Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
I second that. My local State Farm agent in Texas was able to get us pretty good coverage for a reasonable amount...

johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHieronimus View Post
Full time would mean not having a physical address and a P.O. box or friends place for mail. Once needing coverage, what are you gonna do? Fake a lease to proof residency somewhere? That means way more trouble than not having insurance at all.
Well, I'm not advocating lying to anyone, but you can rent a mail box with a private company that isn't a PO Box. Some of them are amazing and provide services including they will open mail if you ask them to and scan it and email it to you!! This would be amazing for a full timer. Mine will also sign for packages, email or text me when a package arrives, etc. They will hold mail, send it to you periodically, etc. And in the mountains a LOT of people have a physical address and a mailing address. Very few companies need my physical address and if I do give it to them I repeat 3-4 times, that is not my mailing address, do not try to send me mail there! My internet company needs it and my insurance companies want it because they want to know where my vehicles are parked or where I live. But of course it isn't parked there if I am on a trip. The only driving I have done so far was to drive it home. You can lease a parking spot and or a room with someone, usually a family or friend- write it up legally!- and use that address for your physical address. It should be somewhere you will physically visit periodically. You can have a different mailing address. Depending on what state you use the rules will vary as to the legal requirements for establishing residency. Some are WAY easier than others. I rented a closet in a house for very cheap rent with a written lease and put 2 suitcases in it to establish my residency when I moved to NV because I had not yet found a place to rent for my family. I was definitely moving out, though, and when I flew out to visit I wanted to take advantage of the 2 large suitcases I could bring with me and go ahead and get my license etc. Part of the rules in NV is the intention to live there, and I intended to move! Once we came up with the idea to move, we did it in about 6 weeks. Everyone was completely shocked and could not believe it. There are threads on the different states and residency elsewhere for full timers.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Letterbox service addresses are fine as a **mailing address** but throw up red flags or are outright disallowed by many financial / government systems if you try to use for your residential, "legal domicile" address.

In some cases you'll be fine for another couple years, but the feds keep tightening up on state requirements.

Your credit bureau address, drivers licence (if Real ID compliant), taxes, jury duty, voting, insurance, bank/brokerage etc should ideally all be the one and the same.

Whoever actually lives at that location should not get much if any mail once you've established your legal domicile there, almost all org databases allow for a second mailing address, or these days you can usually do everything paperless online.

Whatever you do, **don't** argue with the bureaucrats that your unique snowflake situation doesn't fit their pigeonholes. It's in your own interest as a nomad to make your "legend" fly under the radar, present as an ordinary wage-slave S&B citizen.

Just research in advance what documentation you need, give them stock answers that fit the computer checkboxen, have your check ready for the fees and stamp stamp you're on your way.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66pax
Anyone happen to know what Erie's stance is on skoolies?
CincinnatiNKYBuses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, allstate, insurance, progressive