Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Trying to get insured...

Ok, so I'm trying to get my bus insured and everyone is telling me no. Can I just tell them that it is a class A RV? They hear converted school bus and immediately shut me down. How do I get this done?? I have a 32' bluebird tc-2000. It's already converted and has an RV registration.

khelek41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
I am with State Farm and had to insure it as a bus. I have 1 year to show that it is an RV (toilet, bed and seating). At that point it will be insured as an RV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

How much are you paying... If you don't mind me asking. I purchased from a woman who had been living in the bus for 2 years with her husband and 4 kids. It is fully converted with a bathroom, shore power, and plumbing. I'm waiting to hear back from State Farm at the moment. I'm crossing fingers!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
insurance

I got the same run around while trying to get insurance for our Skoolie. Allstate agreed to insure it knowing it was a bus being converted. As long as we didn't make structural modification i.e. put in slides etc. we are covered. I would not recommend misleading any insurance company about what they are actually insuring. I will cause you problems when you can least afford it.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I got pretty much full coverage from Progressive Commercial for about what State Farm is covering my 2008 Mazda 5 for. Please note I'm in Indiana.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I'm in Michigan. After 4 hours of calling, denial, runarounds, etc... Allstate is officially the winner. They were probably the 5th place I called. They are ensuring it with minimum coverage for $36/mo. They know it is a converted school bus and other than dimensions, they didn't ask for any structural info. I did let the rep know in advance that it had a bathroom, shore power, and plumbing and that there was no additional work done like raising the roof or changing the structural body of it. He got all the info like manufacturer, model number, VIN number etc and he said all was good. I asked if it was possible to get denied later on due to it being a conversation and he said no. That it was listed in their system as a bus conversation, which (in his words) "is more common than I thought!" So, I don't think there is going to be an issue. So if you're in Michigan and need to get insured, try Allstate. State Farm will do it too, but unless you have your vehicle and house through them, is really not worth it. (State Farm quoted me $127/mo for absolute minimal coverage.)

Anyways, she's legal to drive now! Hope this info helps others out!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
I am in Indiana and I pay $225 for six months on a commercial policy. Not sure of the rate as an RV I was just told it would be " considerably less".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowserJournal View Post
I would not recommend misleading any insurance company about what they are actually insuring. I will cause you problems when you can least afford it.

AMEN!!

If you fib on your application they can deny coverage if you have a claim.

I make a point to be completely honest when I answer their questions and try to do it by email when I can to provide future documentation of the communications.

I am insured with State Farm. When I completed my first bus they insured it as an RV. The two that I am currently working on are insured as buses for private use. When they are complete we will send pictures and switch to RV insurance. Liability & medical costs around $30/month. Full coverage on my last bus was around $25/month. I do get multi line discounts as I have homeowners, auto & some health coverage with State Farm also.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Farm Bureau is your friend. Good Sam/National were raping me at 156.00 per month. With my 2000 Buick and my bus i pay $73.68 per month. Those are very close numbers.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
The pricing must be different from state to state and based on age/driving record like any other vehicle you ensure I'm in my early 30's and have one speeding ticket on my record. I have mine insured as a commercial for private use, they (progressive) just wanted pictures with the seats out. I pay less than 200 for a full year.... it would have been about 120 as an RV but mines not finished, my new one is barely started lol.

The strange thing is the price was the exact same for both buses. One a 99 37' FE the other a 95 40' RE with higher GVWR.

Just move to Kansas seems easy enough here!
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

AMEN!!

If you fib on your application they can deny coverage if you have a claim.

I make a point to be completely honest when I answer their questions and try to do it by email when I can to provide future documentation of the communications.
The penalties for Material Misrepresentation are not to be taken lightly. Not only could your claim be denied, but you could get cancelled to the original policy effective date, and it could be considered insurance fraud.

In VA, if you have an active registration and no insurance you get a $500 uninsured fine/fee, license suspended, SR-22 filing, and have to pay the reinstatement fee. You're now out around/over $600, your insurance moving forward for 3-5 years will be more expensive because of the SR-22 and you'll be ineligible for a number of companies until the SR-22 is done. Because you didn't want to explain about your bus.

I know it's a pain in the ass having to call all these places and explain, but I would say it's time well spent. Having photos and documents ready to email to the agent you're talking to will help.
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
The penalties for Material Misrepresentation are not to be taken lightly. Not only could your claim be denied, but you could get cancelled to the original policy effective date, and it could be considered insurance fraud.

In VA, if you have an active registration and no insurance you get a $500 uninsured fine/fee, license suspended, SR-22 filing, and have to pay the reinstatement fee. You're now out around/over $600, your insurance moving forward for 3-5 years will be more expensive because of the SR-22 and you'll be ineligible for a number of companies until the SR-22 is done. Because you didn't want to explain about your bus.

I know it's a pain in the ass having to call all these places and explain, but I would say it's time well spent. Having photos and documents ready to email to the agent you're talking to will help.
Not so brutal here in Washington.

Insurance companies do not share information with the DOL regarding insurance coverage. The only time (AFIK) you are ever asked for proof of insurance is at a traffic stop or accident (too late).

If you are pulled over you must produce valid proof of insurance. If you can't then they write you a big ticket and send you on your way.

If you happen to be driving your wife's (insured) car and cannot find her insurance card you get the same ticket and have the opportunity to spend a full day in traffic court in order to show proof of insurance. Then they drop the ticket and charge you a $50 "administrative fee".

IMHO: They are more concerned with generating revenue than having insured drivers.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Not so brutal here in Washington.

Insurance companies do not share information with the DOL regarding insurance coverage. The only time (AFIK) you are ever asked for proof of insurance is at a traffic stop or accident (too late).

If you are pulled over you must produce valid proof of insurance. If you can't then they write you a big ticket and send you on your way.

If you happen to be driving your wife's (insured) car and cannot find her insurance card you get the same ticket and have the opportunity to spend a full day in traffic court in order to show proof of insurance. Then they drop the ticket and charge you a $50 "administrative fee".

IMHO: They are more concerned with generating revenue than having insured drivers.
I've been doing insurance for about 7.5 years now and it seems to me the DMV gets notification of new insurance but largely ignores it and focuses on the notifications of cancellations. About once every few months I get a call from an upset insured because they got a letter from the DMV that they don't have insurance. I calm them down and verify the dates and give them the info they need to send it back it. For VA, if you can prove you had insurance the dates they're looking for you're done.
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
I've been doing insurance for about 7.5 years now and it seems to me the DMV gets notification of new insurance but largely ignores it and focuses on the notifications of cancellations. About once every few months I get a call from an upset insured because they got a letter from the DMV that they don't have insurance. I calm them down and verify the dates and give them the info they need to send it back it. For VA, if you can prove you had insurance the dates they're looking for you're done.
I have spent a good bit of the last 20 years in: WA, OR, CA, NV and AZ. Of those WA is the only one (AFIK) that the insurance companies do NOT report to DMV/DOL.

My Wife worked for State Farm for 30 years and wrote insurance in those states. She confirmed that info except OR. She was not sure.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Its a necessary evil. I called a ton of places before we landed our insurance. I got it without misleading them. I actually had to take it to their office so they could take pictures of it.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Chevy Eldorado
Chassis: Fiberglass Shuttle Bus
Engine: C5500 Kodiak Diesel
Cracked the code of insurance

OMG I've been searching for over 4 months in able to insure my Chevy Eldorado conversion. Because the make and model (and VIN) are not usually insured, it's been a nightmare!

So here's the steps (after all the rejections) that finally led to successfully insuring my 27ft diesel chevy eldorado as a motorhome with roadside assistance, towing, Mexican coverage, PIP, comprehensive, and trailer insurance for $1016.

(Please note, I'm in Florida, the vehicle was purchased in CA and registered as a commercial shuttle)
  1. Called a weird number in FL and ended up speaking with a travel department guy who knew what I wanted to do. He said everything regarding updating VIN number to change a vehicle to an RV was done at the DMV/tax office. There was a document he emailed me to verify a few things that were necessary to be considered an RV (only one had to apply to the vehicle)
    • 110v wiring
    • plumbed bathroom
    • working kitchen with propane fridge
  2. My bus has wiring and solar power currently. I have a composting toilet and a kitchen with an electric fridge, but only the wiring is done right now. everything else is bones.
  3. Collect documents to head to the DMV. this required my change of name, updated drivers license, and the old title
  4. Head to the DMV. Luckily this didn't take long. The woman who helped had never done the paperwork before, but after going in the back and speaking with a coworker, I signed an affidavit confirming that the wiring was in place and the vehicle was indeed a motorhome. Nothing else was required, just about $90 to update everything.
  5. I had looked at insurance EVERYWHERE and no one would insure a commercial vehicle/bus conversion. I think this is different than most Skoolies, since a shuttle is a different model type. Stumbled upon AIS information from when I'd lived in CA (it was, luckily, an old email left in my inbox!) Called AIS - 800-826-3270 - and ONLY GAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
    • I'd like to insure my motorhome
    • The vehicle is a Chevy 'Eldo' (eldo is all it said on the new title, I PLAYED DUMB to AVOID TELLING THEM IT WAS COMMERCIAL)
    • VIN number, which now reflects a Motorhome, and necessary personal information to give me a quote

He called around and called me back with the quote within a day!

This was through AIS which I'm sure is a CA company. They had no problem insuring me living and registered in FL.

The contents are also covered, and the amount to cover (once it's built and full of all my cute shoes and Le Creuset cookware are packed in)can be updated and upgraded.

It took me MONTHS to figure this out. I hope it works for you if you're struggling with a conversion. LEAVE OUT the term 'conversion' or anything like it. PLAY DUMB if you have to, white lies are necessary after so long without insurance on my baby <3
Jessiekij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: CE 300
Engine: International
Call National General Insurance. They insure Skoolie without issue. Great rates too!!!
Romani Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romani Bus View Post
Call National General Insurance. They insure Skoolie without issue. Great rates too!!!
How much are they charging you? I just got a quote from them for $547/year. Only has liability and is all the same to them either converted or unconverted.
Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
That's about what we're paying Nat gen.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy Eldorado
Chassis: Fiberglass Shuttle Bus
Engine: C5500 Kodiak Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romani Bus View Post
SCHOOL buses are different, the VIN of a school bus can be registered as a motorhome a lot easier than a SHUTTLE bus (something about a separate cab that's the same as a uhaul)... that was my issue for so long
... plus the multicoverage was a gigantic happy surprise.

glad NGI is a no hassle place, though. that alone is half the battle
Jessiekij is offline   Reply With Quote