Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #21

Register, title in Illinois HELP! - #firstbus #forigen

So we've just paid a deposit for our bus to Midwest Transit, Illinois. We're so excited about it but we don't have any kind of experience with all the bureaucracy part: in titling, registering or anything really. To add to the problem, I'm Italian and my girlfriend is Portuguese.

So I'm here to ask a bit of help about the WHOLE process.

Register & Title:
do i need to make an appointment in some DMV or SOS by phone or web?

What is first: the register and title or the insurance of the bus?

Do I need insurance during the convertion?

I have read something about a temporary permite so we can drive the bus once we get it. Can you tell us something about this?

Helena&Juan

OsosViajeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #22
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsosViajeros View Post
To add to the problem, I'm Italian and my girlfriend is Portuguese.

I have read something about a temporary permite so we can drive the bus once we get it. Can you tell us something about this?

Helena&Juan
Illinois has a series of laws and steps you are required to complete before bus becomes motorhome. Except each Illinois DMV doesn't follow the law the same way and you will get different results.

Here is Official Checklist

You are supposed to carry insurance for any vehicle you drive. If it is still a bus and has air brakes, it requires a Commercial license until it is reclassified as an RV (exempt).

Here is a 7 day permit application, must go into DMV to complete.

Most people don't bother and you will never get pulled over in a school bus during the day unless you do something really stupid. You are so obvious, you are invisible.

Italian and Portuguese? I'm coming to your house for dinner !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
So we've just paid a deposit for our bus to Midwest Transit, Illinois. We're so excited about it but we don't have any kind of experience with all the bureaucracy part: in titling, registering or anything really. To add to the problem, I'm Italian and my girlfriend is Portuguese.

Register & Title:
do i need to make an appointment in some DMV or SOS by phone or web?

What is first: the register and title or the insurance of the bus?

Do I need insurance during the convertion?

Helena&Juan
I got Brunhilde through MWT. You DO get a 30-day drive-off permit in the back window which will allow you to get home. Oh, BTW, PLEASE indicate your location in your profile.

When you get home and get it parked, take the paperwork to DMV. Because we don't know where you are, we can't speak for your state. There, you will get the title for the vehicle AS A BUS. You may be able to change the title later down the line after you remove about 1400 lbs of seating, but, again, this is dependent on your state.

Insurance during conversion? I really don't think its necessary, unless you think you're going to catch it on fire. But, if its sitting still, motor vehicle insurance may not be necessary. Check with your insurance agent.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #24

I'm a foreigner (Italian, my gf is Portuguese, we'll be on tourist visa) but we have a friend in colorado and we're driving the bus from Illinois to her place where we'll do the conversion. Does this information help?

From insurance, we meant that we might need to insure it in order to drive it all the way south, right?
OsosViajeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #25
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
I'm a foreigner (Italian, my gf is Portuguese, we'll be on tourist visa) but we have a friend in colorado and we're driving the bus from Illinois to her place where we'll do the conversion. Does this information help?

From insurance, we meant that we might need to insure it in order to drive it all the way south, right?
If you buy the bus in Illinois, you get a title that says "bus". That is a dirty word because it suggests Commercial, which is more insurance, licensing, regulations. Do either of you have a valid US license?

You may get lucky and get it re-titled as RV, but would bet against that happening without the steps on the PDF.

I suggest just buying the bus out in Colorado- probably better buses anyway.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
OOooh! What you said, Rusty! The buses at MWT have been checked out. Besides, Osos has already put a deposit on the bus.

Osos, I drove mine from Kankakee to Billings, MT, about the same distance, with no insurance. Of course, I do have vehicle insurance, but not on Brunhilde.

What style did you purchase, conventional (with a hood) or transit (without a hood)?

You will have to make some adaptation to your bus. Remember, you're driving a brick. It's wider, longer, and heavier. Braking must be well thought out in advance. If your bus is transit style, turning must be done after your backside has passed the corner. Watch your mirrors and do so often. Look outside the right door to make sure you're still in your lane. It will drink more fuel, about 7 miles per gallon, so watch your fuel gage. Going through Nebraska (I-80) is boring and flat - very flat. Your trip will take you about 20 hours. Plan on stopping overnight somewhere after Lincoln, Nebraska and get a good nights rest.

As Rusty said, you're hiding in plain sight. Cops usually don't pull school buses over unless you do something REALLY stupid. Again, insurance might not be necessary unless you feel it might. You could get transit insurance through your agent, but I wouldn't. Chances are, you won't need it.

Retitling as an RV will not happen with all the seats inside. Get the seats out first. Check out Colorado's requirements before you make the jump.

Good luck.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illinois, registration, state farm, title