Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Question Start with the purchase

So I am researching to buy my bus and most my best options are a few states away, so I have a few questions?

Can I register the vehicle in a state other then the one I have my Licence(Tx)? Where I bought it with bill of sale? or maybe just another(Co/Ca)?

Is there a grace period for interstate driving to relocate the bus to the state to be registered in?

How can I make it so I do not need a CDL before I meet the requirements for a RV? Seat requirements? or Weight?

Tulsi.Om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Firstly, as an individual, you can only register a vehicle in your state of residence. The best you can hope for is an out of state resident temporary tag. Licensing issue is grey area. You should be fine driving the empty bus. Remember, you're only in trouble if you're in trouble. Don't get pulled over and you're home free.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Here in Virginia we have a trip permit that can be bought online with just simple information like vin and such. $5. It's such a nice option, i thank this state for keeping it simple to get vehicles home after a purchase.

I wonder if TX has a similar option
Good luck, can't wait to see!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I just won the bid on a bus that I'm pickin up Tuesday in MD. I'm planning to take the Title upon payin for it, go to local bmv, having called Monday to verify plan, & if no temp tag is bought, tape the title to window beside me or in back, & WING IT! I-68 W across MD to maybe 50? maybe 70, depending how it drives. The 7.3 was new 2yrs ago w/191k on it now.
Instead of converting it into an RV, I'm removing the walls & roof rearward from 1st window back. The 15 ft vinyl floor stays& a 102"W x 102"L steel deck gets welded underside of frame in back of rear axle. Two aluminum ramps, center channel & winch allows my bus become a Fltbd hauler. I'm considering cutting it off in MD B4 it's journey west to Cols OH
BogistJoeSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Rated Cap: 72
Just wondering if everything worked out okay? I live in Florida and just purchased a bus from MD, same bus you got I'm pretty sure. We have family up there and they are picking up the bus for us. Just curious as to how it worked going to the DMV after and if you have any suggestions/advice!
Thanks,
Lindsay
lindsaydagnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogistJoeSr View Post
I just won the bid on a bus that I'm pickin up Tuesday in MD. I'm planning to take the Title upon payin for it, go to local bmv, having called Monday to verify plan, & if no temp tag is bought, tape the title to window beside me or in back, & WING IT! I-68 W across MD to maybe 50? maybe 70, depending how it drives. The 7.3 was new 2yrs ago w/191k on it now.
Instead of converting it into an RV, I'm removing the walls & roof rearward from 1st window back. The 15 ft vinyl floor stays& a 102"W x 102"L steel deck gets welded underside of frame in back of rear axle. Two aluminum ramps, center channel & winch allows my bus become a Fltbd hauler. I'm considering cutting it off in MD B4 it's journey west to Cols OH
fellow Cbus here!!
I wouldnt cut it off before you drive it to C_bus as you will end up a wet mess with all the rainy weather we been having.. all the road water will just get sucked right in.. plus with no reinforcements on the front part of the bus id think you risk bending somethng till you get asll your reinforcements welded in..

scrap metal goes well here in columbus you can cut it off and scrap the metal pretty easily...

what kind of bus did you get? wondering if your windows are tinted and if they will fit my bus.. I want tinted windows but not having much luck finding any even though seemingly everyone on the forum takes out at leasst half their windows..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Firstly, as an individual, you can only register a vehicle in your state of residence. The best you can hope for is an out of state resident temporary tag. Licensing issue is grey area. You should be fine driving the empty bus. Remember, you're only in trouble if you're in trouble. Don't get pulled over and you're home free.
Not trying to ruffle feathers but this is incorrect. I know for a fact that, as an individual, Vermont will register anything. Regardless of residency. The odds of getting jammed up in your home state are slim too. I have been doing it for years.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
This gives me a thought..... you say VT will register ANYTHING, resident or not? Without any kind of inspection?

Since I'm gonna be fulltiming in my bus starting in a couple of weeks, maybe take a run up there and just get a UPS store mailbox to establish "residency", titile and register my bus as an RV there and not worry about it anymore. UPS Store will box up my mail and send it to me once a week, or twice a month, or whatever frequency I want.

This might solve any titling/registration issues I run into.... will just have to see what my county courthouse says when I go down there.

A question though... if I do the VT registration thing will they issue me a new title as well?
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
This gives me a thought..... you say VT will register ANYTHING, resident or not? Without any kind of inspection?

Since I'm gonna be fulltiming in my bus starting in a couple of weeks, maybe take a run up there and just get a UPS store mailbox to establish "residency", titile and register my bus as an RV there and not worry about it anymore. UPS Store will box up my mail and send it to me once a week, or twice a month, or whatever frequency I want.

This might solve any titling/registration issues I run into.... will just have to see what my county courthouse says when I go down there.

A question though... if I do the VT registration thing will they issue me a new title as well?
Read my thread HERE. It's very detailed and will answer all of your questions. You do not need residency and a PO Box would be a waste of money. You get a transferable registration if your bus is over 15 years old which you can later trade for a title in most states, though there should be no reason to do so.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
MOST states will do a VIN inspection when you re-title into that state...

my new bus i got in Texas.. i simplty went online and got a temporary tag for it.. and found out i can get 3 temporary tags in a row for up to 90 days of registration or until I title it in my home state..

when i brought my first bus home from florida to ohio.. it was still a bus.. just not yellow.. and definitely not converted.. and It was titled as a motorhome..

the DMV guy walked up to it, i showed him the VIN tag.. he verified the VIN on the title matched the VIN on the bus.. and said "ok".. we went ionside, he printed my registration and away i went...

I havrmt heard of states actually looking inside the bus to see if it has a sink, toilet, etc that they claim is required to be an RV.. ive only heard of it being published and peoiple getting scared of it..

has anyone actually been denied because a DMV person looked in the bus and said its not a motorhome?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
MOST states will do a VIN inspection when you re-title into that state...

-Christopher
Same with Oklahoma... Fortunately my bus came from Arkansas, so at the same time it was registered into Oklahoma as an RV.

I had visited with the tag agent before purchase, she told me how she'd do it.
I brought it in, she inspected vin, tagged & titled it on the spot.

Tags
getting home, interstate rules, no cdl, registration, seat/weight