Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2
Texas Insurance

I'm new to the Skoolie world and super excited to get started on my bus! But, every insurance company I could find has turned me down. Are there some companies that will insure a school bus conversion in Texas?

Thanks!
TJHooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
FlyboyHPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 397
Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
I'm in Texas as well but have not insured my bus yet. I'm hearing a lot of folks having good luck with a company called National General. I also believe Good Sam Club has insurance contacts as well. Good Luck.
__________________
1999 International AmTran, DT466E, MD3060
https://flyboyrv.wordpress.com/
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHooker View Post
I'm new to the Skoolie world and super excited to get started on my bus! But, every insurance company I could find has turned me down. Are there some companies that will insure a school bus conversion in Texas?

Thanks!
This is what you have to do... I just did it myself. The first time you get insurance go through a private broker, get a commercial policy and tell them you will not be hauling passengers. It cost me 350 for a six month policy. After you get your insurance you have to weigh it at a certified scale, then get it inspected. When all of that is done you can go down and register it as a "passenger vehicle over 6000 lbs." now it is registered just like a motor Home. I took the VIN and title to my regular insurer and they just gave me liability for one year at 125 dollars a year! Couldn't believe it!
Bacliff Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2
Quick update, my bus isn't finished yet, but when it is, National General will insure it as an RV in Texas!
TJHooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,161
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacliff Jimmy View Post
This is what you have to do... I just did it myself. The first time you get insurance go through a private broker, get a commercial policy and tell them you will not be hauling passengers. It cost me 350 for a six month policy. After you get your insurance you have to weigh it at a certified scale, then get it inspected. When all of that is done you can go down and register it as a "passenger vehicle over 6000 lbs." now it is registered just like a motor Home. I took the VIN and title to my regular insurer and they just gave me liability for one year at 125 dollars a year! Couldn't believe it!
Any suggestions for a good private broker in TX?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
water boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: North Texas
Posts: 28
Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 IDI
I went through Texas Farm Bureau. For $400 a year I got 100,000/300.000 in bodily ins 100,000 in property ins and 30,000/60,000 uninsured motorists.

I went to their office to talk to an agent in person.
water boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,161
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by water boy View Post
I went through Texas Farm Bureau. For $400 a year I got 100,000/300.000 in bodily ins 100,000 in property ins and 30,000/60,000 uninsured motorists.

I went to their office to talk to an agent in person.
Is that as a converted bus or just as a bus?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
M1031A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Russell, Kansas
Posts: 1,118
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
We went through State Farm. If you're near Katy, TX there's a really good agent they have that insured us for almost 12 years without even a hitch on any of our odd-ball vehicles: an M1031, 3 M1009's, the 1988 Ford B600, and HF our 1989 Thomas. PM me if you would like his information.

M
__________________
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,161
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Got it handled- progressive commercial saved the day. Thanks, though!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance, texas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.