Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas MPV
Engine: Cummins 6BTAA
Rated Cap: 84
Insurance

I'm from BC and bought a Texas bus. Drove it to Arizona and converted it into out full timer. In Arizona I needed insurance before o could plate it. I couldn't find anyone because of my BC drivers licence and only an rv park for an address. Finely I called AAA and told them I have had a bus insured in Canada for years with the Canadian affiliate. All of a sudden no problem. Still insured in Arizona just can't drive it in Canada with American plates.

powderskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoman14 View Post
Call your local Farm Bureau agent. I tried several different companies and none of them would do anything the second they understood that it was a bus. Farm Bureau had no issue with it, and no requirements other than I had to have my car insured with them as well. The insurance adjuster did check up about a month later wanting pictures proving it no longer had logos, stop sign, etc.

Registration, here in UT they went ahead and registered it as an RV without needing any proof of anything. They needed to know the weight off of the vehicle info plates, and I was charged a weight based fee.

Cost has been minimal overall.

Could you please tell me what the process was for you in UT? I am down in St. George and buying a bus next week. Can I really get it registered and titled before conversion? All the DMV here has really told me is that if I remove all seats I won't need a CDL. They couldn't even tell me what was needed to change title/registration, just that I would have to keep receipts and put o. The application forms what was planned to be done.
Warever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warever View Post
Could you please tell me what the process was for you in UT? I am down in St. George and buying a bus next week. Can I really get it registered and titled before conversion? All the DMV here has really told me is that if I remove all seats I won't need a CDL. They couldn't even tell me what was needed to change title/registration, just that I would have to keep receipts and put o. The application forms what was planned to be done.
It seems to be easy to pull the wool over the eyes at DMV, many here seem to have. Your insurance will be a different story, do not try and pull the wool there, you will be up a creek without insurance. Most states require 4 of 6 requirements for it to be come an RV.

RV:
Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #24

I have the insurance already but am curious about the DMV. Going on Friday, just bought my bus. It's 14500 gvwr so fine there CDL wise, and am taking all but 1 seat out tomorrow. So what am I going to expect at the DMV? I can't find any info at all. I'm in NV, but how was it for you? It will just be a shell that can seat 3, that's it. Eventually a food truck. Do I just expect them to take a look at it to prove seats etc., see my title etc, and I pay and leave? Or is it a pain?
IzzysPizzaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #25

Georgia specific info - Registration, CDL

I'm getting insurance through National General. Got the quote today and they didn't seem to have a problem with me not converting it. Now, I have questions regarding Registration and CDL. My bus is 1986 International S1800. GVW is 26,800.

Georgia specific info requested:

If all but 4 seats are removed and no conversion is going to be done, can I register it as a recreational vehicle (it will be basically a metal tent on wheels for deer camp)?

The weight is > 26,000 - does this mean I need CDL? Or Class B? Basically, what driver's license do I need in order to drive it legally?

Thanks
I_Love_My_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Bus View Post
I'm getting insurance through National General. Got the quote today and they didn't seem to have a problem with me not converting it. Now, I have questions regarding Registration and CDL. My bus is 1986 International S1800. GVW is 26,800.

If all but 4 seats are removed and no conversion is going to be done, can I register it as a recreational vehicle (it will be basically a metal tent on wheels for deer camp)?

The weight is > 26,000 - does this mean I need CDL? Or Class B? Basically, what driver's license do I need in order to drive it legally?

Thanks

Georgia:

Class C

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 10,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance.

It would appear that if you have a class C and your bus is registered as an RV you are good to go.

If it is registered as a bus you may need a class F.

Class F (formerly Non-Commercial Class B)**

Single vehicles weighing 26,001 or more pounds; and the unit being towed is less than 10,000 pounds; and motor vehicles included within Class C. Applicants must possess a Class C driver’s license prior to obtaining a Class B driver’s license and be at least 18 years of age.

Applicants for a Driver’s License in Classes E or F (non-commercial) must submit a Form DDS-36 (Affidavit showing minimum driving experience of 3 months and/or 3,000 miles in type of vehicle for class of driver’s license being applied for.)
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #27

Thanks PNW_Steve!

So basically, the license requirement is dependent on how I'm able to get it registered. Appreciate your input on this.
I_Love_My_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Bus View Post

Thanks

Look on the back of your license and tell me what it says you can drive. If you have any questions about what it says, give me your definition of "all"?
Old 08-31-2018, 07:42 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I said most states. Don't know what state you're from because you haven't filled out your profile in the UserCP (upper left). Illinois makes you have a CDL for an RV.
Incorrect.
Quoted from the booklet I got from the DMV here in Illinois:
"Operators exempt from obtaining CDL
Recreational Vehicle
When using a recreational vehicle primarily for personal use, you do not need to obtain a CDL."

I went to my DMV and together with the lady at the desk, who was unsure and made some phone calls, we determined that I don't need a CDL, just a non commercial Class C. From what she told me, I'll need to take a written test, get my permit, practice, then take the driving test, and bam I have my Class C.

I need a Class C because of the weight of the vehicle, Class C being a vehicle more than 10,000 lbs but less than 26,001 lbs or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 lbs.
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #30
Bus Geek

After seeing replies here from people saying they got insured through State Farm during the build process I contacted my agent who had been adamant about them not covering it until it was completed as an RV. They sent me to a competitor who ended up getting me a Progressive policy for $171 a year for basic liability. I asked why others were claiming to be able to get a policy they were telling I could not have. They called the underwriters and got back to me this morning. They can in fact write me a minimum liability policy for ONLY $400 for 6 months, OUCH. Looks like I'll be staying with the Progressive policy.

Tags
help please, insurance, pre conversion, registration, title