Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Trying to Get Registered & Insured in NY State and Having Trouble

Trying to buy a converted bus (no bathroom or kitchen) and can't find anyone to insure, even national general/good sam. has anyone had any luck with this in recent years? Seems like the rules have gotten stricter more recently. Also worried about registering. I have family in Illinois and CT so could reg there if those are easier. Any ideas? Thanks!

mes1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I got a policy with Allstate. $770.00 a year for full-coverage including towing. My agent just needed to come take a few pics of the bus to prove to Allstate that there were no seats and that it's not a livery vehicle. Took about a week for the coverage to kick in. They will deduct monthly payments from your checking account as well if you don't want to pay in full up front. Good Sam was around $700.00 for just liability and had a ton of restrictions. AIS was around $300.00 a year for liability and they were a pain to deal with. They kept wanting more and more pictures of everything. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for and I'd rather pay a little more for a reputable company that has been around for a while instead of some "specialty" insurance company. My suggestion is to speak with an actual agent vs. doing it over the phone or online.

Registering and titling in Ohio was super easy. Just had to complete an affidavit that I had a table, cooktop, bed, and fridge and I had a new title in about 10 minutes, then to the BMV for registration which took about 20 mins. Was really easy.
fabrini is offline   Reply With Quote