Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #1

Skoolie Gonna Be needs HELP! Massachusetts Insurance ?????

Hi,

I'm getting a Ford B700 located in upstate NY. The seats have already been removed but my insurance co won't cover it until it becomes an RV. Has anyone dealt with this in MA? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Claude

Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

that's one of the most frequently asked skoolie questions.

try GMAC insurance. They will insure a bus that is not yet a motorhome.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the GMAC reference but be aware that I said Massachusetts. All insurance common sense and user friendlyness ends at the MA state line. GMAC does not insure in MA and they pass you on to insurance finder sites. I'm waiting for calls back from them as well. If there are any Skoolies in MA please let me know what to do. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
I just registred in Mass. and I had far fewer problems then I thought. My bus came from NY too.

Technically, you should be able to register as a commercial vehicle with insurance costing about $2000 a year or you can do your conversion and register as an "autohome" with insurance costing about $525 a year. If you register commercial you don't need a CDL, but you do need to be ready to convince an officer that you are transporting "family, friends and their possesions". Easier and cheaper to do the conversion first.

There used to be an inspection before you could register as an RV, but that was dropped. Now I think the RMV relies on the garage doing the safety inspection (required within 7 days of registration) to drop a dime on people with camper plates on un-converted busses. There are probably rules about what constitutes a camper - but I don't know what they are. I had beds, cabinets, a dinette, a sink, a shower stall, a stove, and 110 volt AC - but no plumbing, tanks or propane yet. It looked like a camper inside.

I had my insurance agent take care of the paperwork and send their runner to the RMV for the plates. He just added the bus to our auto policy.

Jake.

PS: Oh, my title read "type: VEHICLE Body/Hull: BUS" and didn't need to be converted before I registered, it was submitted with the RMV-1 and I'll get a new title in the mail.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudeB
Thanks for the GMAC reference but be aware that I said Massachusetts. All insurance common sense and user friendlyness ends at the MA state line. GMAC does not insure in MA and they pass you on to insurance finder sites. I'm waiting for calls back from them as well. If there are any Skoolies in MA please let me know what to do. Thanks!
Go through a local agent, don't call the company directly, that brings only pain and confusion.

I had my bus delivered. cost was about $700 from the Hudson valley but it was mid-winter and they put it on a flat bed. If you use a driveaway service cost could be as low as $2-300 but you might have to wait 3-6 week for a driver to be in the right neighborhood. Google "driveaway" or "US Driveaway"
Old 07-29-2005, 12:25 PM   #6

Thanks Jake!

As it turned out when the RMV saw the pictures of bus with all but one of the seats removed they said I could register it as a truck or van. I chose van and got the title. The insurance co. was now happy to insure it and now I have the plates. You are very right about going through your local agent.
Now off to NY tomorrow to pick up my Skoolie Wannabe.

Thanks,
Claude
Old 07-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Skoolie

Ah! it must be under 26,000 lbs then, I didn't have that option as mine was 31,000 lbs GVWR.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #8

Yes, it is 25,500 gross which made things a lot easier.

New front tires and a new piece of exhaust pipe and it passed inspection. The yellow is being covered with white and conversion has begun.

Thanks again,

Claude
Old 01-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Insurance

I would highly recommend calling GMAC or getting on their web site and filling out the application.

I'm picking up my first bus this Sunday (1992 International w/ a DT3600 and an AT545 Allison; 110k miles) and I needed insurance quick. My regular All State agent couldn't help and I saw everyone on this site recommending GMAC, so I called.

After 15 minutes on the phone I had liability coverage with a 12-month term for $297. The agent told me they have a real niche in the RV/Bus Conversion business and it's developed into somewhat of a specialty for them.
Ottomobile is offline   Reply With Quote