Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
GROSS vehicle weight rating is from the manufacturer and how the laws are based concerning CDL's. You should really look into this stuff!
Its the maximum weight the vehicle is rated for.
If under 26k you will not need a cdl.
EastCoastCB is right. To make the point just a little further, "registered" weight is irrelevant to driver licensing. A truck registered for 20,000 pounds but with a GVWR plate showing something over 26,000 pounds requires a CDL driver (and the other things cowlitz mentioned) when operated in commerce, ie not privately/personal use.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #22
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
EastCoastCB is right. To make the point just a little further, "registered" weight is irrelevant to driver licensing. A truck registered for 20,000 pounds but with a GVWR plate showing something over 26,000 pounds requires a CDL driver (and the other things cowlitz mentioned) when operated in commerce, ie not privately/personal use.
Looks like I'm off to get my CDL then. thanks so much everyone for helping me out on this journey. It certainly beats skating around the system only to get slapped down the road when I register the business and they ask about the vehicle. Or as someone else mentioned, if insurance finds out that it's not registered properly or you're not licensed properly they may drop your coverage.

Makes me want to just get a concession trailer and call it a day lol.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Looks like I'm off to get my CDL then. thanks so much everyone for helping me out on this journey. It certainly beats skating around the system only to get slapped down the road when I register the business and they ask about the vehicle. Or as someone else mentioned, if insurance finds out that it's not registered properly or you're not licensed properly they may drop your coverage.

Makes me want to just get a concession trailer and call it a day lol.
The concession trailer would probably be easier, cheaper, and more effiecient.
EVERY vendor in my area use trailers almost exclusively.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Out west here 99% are in P-30 vans. Personally I like the floor height of a trailer better than a bus. The trailer also eliminates the licensing and weight of the vehicle issues.

Hey, what are you cooking anyway? Do skoolie drivers get discounts?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The ones that aren't trailers here are p30's! Good call on that Robin!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #26
Bus Geek

I don't know why, but it's rare to see a concession business in a trailer out west here. There are some trailer concessions but the vans seem to be highly preferred. Probably because it's simple to park the van, or roll when you want to, without a pull vehicle or connecting a hitch. This area seems to have run out of P-30s and they sell high.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
same in ohio too... P-30's or trailers.. i did ssee one that was a cutaway van chassis school bus..

in austin TX. I know of a couple full size busses as food trucks..

I know the food truck festivals and events in ohio have length limits on the trucks and trailers..

county and state fair a little more lax..

food-truck festivals that ive seen didnt allow food trailers.. the food truck had to be self-powered..

all depended on who was hosting the event what they will and wont allow..

one even only allows hand or bicycle pedaler food carts..

I think alot of food vendors like P-30's because of the low deck height.,. make it easier for patrons walking up to the truck.. being able to succesfully shout their order in and get reached when it completes..

I think a tall bus on full size 11R22.5 tires might intimidate potential customers.. people like to speak as close to eye-eye as they can..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #28
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
I went back and forth on which route to go with, from concession trailer, to P30 or Sprinter, to finally the bus... here are some of the reasons why I opted for the bus over the others;

1. Stand out against the other P30's and trailers at events.

2. Not have to deal with a trailer hitch and have the ability to just drive away without having to hook up and all. Especially helpful on rainy days here in FL. Some venues don't let you keep your pulling vehicle nearby so I would have to park it somewhere else.

3. Much cheaper than the other two options. Also, by having the handicap door already integrated, I can use it as the service window, I don't need to do any cutting.

4. I'm serving Filipino food (similar to Flip N Tasty in Tampa https://www.tampabayfoodtruckrally.com/flipn-tasty) and figured this can be my take on a Jeepney but an American version. For those who don't know, it's one of the main methods of transportation in the Philippines that uses a Jeep but they extend it like a bus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeepney (This is also why I'm going with the dog nose style versus the others even though when I do a Skoolie it'll be flat most likely or at least Vista)

Discounts? Sure! Swing by when I'm open and I'll take care of you.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #29
Bus Geek

I've never had Filipino food before. I spent most of my time in Korea and Germany. Now I've got kind of a Korean/French cooking style.

I'm still addicted to food so I'll see you there someday.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
It costs you under $50 and 3-4 hours of studying a manual they give you for free to get a CDL if any of you are worried that much about it.

-got mine today. permit anyways.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #31
Almost There

Year: 1985
Engine: 9.0L v8 IHC
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Saw this guy driving down the road the other day. Followed him for about a mile, luckily he stoped and I got to check out his rig. He had it filled with equipment, and huge generator, full service food truck. Three workers fit in there pretty comforrtably, and he loved it. Said he had been using it for five years and it always got extra attention because it looked so cool. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5542.jpg   IMG_5543.jpg  
theradiumdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #32
Bus Geek

At the DMV I asked how I could get an air brake endorsement added to my license and the clerk looked at me like "What planet are you from?" She says we got class "B" for buses and class "A" for real trucks. Family and neighbors are logging truck drivers, class "A." I don't claim to know how commercial truck licensing works because I'm not a trucker. I'm just thinking the class "B" license is more applicable to converted buses than a class "A" license that is usually for commercial purposes. I do have a motorcycle endorsement from the DMV, so why not an air brake endorsement? Just sayin.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #33

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Amtran/Ward
Chassis: Crane
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
At the DMV I asked how I could get an air brake endorsement added to my license and the clerk looked at me like "What planet are you from?" She says we got class "B" for buses and class "A" for real trucks. Family and neighbors are logging truck drivers, class "A." I don't claim to know how commercial truck licensing works because I'm not a trucker. I'm just thinking the class "B" license is more applicable to converted buses than a class "A" license that is usually for commercial purposes. I do have a motorcycle endorsement from the DMV, so why not an air brake endorsement? Just sayin.
Class B Licenses are for straight truck or bus and Class A are for tandem (Truck and trailer). The different classes of license additional have endorsements that are required like Air Brakes, Passengers, Hazmat, etc this is as at least applicable to Oklahoma from what I have researched. I would assume this is a similar framework nationwide since the core requirements are a federal regulation.

I am trying to figure out if I can use my bus with no seats for a Class B test without having to do the passenger endorsement (which I hear is a pain in the rear). Not looking forward to parallel parking a 36' vehicle
luckyme468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Its a bunch of crazy stuff really. Kinda. You would want class b for a bus because it entails a straight truck (26,001+lbs) with nothing in tow over 10k which would be a bus. But a class A is a truck and trailer combo over 26k that can tow more than 10k. Class a, b, c all come with same endorsments (tanker, doubles/triples, hazmat etc...) Then you just have your reg class D license where you get the reg endorsements (motocycle, moped, mine has firearm certifcate) i dont enjoy license stuff at all. I barely understand half of it. If you take class a, b, or c you can drive a rig with air brakes and that is not a special endorsement. Nothing in the class D license range should have air brakes. I could be wrong though...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Error in post sorry
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize they had class D licenses. Good thing I was a C student.
A firearm endorsement, is that how they do the consealed carry permit now?

Originally we were trying to figure out how to get across Canada's border with any type of air brake endorsement. From what both of you have said the class B would be the way to go. I didn't realize after getting a class B you'd also have to get a passenger endorsement to haul passenger. Seems redundant. In effect the class B is our brake endorsement that should allow us to enter Canada? It would be pretty fun to drive through Canada to Alaska. I've seen the mosquitos up there and you'll want bug screens if you're headed that way.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #37
Bus Nut

If you can drive a car you have a class d license. The firearm endorsement is not conceal and carry its for hunting up here in mn. You do not need a passenger endorsment with your class B for your bus unless you got a family of 15+ riding with you robin!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Thank you. I know I don't need a passenger endorsement. Never heard of a firearm endorsement on a license. Different states you know?