Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 19
Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Title, Registration, and Insurance BEFORE converting

Hello everyone!

I have spent the past few days searching this site and some skoolie facebook pages for advice and haven't found a real concrete answer, so I'm hoping you can help me out!

I recently bought a bus in Idaho (where I am living for work at the moment). My drivers license is from Florida. I need to register and insure my bus so I can drive it to shops and possibly to move for work again.

What should I title/register/insure it as, should I do that in my home state or in my current state, and what insurance agency/agencies are my best bet?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,342
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Tricky during the procedure. While it is a bus with seats in it (for16 or more), it will be registered as a bus. You will need a "Commercial for personal use" policy during the build out, as many insurance companies will not insure it as a bus, but will once the RV/MH conversion has been completed. Do a search, there are many active threads on the issues of insuring our Skoolies.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 19
Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Tricky during the procedure. While it is a bus with seats in it (for16 or more), it will be registered as a bus. You will need a "Commercial for personal use" policy during the build out, as many insurance companies will not insure it as a bus, but will once the RV/MH conversion has been completed. Do a search, there are many active threads on the issues of insuring our Skoolies.
Does it matter what I register it as or what the title is for?
Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
Hello everyone!

I have spent the past few days searching this site and some skoolie facebook pages for advice and haven't found a real concrete answer, so I'm hoping you can help me out!

I recently bought a bus in Idaho (where I am living for work at the moment). My drivers license is from Florida. I need to register and insure my bus so I can drive it to shops and possibly to move for work again.

What should I title/register/insure it as, should I do that in my home state or in my current state, and what insurance agency/agencies are my best bet?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Where to register/insure depends on where you live/license and registration rules. Since all the states are different, I'd start by checking with FL and ID motor vehicle departments. Then check trustedchoice.com for whichever state and see if anyone has National General.

VA for example, most of the carriers have a limit to the time a vehicle is garaged out of state before it's ineligible for coverage.
__________________
Ricky Burgess,
M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 19
Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
Where to register/insure depends on where you live/license and registration rules. Since all the states are different, I'd start by checking with FL and ID motor vehicle departments. Then check trustedchoice.com for whichever state and see if anyone has National General.

VA for example, most of the carriers have a limit to the time a vehicle is garaged out of state before it's ineligible for coverage.
Any suggestions for what to say or what not to say? I've seen some people say that you shouldn't volunteer that you are converting the school bus because not everyone is on board with that.
Does it make much difference what its titled or registered as?
Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,342
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
Any suggestions for what to say or what not to say? I've seen some people say that you shouldn't volunteer that you are converting the school bus because not everyone is on board with that.
Does it make much difference what its titled or registered as?
Your insurance will be based on what the title says it is. You have to meet certain requirements for different designations. You can't just tell DMV that it's something it's not. You can't call it an RV without 4 of 6 requirements. You can't call it a motorhome with seating for 77. Some here have tried to make us believe they walked in called it this and they just changed the title to it. I don't believe it, and if it did happen it was due to negligence in the DMV and may come back to bike you in the arse when your insurance company finds out it is not what you claim.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
Any suggestions for what to say or what not to say? I've seen some people say that you shouldn't volunteer that you are converting the school bus because not everyone is on board with that.
Does it make much difference what its titled or registered as?
I'm an agent, I want you to tell me as much as possible so I can find you a policy that will cover you. The last thing I want is you to have a claim and to be denied. In my experience in VA what it is titled/registered as is unimportant.

If you were calling me for a VA quote, I'd ask what you've done to the bus so far, what your plans are, how many seats are left, what you're using the bus for. If you have a valid commercial use for it, we could do a commercial auto policy. Commercial for Personal Use isn't valid in VA, I don't know if other states are still doing that but I keep seeing it suggested on the forum here. If you're just getting started and are going to convert it then I'd do an under conversion rv quote.
__________________
Ricky Burgess,
M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 19
Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Your insurance will be based on what the title says it is. You have to meet certain requirements for different designations. You can't just tell DMV that it's something it's not. You can't call it an RV without 4 of 6 requirements. You can't call it a motorhome with seating for 77. Some here have tried to make us believe they walked in called it this and they just changed the title to it. I don't believe it, and if it did happen it was due to negligence in the DMV and may come back to bike you in the arse when your insurance company finds out it is not what you claim.
I've read though that you need a CDL to drive it unless its registered as an RV. There is so much conflicting information out there haha this is all super difficult because of it.
Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 19
Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
I'm an agent, I want you to tell me as much as possible so I can find you a policy that will cover you. The last thing I want is you to have a claim and to be denied. In my experience in VA what it is titled/registered as is unimportant.

If you were calling me for a VA quote, I'd ask what you've done to the bus so far, what your plans are, how many seats are left, what you're using the bus for. If you have a valid commercial use for it, we could do a commercial auto policy. Commercial for Personal Use isn't valid in VA, I don't know if other states are still doing that but I keep seeing it suggested on the forum here. If you're just getting started and are going to convert it then I'd do an under conversion rv quote.
So, when I go to call an insurance agency, would it be helpful to ask for an "under conversion RV quote"? Or what should I lead with when calling an insurance company? I've only tried one so far (geico) because I have my car insured through them and they are a no go.
Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
So, when I go to call an insurance agency, would it be helpful to ask for an "under conversion RV quote"? Or what should I lead with when calling an insurance company? I've only tried one so far (geico) because I have my car insured through them and they are a no go.

Figure out which state you need to be insured in, and then try an independent agent. Tell them you've got a bus you're converting to an rv and you've heard from an out of state agent that National General will look at them in certain states and get them to check on it for you. Or see if you can get a quote directly from National General.

There's another agent in another state on here that is captive to Liberty Mutual who will do them in their state, so you might try a Liberty Mutual agent as well.

A captive agent will only have one company (these are your State Farms, Farm Bureau, Allstate, etc), where an independent agent will have multiple carriers they write with. Our agency has 8 that do home and auto, and then 3-4 each that either do auto or home only. This way we can check your quote with all of them and figure out which is the best for you.
__________________
Ricky Burgess,
M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
help please, insurance, pre conversion, registration, title

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.