Old 03-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
walk in to the dmv hand them title/bill of sale and drivers license and say "I just bought this and I need tags for it"

Print off my post with references to tag regulations, and since there are no written list/laws for what is in and classified as an RV or motor home you are good to go

It is NOT commercial so no commercial liscenecs needed, it is a personal vehicle for you to use...what are you using it for? CAMPING...not converting, not turning into an RV...you are just camping in it

It really is that simple, if you want we can chat on the phone this weekend and I can go over this in more detail

Yeah that was my original thoughts, but irritated clerks have raised my worries about just running with it. Only quarry is that info says rated 3/4 ton or lower; or 9000 lb weight or lower. Pretty sure I'm over both of those. But Yeah if you want, I'd love to chat and share some info. Sounds like you're farther along than me on this project
Bluetopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
my bus cruised on up Monteagle at nearly 45 or so with no problem. Did get a bit warmer than it was running for the whole rest of the trip, but I stopped at the top and let it idle and cool down for 30 mins and then proceeded to descend the grade. Was scary, but in reality my bus didn't mind it at all and performed admirably.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Push comes to shove, you can always contact Nashville and get the answers straight from the horse's mouth.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 34
In most states, the magic GVWR number is 26K as far as if you need a cdl, with exemptions for RV's. Thing is, your title has to actually say "RV" (or equivilant) for the exemptions to apply. Personally my bus is just under 26K and I have it registered as a Van, and plan on leaving it that way. I could save about $100/yr on insurance if I registered it as an RV, but then if GMAC ever stops doing skoolies, I'm up a creek as far as getting insurance on my vehicle. As a "heavy van" I can get insurance from more or less any insurance broker.
SR2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post
In most states, the magic GVWR number is 26K as far as if you need a cdl, with exemptions for RV's. Thing is, your title has to actually say "RV" (or equivilant) for the exemptions to apply. Personally my bus is just under 26K and I have it registered as a Van, and plan on leaving it that way. I could save about $100/yr on insurance if I registered it as an RV, but then if GMAC ever stops doing skoolies, I'm up a creek as far as getting insurance on my vehicle. As a "heavy van" I can get insurance from more or less any insurance broker.

That's what I'm talking about. This is my Maxivan as opposed to the more common minivans. Car plates, and in my case, an unmodified wheel chair bus that can be used for camping or hauling hay like a truck. I'm only at 25k but they're telling me a commercial policy is the only way.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's what I'm talking about. This is my Maxivan as opposed to the more common minivans. Car plates, and in my case, an unmodified wheel chair bus that can be used for camping or hauling hay like a truck. I'm only at 25k but they're telling me a commercial policy is the only way.
Yep, in NY it had to have less than 16 seats, but so long as it could carry both passengers and cargo, it meets the definition for a van.

As far as insurance, I have a "private use" commercial policy through Progressive. I paid $770 for the year, which isn't bad for a younger guy with an accident on my record.
SR2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Yeah, I am or was in the process of getting a commercial policy through Progressive. State Farm just sent me a lower quote with higher coverage. That surprised me because Nationwide just cancelled on me ten days after beginning the policy.
We're paying about the same but I've got two vehicles on the policy, but then I'm an old fart.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Push comes to shove, you can always contact Nashville and get the answers straight from the horse's mouth.

Well I tried that route, a couple times. Even different clerks/locations in Nashville gave me complete opposite answers on the matter. Nobody seems to know what the hell they're talking about.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
my bus cruised on up Monteagle at nearly 45 or so with no problem. Did get a bit warmer than it was running for the whole rest of the trip, but I stopped at the top and let it idle and cool down for 30 mins and then proceeded to descend the grade. Was scary, but in reality my bus didn't mind it at all and performed admirably.

Sounds like a fun adventure, can't wait to see what mine is capable of. What are you running?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post

I'll have to double check my GVWR, but there seems to be a grey area no matter which way you look at it, in the state of Tennessee that is. What does titling as a "heavy van" consist of? I know converting to an RV title is a pretty painstaking process. Also, according to farm bureau (my daily driver insurance), they would only charge roughly $16 a month for RV insurance, for a 23 yr old male. And they will insure it as an "RV" regardless of title status. As long as it is built and used as an RV. Just a bit of knowledge in case that is helpful to anyone. Now would the registration display what it is titled as? Considering nobody would carry their title around in their vehicle. if I was to be questioned on the issue, the vehicle registration would at first determine what license endorsements I would need to the eyes of a loving police officer.

Tags
air brakes, legal, license, registration, title