Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: Titling Differences in CA

Definition of a RV. This is Health and Safety Code not VC.

Quote:
Health and Safety Code
Recreational Vehicle, Manufactured Home, Mobilehome, Commercial Coach, Truck Camper, or Floating Home

18010. "Recreational vehicle" means both of the following:

(a) A motor home, travel trailer, truck camper, or camping trailer, with or without motive power, designed for human habitation for recreational, emergency, or other occupancy, that meets all of the following criteria:

(1) It contains less than 320 square feet of internal living room area, excluding builtin equipment, including, but not limited to, wardrobe, closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms.

(2) It contains 400 square feet or less of gross area measured at maximum horizontal projections.

(3) It is built on a single chassis.

(4) It is either self-propelled, truck-mounted, or permanently towable on the highways without a permit.

(b) A park trailer, as defined in Section 18009.3.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Site Team

Vehicle codes that pertain to Housecars.

Quote:
HOUSECAR

Alcoholic beverages in, 23229
Defined, 362
First-stage manufacturer defined, 11930
Lights, 25100, 25105, 25351
Manufactured in two or more stages, 11713.5
Reflectors on, 24608
Sale of, 11930, 11931
Second-stage manufacturer defined, 11930, 11931
Traffic lane use, 21658
Warranty, 11930, 11931

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #13

Year: 1995

Well, we went to the DMV and I'm sure you all are just waiting to hear how it went.

Basically, bottom line, this whole converted bus thing seems to basically be in a loop hole because no one seems to know and the laws are hard to interpret. The woman who helped us said, because your vehicle is registered as a car with a bus body it only needs class C non-comm. We basically came as close as you can to arguing for our most detrimental answer by showing her that vehicles over 26000 weight rating cannot drive a class c. To that she responded by pointing below to the "housecars under 40' " and looked back at us. At that point I thought how can you argue with the DMV about vehicle registration regulations? Don't they write the laws?

So I still think she may be mistaken, I will be wary of it, but we are going to continue with our departure date. To her it is a 'housecar' that is registered as a car with a bus body.
Thanks to everyone for your help, it is invaluable in understanding the whole spectrum of interpretation of the law. We'll be posting more comment I'm sure as we go.
-Nick
salvatoreparadiso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Now will you stop worrying???!!!

Your DMV clerk just confirmed what CrazyCal and I and maybe others have been telling you. I give you double points for triple checking -- and with the DMV itself, even. Now off you go -- drive safely and enjoy!
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

The Federal CDL law that tells what the states can require exempt RVs (housecars) from the CDL requirement nationwide. Some states will add an endorsement for RVs that are too long (e.g. California over 40 feet), too heavy (e.g. NY Drivers' "R" endorsement over 26,000 lbs.) or perhaps air brakes. If your design gross weight is 30,000 and your paperwork doesn't say housecar, Follow Iceni John's advice and don't do stupid human tricks that attract attention. RVs are not required to pull over at "all commercial vehicles must stop' sites, so don't pull over to be friendly. You have passenger car plates, after all. If you are fully equipped as a housecar and do meet a concerned public servant, explain that the DMV must have given you the wrong forms.

Side note: the guy Crazy Cal saw with the 47-foot trailer may have been legal with a Class C, if the trailer gross weight was 10,000 lbs. or less. 10,001 lbs. trailer weight is the starting point for Class A, not the length. But three axles smells like well over 10,001 lbs. gross capacity.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Side note: the guy Crazy Cal saw with the 47-foot trailer may have been legal with a Class C, if the trailer gross weight was 10,000 lbs. or less. 10,001 lbs. trailer weight is the starting point for Class A, not the length. But three axles smells like well over 10,001 lbs. gross capacity.
I would venture that three 8 lug axles would probably rate at over 10000 #.

You Gotta Let Me Fly