Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
On the other hand....
If I stop on the shoulder because my whole left side just went numb and there is a horrible pain in my right temple... I just might welcome a little Motorist Assist.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
On the other hand....
If I stop on the shoulder because my whole left side just went numb and there is a horrible pain in my right temple... I just might welcome a little Motorist Assist.
You'd still be too busy getting tazed and beaten with a baton for displaying "ERRATIC BEHAVIOR!!!" for them to help get you any actual medical attention...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
You'd still be too busy getting tazed and beaten with a baton for displaying "ERRATIC BEHAVIOR!!!" for them to help get you any actual medical attention...
But in this case the taser just might save his life, Then after the swelling goes down in your eyes you can thank the ones for saving you.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
On the other hand....
Absolutely agree. And indeed that would be a good outcome. Certainly a bus pulled over on the side of the road arguably should be "assisted" because of possible safety issues. And as the driver, you get to make that choice. Suffer signs of a stroke? Pull over and hope help comes. But if you dont have an emergency, or urgency, the smart money is to get off the road, into a parking lot, and then deal with it.

Again: I'm not hating on the cops. If they do their job lawfully, uniformly, and professionally, then we are all going to get along just fine. But Andy Griffith is long dead, so as I tell our clients, "the less Danno in your life, the better your life will be".

My core point is to intelligently control your exposure to them. Call them when you need them, sure, and be grateful when they catch the bad guys, but when one shows up on your doorstep without a warrant and "just wants to chat", close the door and leave it closed until they slip a warrant under it. Same goes with pulling over on a public road. Many expensive "misunderstandings" start this way.

Then again, I'm sorta betting against myself here because my house, car, bus, and kids college expenses were all paid by people who thought they "knew better"... at least until the harsh realities of life set in and my phone rings with cries for help.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
US law stops at the border, if you are going to Canada in anything other than a car, you should check with the province you are going through.
As far as I can tell, there are reciprocation agreements in place. Basically If it is legal were it is registered, you are good to go.
The vast majority of the time, here in Manitoba, as long as your equipment looks KINDA safe no one will bother you.
This even applies to commercial vehicles. Weigh stations are easily avoidable, and most are closed on a semi permanent basis. We do a lot of things in good faith here.

The province does have a couple of "commercial carrier peace officer" trucks though.