Old 12-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy
Re: Tags in Ga or Fl?

I finally last week was able to jump the hoops with the state and I am now tagged and insured and 100% street legal. It took me over a year of phone calls and I would say 15 trips to the tax commissioners office for them to tag me as a RV. Georgia has a funky rule that a bus is a CDL commercial vehicle. But with the help of my local senator and other elected officials I was able to get a pass. And they never even looked at the bus. I was over joyed. The tags cost $147, when they become due again it will only be $20 a yr.. And my insurance for the last year is $200 every 6 months.All in all I think it was a pain in the a$$ but not too expensive.
"Escapin' through the lily fields
I came across an empty space
It trembled and exploded
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #12

That sounds like a big hassle to me, i might just try getting a bus from a guy down in florida. i think his site offered to have the title converted for you if you buy a bus from him, or if you own the bus he'll do it for a small fee (how ever much that is).
cucullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Bus Nut
Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

well ga boys ,,,some one must be pulling u'all leg ,,i just got my bus reg in ga cost me $18.00 title fee and $20.00 for the tag and its insured by prog insur fo $125.00 for the yr.....i rolling on down the road with no worry's

oh the bus is titled as a ..... blue bird/rv/bus...................the main word is,,,,,, RV,,,,, is what you looking for in the title

have a gooday and no cdls
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3L IDI
Rated Cap: 44

So I'm trying to register my bus in GA and the only remaining question is, how do I safely and cheaply title or register my bus as something other than a bus. The tag office says that they can't do anything unless I salvage it, have it inspected for $100 at some extreme inconvenience, and have them put motorhome on the new title. I must hope that the inspectors don't mind that its truly a bus, rather than a motorhome. I'm so frustrated! Even if I have the bus retitled out of state, it must be inspected as soon as I try to get replace the out-of-state title with a Georgia one.
The Eggcrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3L IDI
Rated Cap: 44

Alright, I've been tagged in Georgia. I had to speak with Debra Mitchell, Supervisor for the IRP Department, Motorvehicle Division of Georgia. I convinced her that my school bus (currently not converted....yet) could no longer be a school bus according to Georgia law, because it is not used to carry kids. She asked me what I would be then, and I goofed and said "truck". She took this to mean a private commercial truck so I have a 26,000 lb "JN tag". This will be fine in Georgia, but I can't leave the state. I hope to explain my mistake and get the standard tag for my bus. I can technically do this because, according to definitions provide in the Georgia Code, my vehicle is nothing but a private, non-commercial, not-for-hire, passenger car. I'll keep you guys posted. If this all works out perfectly, I'll let Ms. Mitchell know that there are others out there, so she should be expecting to repeat the procedure.
The Eggcrate is offline   Reply With Quote