Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Title switch to motor home and insuring in SC?

Just bought a 1989 FORD B700, and I've got some questions.

Anybody have experience getting there skoolie retitled to motorhome and getting it insured in South Carolina?

Do they do an inspection before giving you a new title and registration? Seeing as we have no vehicle inspections on vehicles in SC, but do have to meet 4 out of 6 requirements to be a motorhome I'm wondering if there is an initial inspection to show you meet the requirements to be considered a motorhome.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ol'DirtyHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:08 AM   #2

I saw a video saying no but if you get into an accident, it better be converted into an RV. I think the video was under cheapRVliving on YouTube or a search. I also saw a detail thread on here about how to register , covert to RV etc. Good luck!
ReelSchoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelSchoolie View Post
I saw a video saying no but if you get into an accident, it better be converted into an RV. I think the video was under cheapRVliving on YouTube or a search. I also saw a detail thread on here about how to register , covert to RV etc. Good luck!
I plan on converting it. Just wanted to go ahead and get the title swapped and get it registered aND insured as a motor home instead of registering and having to switch it all over when I'm done with the conversion.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'DirtyHobo View Post
I plan on converting it. Just wanted to go ahead and get the title swapped and get it registered aND insured as a motor home instead of registering and having to switch it all over when I'm done with the conversion.
You may have some challenges insuring it as an RV before the conversion is completed.

Particulars vary by state and insurance company. My insurance company won't insure without pictures of the finished conversion. I immediately titled and registered as an RV immediately but had to go with "commercial for personal use" insurance policy until the conversion is done.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
You may have some challenges insuring it as an RV before the conversion is completed.

Particulars vary by state and insurance company. My insurance company won't insure without pictures of the finished conversion. I immediately titled and registered as an RV immediately but had to go with "commercial for personal use" insurance policy until the conversion is done.
My friend in Alabama had no problem getting motor home insurance through national general before conversion. But they also have no requirements for what is considered a motor home I don't think. Did you get the commercial for personal use policy through progressive?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
My friend in Alabama had no problem getting motor home insurance through national general before conversion. But they also have no requirements for what is considered a motor home I don't think. Did you get the commercial for personal use policy through progressive?
No, I have State Farm. I have insured three buses with them and had very good luck with them.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
It's ludicrous to think the insurance company doesn't have guidelines for what is considered an RV. Some insurance comapnies will write you auseless policy just to make money off you, when you file a claim on your RV/MH and they see it's just an empty shell, you will find yourself with a bunch od personal responsibility. Progressive is no longer writing policies for converted buses.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
No, I have State Farm. I have insured three buses with them and had very good luck with them.
Good to know. Not really a fan of progressive but I've seen a lot of people saying that's who they've gone with.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It's ludicrous to think the insurance company doesn't have guidelines for what is considered an RV. Some insurance comapnies will write you auseless policy just to make money off you, when you file a claim on your RV/MH and they see it's just an empty shell, you will find yourself with a bunch od personal responsibility. Progressive is no longer writing policies for converted buses.
Mine is going to be far from an empty shell once it's completed. I understand most insurance companies not wanting to cover them and the ones that do only wanting to give you liability. They don't want to have to shell out for negligence in the way things are secured, wired, or plumbed. I didn't know if the insurance companies have there own guidelines or if they go off your state's requirements. Ie. South Carolina has a 4 out of 6 requirement.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Mine is going to be far from an empty shell once it's completed. I understand most insurance companies not wanting to cover them and the ones that do only wanting to give you liability. They don't want to have to shell out for negligence in the way things are secured, wired, or plumbed. I didn't know if the insurance companies have there own guidelines or if they go off your state's requirements. Ie. South Carolina has a 4 out of 6 requirement.
Pretty much everyone uses the 4 of 6 criteria when converting to a skoolie. Too many find it easy to lie to the DMV and tell them it's a motorhome or RV when in fact it is still just a bus with no seats. People do this to get the better RV rate than a commercial for personal use policy. The chink comes in when you go to regisyer it and find the insurance companies want pics or an inspection before writing the policy.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Do you remember how much your insurance policy was before you switched to rv? And what all did state farm want to prove the bus was converted after you switched to rv insurance?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #12

Year: 2000
Chassis: G30
Engine: 5.7 L Chevy EFI
Rated Cap: 16
Hey, I am in sc and doing the skoolie thing, what are the 4 out or 6 requirements that SC requires ?
kennderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennderbender View Post
Hey, I am in sc and doing the skoolie thing, what are the 4 out or 6 requirements that SC requires ?
There are 6 requirements, it's your choice which 4.

Slight variations between states,but generally these are the requirements:

Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet with exterior evac
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply
Sleeping accomodations
Old 08-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Do you remember how much your insurance policy was before you switched to rv? And what all did state farm want to prove the bus was converted after you switched to rv insurance?
Most want to convert title to RV to get lower insurance rates. I found the opposite. My Progressive policy was $171 for the whole year. Once converted State Farm wants something like $800/yr. The Progressive policy was an actual MotorHome policy, but they won't renew or I would.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #15
Almost There

Try new Hampshire they titles via mail
No look
Then transfer
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Hey! I have a 1986 Ford b-700! I live in VA and got mine registered as a motor home through Vermont. Once you've done that, your vehicle is a motor home so it should be a lot easier to have SC title it.
DeanyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
IIRC it was $30 a month for liability, comprehensive and collision.

State Farm simply asked me for pictures. They didn't ask for the "4 of 6" requirement. If they wanted that info, it was clear in the pictures that I had all systems in place.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanyOscar View Post
Hey! I have a 1986 Ford b-700! I live in VA and got mine registered as a motor home through Vermont. Once you've done that, your vehicle is a motor home so it should be a lot easier to have SC title it.
Just because your title says MotorHome does not mean it is one, your insurance will be the first to clue you in on that.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #19

I registered my Skoolie in Vermont, No Pre inspection

I got my skoolie (2007, 6 window mini diesel) from a school bus company last year October 2018

Registered it as a Motorhome in Vermont in person in October 2018 for 1 year for $79 or close to that amount

The tricky part was the ladies trying to find out the model...
do not volunteer information to them.

I went with the (tk) means Truck

They registered it to my home address in New York
You are supposed to get it inspected in Vt... but a year later... I did Not

If you type insurance into this Forum...
You will find the Post I followed...

He was also from New York

After the vehicle is changed to Motorhome...
New York can Not say...

It is not a Motorhome...

Good luck on your adventures
Deansanti69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
I bought my bus already registered as a motorhome in California. All insurance wanted was pictures to prove it was a conversation ( of which I totally mocked up). Upon returning home with it to Oregon, I went down to the DMV for registration and, after they inspected it, found that it wasn't eligible to be a motorhome in the state of Oregon as it was now completely gutted. They said that they only require a "permanently mounted stove and bed". I drove it home and gutted this Alaskan camper I had for the stove and matress. I screwed the stove to the wall with one wooden leg for support and threw the matress in the corner and put a duck tape line around it, then I drove it back down to the DMV the same afternoon. They questioned my conversation and I argued "what is the definition of "permanently mounted" anyway? When it came to the bed I argued that a bed is just a mattress sitting on a box spring or just in place..some people.even sleep on cardboard and call it a bed, my setup was just as "permanently mounted" and far superior. They laughed and signed off me RV status. I'm sure living in a small Podunk southern Oregon town probably helped
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, re-title