Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
You can always use National General. They are the left overs of GMAC which everyone used back in the day. They will insure non converted buses so your good at any stage.

I have had them with 2 different buses for well over 5 years or so.

After reading this post I am going to shop other providers and see what they have to say. Not that national general is expensive but if I can get a lower rate from another then yeah we will go with them. I have my regular auto policy with them and get a multi car discount but the bus has to be on its own policy due to different liability limits

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
You can always use National General. They are the left overs of GMAC which everyone used back in the day. They will insure non converted buses so your good at any stage.

I have had them with 2 different buses for well over 5 years or so.

After reading this post I am going to shop other providers and see what they have to say. Not that national general is expensive but if I can get a lower rate from another then yeah we will go with them. I have my regular auto policy with them and get a multi car discount but the bus has to be on its own policy due to different liability limits
Mine sharing what that charge?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #23
Bus Nut

I think my bus is like 43.00 a month. I live in the dfw area
Old 10-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: dt466e
Call Matt, bro. Might cut that in half. Unless you are looking for more than just liabilty
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Ill do it. I currently don't drive it a ton so I'd like to save if I can

Ty
Old 10-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
State Farm

Mine is with State Farm with full coverage, but mine is totally built out. Runs me $31.00 a month.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #27
Bus Nut

ADIC was not joking.... the quote all state gave me was about 200 a year less than national general. The limits and numbers were not exactly apples to apples but they are big enough there shouldnt be any issues.

I will probably be switching over to save a pretty good amount here.

Bapos

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Call Matt, bro. Might cut that in half. Unless you are looking for more than just liabilty
Old 10-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Another follow up to the allstate insure deal.....

I really liked their quote but the person who took my info and they emailed me the quote...... forgot to tell me the only way they will insure the bus is if I bring my all of my auto policy with it.

Soooooo..... I got a quote from them on the auto. What I would have saved on the bus would be chewed up by higher rate they want compared to National General for my auto policy.

So if you go to allstate the only way they will take your bus is if you all your auto. So be aware.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #29
Bus Geek

call Kelly Newsome at the Knowles Allstate office in Leesburg, 352-326-9300

Her contact might not require that.

What if your bus is your only vehicle?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #30
Bus Nut

She mentioned that name seems all bus stuff for each state funnels through her if she's in Florida

Not sure on bus being the only thing you have. Its not in my case. Seems tons of people get insured and stop paying just to get an id card. It apparently costs them a fair amount of money to write a policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
call Kelly Newsome at the Knowles Allstate office in Leesburg, 352-326-9300

Her contact might not require that.

What if your bus is your only vehicle?
Old 10-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #31
Bus Geek

I'd be happy to pay a full year or even two in advance in order to get a reasonable rate.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AMTRAN
Chassis: INTERNATIONAL 3500 8 WINDOW
Engine: DT466 7.3 LITER
Titled RV to MH and INSURED all in one day!!

So first off...I just got off the phone with Matt and let me tell you...of all the advice and info I've benefitted from on this site being referred to him was the most valueable! If you live in Texas and need to insure your Skoolie call Matt.

So I decided I wanted to title my bus from body style BU to body style MH directly. I recommend this if you have some time to spend on 'pre-building' your new soon-to-be pride and joy without needing to drive it. I took two weeks and pulled out all seats and flooring, filled screw holes, coated the metal floor in Rustoleum etc. Went to Lowes and purchased a prebuilt kitchen cabinet with ($149) and sink and faucet...mocked-up a countertop to mount on the cabinet and installed the sink/faucet. Put in mini-fridge, camp toilet, couch (spare from my back porch), filled out the VTR-61 after reading Chapter 11 of the TX Motor Vehicle Code, made copies of receipts for things I've purchased, took picts of the inside. Showed pics of the electrical and plumbing (pics...not necessarily my pics) went and got it weighed (yes this was risky since I was yet uninsured but the scales were 2 miles from my house). I organized it all and took it to the tax office. Supervisor was called over because the guy helping me had never done one...but no issues and viola I have a MH not a BU!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Assembled_and_Reconstructed_Vehicle_Manual.pdf (1.50 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf VTR-61.pdf (1.14 MB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf CONVERSION PHOTOS.pdf (2.00 MB, 17 views)
Shorty Wandermeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:57 PM   #33
Bus Nut

So tell me what do you see as being a mh vs a bu?

In Texas your registration free won't drop and as your finding out allstate doesn't have a diff rate from converters vs not converted? Unless I'm missing something?

Bapos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Wandermeyer View Post
So first off...I just got off the phone with Matt and let me tell you...of all the advice and info I've benefitted from on this site being referred to him was the most valueable! If you live in Texas and need to insure your Skoolie call Matt.

So I decided I wanted to title my bus from body style BU to body style MH directly. I recommend this if you have some time to spend on 'pre-building' your new soon-to-be pride and joy without needing to drive it. I took two weeks and pulled out all seats and flooring, filled screw holes, coated the metal floor in Rustoleum etc. Went to Lowes and purchased a prebuilt kitchen cabinet with ($149) and sink and faucet...mocked-up a countertop to mount on the cabinet and installed the sink/faucet. Put in mini-fridge, camp toilet, couch (spare from my back porch), filled out the VTR-61 after reading Chapter 11 of the TX Motor Vehicle Code, made copies of receipts for things I've purchased, took picts of the inside. Showed pics of the electrical and plumbing (pics...not necessarily my pics) went and got it weighed (yes this was risky since I was yet uninsured but the scales were 2 miles from my house). I organized it all and took it to the tax office. Supervisor was called over because the guy helping me had never done one...but no issues and viola I have a MH not a BU!!
Old 01-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

For me it was two things really. First when I started trying to find insurance as a private bus no one would cover it...or not Geico, Progressive, State Farm etc. An agent that turned me down suggested trying again when the title was no longer BU. Secondly I had the time to do the mock-up and found it helpful in planning. Had nothing to do with cost of registration and everything to do with ease of insurability. Now...all that being said if I'd have known there was a 'Matt' out there who would make it so painless I might have gone that route straight away.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Should have checked the forum first I think...might be on the road by now
Old 01-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Understand

But some states being a mh does lower registration costs just TX is not one of them. Some people are in a rush thinking it will here. This is why I make it known in here.

Insurance is and will a pia with buses. Most places use to insure but that got abused so it got lots harder. Next thing that Insurance companies will be cracking down on will be roof decks and fire places.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Wandermeyer View Post

Are those your pictures of the counter and the reversed bench seats? If so do you have any more pictures. I want to do the same to have a booth setup and safe seating. Oh and Matt’s agency is the best!
Jrthompson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:42 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
Another follow up to the allstate insure deal.....

I really liked their quote but the person who took my info and they emailed me the quote...... forgot to tell me the only way they will insure the bus is if I bring my all of my auto policy with it.

Soooooo..... I got a quote from them on the auto. What I would have saved on the bus would be chewed up by higher rate they want compared to National General for my auto policy.

So if you go to allstate the only way they will take your bus is if you all your auto. So be aware.
I didn't have that experience with Allstate/Matt Scheffler. Although I did ask them to quote my auto (currently w/Geico) and they were about the same so I may switch just out of the convenience of having one insurance payment....
Old 02-06-2021, 05:49 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrthompson83 View Post
Are those your pictures of the counter and the reversed bench seats? If so do you have any more pictures. I want to do the same to have a booth setup and safe seating. Oh and Matt’s agency is the best!
Hey Jr. Yes those are two of the bus seats facing each other. I have a teak table from an old boat that will go in between them and just purchased mounting kit (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VRFZ393...v_ov_lig_dp_it). My bus has the floor tracks down the left side. I left them so that I could 'modularize' the kitchen and dining area by bolting in rater than screwing through the floor. That way if I'm hauling a bunch of friends to the lake and need seating more than a sink and stove I can pull the kitchen 'module' out and bolt in another couch. I'll put some more picts up today
Old 03-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #40

Matt + Jeremiah at Allstate = 2 thumbs up!

Just registered to say thank you for referral to Matt’s team at Allstate. Jeremiah helped me and it was painless! Very affordable too and even got renters insurance at my physical address but it will also cover my belongings in the skoolie! Weeee. Now I can title it... Was thinking about selling my shuttle bus but now not so sure. Gonna try it out for some time before I really decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbes View Post
Hi folks,

Just wanted to drop by and +1 Matt at Allstate. He made it super quick, easy and painless. Definitely give him a call!

Attached Thumbnails
7D3D19B3-279B-4783-A899-D13ED5A1DBB5.gif  
lizrob is offline   Reply With Quote