Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

Year: 1966
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 48
Temporary insurance

Hey there everyone, I am wondering about temporary insurance for moving my bus. Ideally I want to insure it for one day. My neighbor will be driving it so I'm sure I'll have to have him on the insurance... Anyone have experience with anything like this?

Apostrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
For these kinds of vehicles I don't think there is such a thing.
My commercial policy was the only one I could get and its for a year. It also specifies that I am the only driver.
Best of luck.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:07 AM   #3

Year: 1990
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
I've heard of trip tags. Those are issued by the DMV to move your rig from one place to another without having to register it. Such as, moving a bus to your home so you can convert it into an RV.

In Virginia, if you don't have insurance, you can purchase it for $41 along with your trip tag at the DMV. Each state is different, and that's just what popped up when I Googled trip tags.

Something like that usually lasts for about 3 days, and I know people on here have used them. I would highly suggest taking the time to go down to your DMV, standing in line for several hours, and asking about this. Be very clear about what you're plans are for moving your privately owned non-commercial bus, and politely ask to speak to their supervisor if they don't know how to help you. Otherwise you have three options, as far as I understand. Your first option is to purchase an entire year's worth of insurance for about $500, possibly more to have your neighbor on the policy. Your second option is to find an insurance company that charges monthly, and then drop the policy a week after you get it, costing about $50. Your third option is to drive it home yourself like I did, sweating bullets the whole way, costing nothing.
ThePonyPatchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #4

Year: 1990
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
In Nebraska, when I need to move an uninsured unregistered vehicle, it's easy! All I need to have is the title and a hand-written bill of sale. The title doesn't even need to be filled out. I have State Farm auto insurance, and they insure any "newly purchased" vehicle/RV for 30 days, and I of course have 30 days to get it registered with the DMV, so I don't need to have plates on it. Pretty slick right? Maybe something like that could work for you if need be.

I'll stop giving you bad ideas now :/ Hopefully the DMV can give you a trip tag with "Uninsured motorist" coverage included for a decent price.
ThePonyPatchKid is offline   Reply With Quote