta figgure something out soon. I guess I could always take the back roads at night?

I bought a car last year while I was down here and it took about 3 weeks to get a new MI title sent down and a MI registration.

Also, can I just insure a bus as an RV? I use progressive for my RV right now and they have never inspected my MoHo before. I just need temporary insurance to get me where I am going.

Thanks in advance.

runnysucklehose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Bus Geek

talk to the local SOS or DMV. I think most states offer temporary tags to allow you to do exactly what you need to do. Too bad you're not in Michigan. This state does not require temporary tags to drive a newly purchased vehicle from the place you bought it to your house if you have insurance, no registration necessary.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

registration

You could just do what I did. Get in it and drive, and keep your fingers crossed. the likelyhood of getting pulled over on the interstate is small. I drove my skoolie 2200 miles with its original school bus plates on it and no one gave it a second look. (well, actually, a couple of state police did look, but I guess they figured it wasn't worth the trouble to stop me)

Also, some states give you a "grace period" after a new purchase to get the vehicle to its new hjome before registering it.

In indiana it is acceptable to use plates from any vehicle currently registered to you to transport a newly purchased vehicle.
fmtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

We used to have progressive and they don't like care for buses. They will insure a conversion as long as it is not a skoolie. The guy I talked with did not know why they don't he just said they don't. If you tell them it is a motorhome they will probably give you insurance. It seems like a lot of people just drive them home and hope for the best. In two years of talking with people on different boards I have never heard of anybody getting pulled over in an unconverted bus. Though I would hate to be the first to have it happen. Some insurance companies require you to take most of the seats out or pile them in the back.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote