Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
so I was asking State Farm...

...even though I dont have a bus yet and just thought what I was told several times so far.

The biggest thing is that it's titled as an RV obviously, they dont insure busses as busses, even for private use.

The next biggest thing was I was told "electric only" meaning no propane, no fuel oil, no woodburning furnaces, water heaters, or appliances even a hot plate. I guess the reason is they are really leery of the fire risk with anything home installed involving burnables. Electric range and stove poorly wired by an amateur to 240 volts with a stack of paper from my office printer next to it is fine, but a propane RV fridge or furnace apparently is not. :P Apparently this isn't an absolutely hard rule, but it makes them look extra close and gives them extra reasons to deny or cancel in the future if you work with someone else apparently. Maybe if it's professionally installed with proof of it they will view it differently, i'll try to find out more.

I'm glad I asked early, I may have to plan electric only at least for anything permanently installed, or alternately to look at other RV insurance providers like Good Sam. (never called, just see the ad endlessly in Motor Home magazine, but dont know if they do homebrews)

nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: so I was asking State Farm...

Huh...my agent didn't have an issue with my propane install and has never had an issue with paying claims.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: so I was asking State Farm...

My agent also has no problems with the propane. I have also never had a problem with them making good a claim.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote