Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Great information on the "Typical RV License Requirements" thread, but I'm left wondering why does everyone seem to want their bus registered as an RV?

I'm about to set out creating a tailgating bus and the best reasons I can come up with for a private bus are:

--To have more than 15 capacity (I live in Texas)
--For if I ever charge for going to events

Can anyone comment on the pro/cons of RV vs. Private bus? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all for a great site (with a nice new look, BTW)

brentag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
Skoolie

For Illinois, the rv plates are about $95 IIRC, and the plain ole bus plates are about $1000. So, to answer your question, I would say there are about 900 reasons to register it as an rv versus a bus.

Jeff
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

in michigan, it's cheaper to register as a non-commercial bus than it is an RV. I think Phillbus pays about double what i pay.

There could arise a police officer who tries to give you a hard time because your registration does not say Motorhome, but if you don't have commercial plates, or commercial insurance, and you're not using your vehicle in exchange for money, then you don't need a CDL.

I've been driving for a few years at least in a non-commercial bus, including several trips across the border, and i've only had one time that an officer questioned me about the fact that i don't have a CDL. I was able to explain to him that it is not a commercial vehicle and he had no problem with it.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #4

In Nebraska, it is cheaper to register it a s a Non-Commercial Bus than it is to register it as a RV.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
RV

In Missouri if the seats are left in it's considered a passenger vehicle by the state and a commercial vehicle by the insurance industry, CDL is required and insurance kills you. If the seats are taken out then the state calls it a "truck" since you can't do much with a bus with no seats except haul "stuff". The insurance industry also considers it a truck and will insure it accordingly. Truck tags for a bus/truck would be rated for 24,000 or 30,000 GVW and run from $125 up. RV tags are the same as a car, around $35 a year, no weight restrictions, insurance is the same as any other RV, mine runs about $25 a month, no CDL, anyone can drive it and you can avoid most all toll stations. I did have to re-title it as an RV after completion but for the rewards it is well worth it. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick
and you can avoid most all toll stations.
What do you mean by that? Motorhomes don't have to pay at toll stations?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I *believe* plates would cost the same either way in Minnesota. Once you break the threshold you pay on weight no mattre what the vehicle type. A flatbed with an 18,000 GVWR, a bus with an 18,000 GVWR, and an RV with an 18,000 GVWR all pay the same I believe. I know the trucks and RV's do for sure.

So what's the difference? Insurance and your driver's license.

A private bus would require a DOT inspection along with a Class B CDL with air brake endorsement and passenger endorsement. It's not hard, but it adds up a lot of expense. Couple with that the gross insurance and the need to keep up a log book and it becomes pretty clear why you would want an RV with 15 people including driver and the rest in a minivan behind you.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Bus Nut

toll stations,

toll stations, what do you call them??? I am having a brain fart. Weight stations, you don't have to stop or pay fees at a weight station. At least I never have, have you? Some of them say all trucks and buses have to stop. Do they ever say RV's? sportyrick
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
You said toll station so I thought you meant the toll stations on toll roads. Maybe you don't have any near you but Illinois and Oklahoma have a lot toll roads that you have to pay to use.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
Bus Nut

toll station

We have the turnpike from KC to Wichita and the one you were probably thinking of, the Will Rogers turnpike down in the OK. Thank the Lord we don't have any more in MO. sportyrick
Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
The law is VERY gray, but they generally seem to give RV's some liberty. In Minnesota the law technically says ALL vehicles over 15,000 GVWR must have a DOT inspection and get weighed up at weigh stations and over 10,000 you must have a DOT medical cert. and log books. The law says ALL vehicles...not all commercial vehicles. However, they seem to leave everyone but the big commercial guys alone.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Registration: Motorhome vs. Private bus

I just registered my bus in Michigan with the help of (Lapeer20m). I went to the DMV he sugested and still had problems. The clerk and I went round and round about what could be done and what I wanted. At first she said comercial only due to my dry weight fo 17,000 lb and my GVW of 34,000 lb. This would require inspections, certified weight certificate and a CDL. I kept explaining what I wanted and what Lapeer20m had done. She disappears in the back room for a loooonnng time and finally returns with the following. Fill out this half page form and it becomes a motorhome, just like that.

After all that I pay my $54.00 for plates, title transfer and taxes. Thats it, nothing more, done, done, done and I'm on the road.
Oh ya, my insurance is thru State Farm also as a motorhome, they required photos and wanted to know if there was a toliet, cooking facilities and sleeping (bed).

I'm legal and happy.

Hope this help's others in michigan.
Air Brakes
rail_hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Almost There

Did the toilet have to empty to a waste storage box or could it be chemical? I too have State Farm and they won't insure it until it looks like a motorhome but when I press them for what a "motorhome" is to them they don't have an answer.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Mine only has a chemical toilet, they did ask me if part of it stays in the bus I of course said yes (why would I carry both parts to be dumped). I made it look good by throwing my barn microwave and fridge in there for good measure.
Air Brakes
rail_hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #15
Bus Geek

I only have a chemical toilet and my State Farm agent was plenty pleased to insure it after seeing pictures.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:10 AM   #16
Almost There

Year: 95
Coachwork: Amtran ss-33
Chassis: Int 3800
Engine: dt444E
Rated Cap: 29,000
remember the federal rules for motor homes say the presence of four of the six items. they don't therefore require them to be operational. rules of statutory construction are precise. refrain from intending more than what is spoken of.
tincaneasybakeoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincaneasybakeoven View Post
remember the federal rules for motor homes say the presence of four of the six items. they don't therefore require them to be operational. rules of statutory construction are precise. refrain from intending more than what is spoken of.
wait, so i just have to have the items on site and can apply for RV status?
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Do we have us a lawyer in the house? Don't knock it, guys, could be useful.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Do we have us a lawyer in the house? Don't knock it, guys, could be useful.
i am not knocking it at all, I just want to be sure before i pay to file for my conversion permits lol.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

I was basically asking tincaneasybakeoven if he/she was a lawyer.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote