Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Roadside Assistance Insurance?

Anyone have this?
I am curious about experiences with GoodSams, CoachNet, and AAA. Will they even take a skoolie titled as a motorhome? Anyone had good or bad experiences with any of these companies?

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Roadside Assistance Insurance?

I have good sam but fortunately have not had to use them. Its realatively cheap considering just one roadside tire repair service call would be at least the cost of the membership if not more.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I would suspect that Good Sam would have no problems with it, especially if you also use them for your vehicle insurance....as their insurance is underwritten by GMAC which is about the only company out there that insures SKoolies anyway...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Seeria,

GOOD SAM no question about it! Just made a 2100 mile trek & in the first 8 miles the bus broke down... I would have been there along side the road overnight if I had tried to find a mobile echanic on my own in the little town I was in. They took care of everything but parts used & there was a labor charge. Costs about $80 a year & they will cover ALL the vehicles in your name!! They will tow unlimited miles to the first qualified mechanic (not Joes Auto Repair down the street) which is reassuring. Good Sam gets my 2 thumbs up (lacking little smily dude with 2 thumbs up)

For insurance we went with GMAC & they ask no questions & insure all skoolies!

Jonathan
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emberglow
After much research we have CoachNet. Have yet to use them for the bus, but understand they're one of the few with unlimited towing (which would be really handy if something goes wrong here in Alaska or in Canada, where one might be several hundred miles from anywhere.) They also have a staff of certified technicians for the various subsystems (air brakes, engine, fridge, heater, etc.) that you can talk to if you have a problem, and they will try to help you repair the issue yourself if possible or help you find/come tow you to the repair shop if not. I told them up front that we have a skoolie and it was no problem, the rep on the phone thought it was pretty cool.

Another bonus for us, they include full roadside assistance for any other vehicle you drive (even if its not your vehicle) in the policy, and we have used that a couple times. Excellent service both times and no paperwork or other nonsense to deal with.
Ditto for Good Sam... just an FYI!
Curious as to what CoachNet charges per year?
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #6

Year: 94
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3L V8
Rated Cap: 12

I have GoodSam, because GMAC gave me a discount for having it. The discount was like $200 a year, and GoodSam costs like $100, so I'm still better off having it - even if I didn't use it - I wish that were the case - I've used it A LOT! Get it!

I bought an '94 Ford E-350 in May and have called GoodSam at least 5 times - 3 of which I was towed to a repair facility (Tire Blow Out, Starter, and Alternator). The tow charges were WELL over $100 each, so now I'm ahead just about $400 just because I have GoodSam.

I just added some photos to the gallery, so checkout these 2 albums for pictures of the tows...
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... er/NJtrip/
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... cansafari/