Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 9
Texas: Transporting The Bus For the First Time / Taking Off The Lot

Hi all,

So I'm still in the research phase, and wanted to know about one simple subject:

What all do I need to know before the day I take bus off the lot? How much of the process (legal, etc.) needs to be completed before transporting a newly purchased bus?

For instance, will my regular Class C license be sufficient to get an un-renovated, fresh-off-the-fleet bus home without any complaints from officers? And will I need to have purchased liability insurance? What are your experiences here?

Finally, when purchasing a formerly public bus for private use, will it remain classified as a commercial vehicle and therefore am I required to drive with a CDL? That seems bogus, but I don't know till I ask. Elsewhere I read on the thread that a bus with more than 15 seats would require this (even as a "private bus") which mine would be, but I can't imagine needing to get a CDL just for the duration of time it takes to get the seats removed.

Raanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek
o1marc's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,534
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Spend some time searching and reading all you can here, all your concerns have been addressed. Check with your state laws for clarification. Most important is to never drive a vehicle on a public road uninsured. Once the bus has been decommissioned it is no longer considered a commercial vehicle if there is not seating for 16 passengers ( not 16 seats). Some states allow driving on the BOS for up to 30 days before registering. Some insurance companies automatically cover you for 7-30 days under your existing auto policy, check with your agent.
Bottom line, don't drive like a jack ass and LEO will have no reason to discuss CDLs. Your bus probably won't go much over the speed limit, so why are you talking to officers? If you get questioned just explain it is a new purchase you are transporting home, here's my BOS, signed over Title, and my proof of insurance. You should be good. You don't need insurance or registration if it's in your yard under construction and your ot taking it on the open road. You will need a "commercial for private use" policy if you're driving it during construction until it meets the requirements of an RV to qualify for lower RV rates.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek
Tango's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Texas can issue a 30 day "Transit" tag for moving any vehicle. As for insurance, most auto policies here will cover any "new purchase" for some period of time.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 9
Thanks, all this helps!
Apologies if I duplicated any earlier threads, I've spent a fair amount of time reading but found conflicting info, so wanted to ask my questions directly. Lots to learn and consider, and many very helpful folks on this site. I'll talk to my insurance in advance of the purchase.
Raanman is offline   Reply With Quote

insurance, purchasing, registration, texas, transit

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.