Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Chassis: Bluebird Handybus
Rated Cap: 24
Registration worries in Georgia

Hello Skoolers,

My friend and I have spent the past month converting our 24-passenger Bluebird bus into a motorhome. All the seats are gone, and we have beds, walls, a sofa, and kitchen area installed. We're soon to install a generator, wiring, and a/c unit. But, we've run into a problem.

We are residents of Georgia, and the friendly representatives of the Ga DMV informed me that there is no way we can register our vehicle as anything other than a 24-capacity bus. As they explained it to me, there is no way to change classification of the vehicle in this state. As best I understand it, this means that we will need CDLs, and get a worse insurance rate. Am I correct in thinking this? Are there other issues we will face driving a "bus" vs an RV or Motorhome? Should we try to get it re-titled in another state?
lukecanjuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Registration worries in Georgia

I have my bus registered in GA as a private motorhome.
First of all, the DMV (Dept of Driver Services) does not issue registrations (Tags and Titles).
They only issue driver's licenses.
Your local county tax commissioner issues the tags and titles.
I had no problems getting my tag and title. i told them the bus had been converted into a motorhome.

CDL's are only required for vehicles designed to carry more than 15 passengers including the driver.
Once you remove the seats, the vehicle is no longer designed to carry 15 or more passengers.
CDL's are not required.
reb336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #3

Year: 1990
Chassis: Bluebird Handybus
Rated Cap: 24

Well, that's interesting. I tried to call and ask what I needed to bring in order to show I'd converted my vehicle from a passenger bus into an RV. Maybe I just wound up talking to the wrong person, because she said she would have to call the state revenue department motor vehicle division (that's what I meant to type, not DMV). The state MVD told her, and later me when i called them back, that I couldn't register a bus as a motorhome in Georgia. But maybe that was all wasted effort on my part, and I will have better luck with the tag office clerk. What happened when you went, did they print a new title for you with a motorhome designation?

I see you're from Athens. So are we. You can check out our website at www.SafetyThirdJuggling.com. Thanks for your input.
lukecanjuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You can always go and register it in Clarke County!
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

go to gilmer county in ellijay ga an hr from u guys ,my bb is a bb/rv $125.00 per yr on tags..
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

I've registered 3 buses in Georgia as motorhomes. They were commercial vehicles when I bought them, but had them changed over to motorhomes by our local tag office. Twice they had to call somewhere to get some codes added to their software in the computer to get it to accept it, but it only took about an hour. There are a lot of offices that don't know what they are doing, so don't give up.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Team

good luck
I think it really is agent to agent biased
bansil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Woop...woop...congrates
bansil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Congrats y'all!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to rollydampolly

i live []in catoosa county just south of chattanooga tennessee. my local tag office called the state to check on this for me and told me if it was ever a bus in ga that it would always be a bus in ga no mater the mods. you did to it. at the same time my local state farm insurance agent will cover it so long as i have made the mods to make it a rv, they require (state farm insurance) that it have a cooking area bathroom and bed. now the state told my local tag office that they can put a tag on it that is private but it will be a bus on the regestration and title.

i have not bought a bus yet i was just trying to find out what i needed to do to get everything fixed up and make it an rv in the eyes of the law. i have a cdl and can drive a bus with no problems according to the state but id like to fix it where its an rv not a bus on the regestration and tags.

if there is a code or a local tag office or person in the tag office you have spoken to in georgia who can tell me something other than what mine has told me id love to speak with them and get my tag office to go along and do what they can to fix it. thanks so much for all the help in advance

daniel
ringgold georgia
rollydampolly is offline   Reply With Quote