Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Twigg...

DesertMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Regarding Reg Needs to Be In State of DL ???

When I changed my Ca plates to Oregon she wanted me to get an OR drivers license but I passed because it seemed at the time to be another unnecessary fee ... How about this then, buy my bus here in Az and drive it home, go to DMV and get that OR DL and then register the bus???
DesertMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Take the class at a local community college- you get to drive semi trucks, too ! You will learn all about air-brake basics and feel more comfortable in your abilities.

It's a hoot. You don't have to get CDL license, but don't tell instructor until end.
I just looked it up again, to be sure. In MD I can take a 1 week course for CDL-B for light trucks, straight trucks, school buses, coaches, etc for $2500. The CDL-A for heavy trucks and tractor-trailers is 3 weeks and $4000.

I'm sure it would be lots of fun, but that's quite the line item for my bus project budget.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
What I did was just download the state CDL manual to study, used a bunch of free online practice tests and then took the CDL written test at the DMV ($20 as I recall). It wasn't strictly necessary and I probably won't bother to take the driving test to get my actual CDL, but I did find it useful for feeling more prepared and confident to drive my bus, understand the air brake system, etc.

Rob
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMax View Post
When I changed my Ca plates to Oregon she wanted me to get an OR drivers license but I passed because it seemed at the time to be another unnecessary fee ... How about this then, buy my bus here in Az and drive it home, go to DMV and get that OR DL and then register the bus???
If you drive it home on a CA drivers license it's the CA rules that will apply if you were to get pulled over. It would probably be good to at least know what they are. If you buy from a dealer in AZ they will likely take care of the AZ temp plate for you. Most states have defined time periods within which you are supposed to get your license vehicle registrations changed over once you move into a state. Lots of people bend these rules, but it can lead to hassles / fines if you get pulled over or when you try to register another vehicle or finally go to get your license. Again good to know what the rules are and have a plausible story ready.
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrms View Post
If you drive it home on a CA drivers license it's the CA rules that will apply if you were to get pulled over. It would probably be good to at least know what they are. If you buy from a dealer in AZ they will likely take care of the AZ temp plate for you. Most states have defined time periods within which you are supposed to get your license vehicle registrations changed over once you move into a state. Lots of people bend these rules, but it can lead to hassles / fines if you get pulled over or when you try to register another vehicle or finally go to get your license. Again good to know what the rules are and have a plausible story ready.
Ca rules are if it's under 40ft Class C ok if it's 40 or over Class B endorsement which is not a Class B license.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote