Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

skoolieinsurance.com and others

I'm sure you've also seen them post ads in different skoolie groups. I'm looking at a Ford Collins Cutaway short bus on Monday and thought I'd try to get insurance ready for the drive home (6+ hours).

Just got an Email back from skoolieinsurance.com (which says they belong to my strategic insurance agency) and they quoted me 966$ annual, physical damage only, no liability, with the note attached that full-timers are not accepted for liability.

I'm in California, and I've read a lot of posts about insurance here. If I got it all right:

Progressive: Could insure as commercial vehicle privately owned, just pre-conversion.

Good Sam: Would insure once conversion is complete

AIS: Some guy scored a 125$/year liability for a bus he's converting, the thread says that it's only big busses, though?

Allstate: ?

American Family: ?

State Farm: ?

These are the ones I found on here. Our van is currently insured through Geico, might give them a call as well.

ChrisHieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

AIS declined. They don't offer any kind of insurance for skoolies in California. Bummer.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Just posting my California specific results here for anyone to find:

skoolieinsurance.com got me $330 quote for liabiliy through National General, but only for non-full time use!

Good Sam can insure, didn't say anything about full time, but only once it's fully convertet. So I guess were gonna use the first one til it's converted, then switch to Good Sam.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
I got insurance through progressive as a commercial vehicle for personal use for around 550 for a year. Granted that this is in Texas
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
If it is a cut away van,you might be able to insure it as a van through your normal car insurance
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Look man. How will they have any idea if you full time or go on two vacations a year?
Take the $330 offer. I know some worry warts on here will disagree with me but it's the best strategy.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Bus Geek

If there comes a time when a huge payout is required, they certainly can afford to put in the resources to investigate.

Remember, all they need do is deny your claim. The burden is on the consumer to then sue the carrier, and good luck proving you haven't been fulltiming if you have. aka fraud.

And that's just the legal / financial side, there is also an ethical one which really should not require further explanation.

What goes round comes around.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Being forced to have insurance isn't ethical or legal. Granted I do to avoid the hassle but we all have the right to travel unencumbered in this country as long as it's not a commercial vehicle.
You can take this to court like Carl Miller and win every time.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If there comes a time when a huge payout is required, they certainly can afford to put in the resources to investigate.

Remember, all they need do is deny your claim. The burden is on the consumer to then sue the carrier, and good luck proving you haven't been fulltiming if you have. aka fraud.

And that's just the legal / financial side, there is also an ethical one which really should not require further explanation.

What goes round comes around.
Probably best not to mention "ethics" when discussing insurance companies.

They would lose that argument.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I never said I assume it of others.

But their choices don't change what I expect of myself.

Yes it may mean I get shafted on occasion, but so be it; being able to sleep well at night is priceless.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Being forced to have insurance isn't ethical or legal
Libertarian pie in the sky cr^p, anyone paying attention to these "Sovereign Citizen" scammers deserve what inevitably befalls them.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Libertarian pie in the sky cr^p, anyone paying attention to these "Sovereign Citizen" scammers deserve what inevitably befalls them.
the Law isnt the problem as much as what happens in a catastrophe..

Ok yes you msy be an awesome driver and never ever wreck into anything in your life.. doesnt mean someone wont wreck into you...

ive been in 3 pretty major accidents in my life.. I drive a lot of highway as well as downtown cities in many states....

accident 1 - a SEMI driver under the influence (of smoke) blew a stop sign and i smacked him clean in the drive wheels with a 1981 cadillac...
his company insurance tried to deny the claim and say I needed to sue the driver because he was "not covered".. B.S. I sued the company and won...

accident 2 - a driver in downtown columbus ohio blew a light and T-boned me.. he took off on foot.. cops chased him down.. Busted... uninsured, illegal... skipped on court.. my camaro was toast... my insurance bought me a new car... (idd have been screwed without it)

accident 3 - my original school bus in a shared garage.. (such contracts are that you insure your own vehicle).. 2 guys trying to pour gas in the carb of a chevelle spill gas everywhere, start a fire... their insurance company made the statement that the garage contract explicitly states each renter covers their own damage... a suit was filed on behalf of other vehicle owners by their respective insiurance companies.. I never heard the results.. as my insurance paid out nicely for my ddestroyed bus...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Minotour
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3l Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHieronimus View Post
Just posting my California specific results here for anyone to find:

skoolieinsurance.com got me $330 quote for liabiliy through National General, but only for non-full time use!

Good Sam can insure, didn't say anything about full time, but only once it's fully convertet. So I guess were gonna use the first one til it's converted, then switch to Good Sam.

Can you tell me us if there was a particular agent with whom you worked? I'd like to try for the same.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
Can you tell me us if there was a particular agent with whom you worked? I'd like to try for the same.
Good Sam I called the number on their website and for skoolieinsurance.com I filled out the online firm and they emailed back.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Look man. How will they have any idea if you full time or go on two vacations a year?
Take the $330 offer. I know some worry warts on here will disagree with me but it's the best strategy.
Full time would mean not having a physical address and a P.O. box or friends place for mail. Once needing coverage, what are you gonna do? Fake a lease to proof residency somewhere? That means way more trouble than not having insurance at all.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Update. The $330 quote skoolieinsurance.com got me through National General got denied because of the vehicle type. 2001 Ford E350 7.3 Collins.

Got Progressive commercial for private use for $1200. Only option if I wanna be insured before he conversion is done.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Okay, local agent got me a six month policy through Mercury Insurance for $350.

First time I heard that company, didn't come up in any of the skoolie insurance discussions. Might be good to know for others.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #18

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Minitour
Engine: 2001 Ford e450 Superduty 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel
Just got denied by skoolieinsurance.com

I was denied by skoolieinsurance.com because we built a roof rack for our solar panels. I am going to try for Good Sam and see what they tell me..
omnicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Glad to hear you found coverage, thanks for reporting
Old 04-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Sometimes a good local agent that wants your businesses all it takes.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, allstate, insurance, progressive