Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 11:29 PM   #91
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 25
Hey guys,
relatively new member here. I was reading this thread and a few others at the same time so i might of missed a post or two. but can someone talk about the process for CA?

Some talked about it briefly but that was also 10 years ago.

Also if someone knows the process of buying a bus from another state and driving to yours. will i need a CDL if i'm not transporting anyone and not using it for commercial purposes?

Pshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #92
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Danville, Illinois
Posts: 22
Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Does anyone know how it works in Illinois? I am trying to get it changed over this week.
karma8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #93
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Danville, Illinois
Posts: 22
Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Originally Posted by joco1972 View Post

(625 ILCS 5/1-145.01) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-145.01)
Sec. 1-145.01. Motor home, mini motor home or van camper. A self-contained motor vehicle, not used commercially, designed or permanently converted to provide living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use, with direct walk through access to the living quarters from the driver's seat. Such vehicles must include at least four of the following:
a) A cooking facility with an on-board fuel source;
b) A gas or electric refrigerator;
c) A toilet with exterior evacuation;
d) A heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine;
e) A potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with an exterior service supply connection;
f) A 110-125 volt electric power supply.
(Source: P.A. 86-971.)
After u had 4 out of 6 ,what did you have to have or show to get the title changed and what insurance company did you find... If you don't mind me asking.
karma8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 AM   #94
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
just to be sure

sorry for my mistake... i m french
i m about to buy a 10 rows school bus from 1997
this bus is 27500 GVWR and i haven t CDL but just a normal licence... if i understand it will not a problem for register it in florida and drive it here ...
because of the fact in florida , weight and length is not a problem even when you don t got a cdl, but what about when i will cross all the other states of USA with my school bus which will register as a Mobil home in the states of florida .. does it could be a problem for me ..and what about if i want go in other country, like Mexico, canada, centrale america and south america countries?

PS: it s a 27500 GVWR school bus with the seats, could i change it to the DMV in 26000 if i show that i take off all the seats?

the answer at this question is above but 10 years old.... is it always the same?
thanks for your help guys
Sebazimut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #95
Bus Crazy
somewhereinusa's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Andrews,Indiana
Posts: 1,458
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
With few exceptions, in the US, if titled as an RV the rules of the state you are titled in are recognized by all states. Make sure you are legal in FL and you should be good. I can't say about other countrys.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #96
Bus Geek
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 4,290
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
reclassification below 26000 GVWR is darn near impossible to do... that is a rating given by the manufacturer for the total weight they expect that chassis to handle Fully loaded (in the case of a bus ,filled up with passengers and cargo).

so to De-rerate you would almost have to alter the frame or springs, axles etc.. just taking out seats just changes the actual scale-weight of the bus but not what it is rated for..

MOST all states you are fine in an RV over 26,000 GVWR and even with air brakes..

if your bus is bought and registered in florida and titled as an RV. (not sure where you got it but sometimes they are already RV titled) then its cut and dry..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #97
Bus Nut
Dapplecreek's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: near Christiansburg VA
Posts: 468
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
... then its cut and dry..
In case that is an unfamiliar expression, it means the situation is well-defined and there would be no questions remaining.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #98
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
thanks a lot for your so fast answer..
Sebazimut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #99
Bus Crazy
Robin97396's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 2,241
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
There have been incidents in Canada when they would not allow a bus across the border without a driver with air brake certification on their license. You may not need air brake certification in your state to drive an RV, but international requirements are more difficult. It's an easy certification to get added to your license, and it would be a good idea to take precautions before traveling internationally.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #100
New Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6
Chassis: Still Looking
Does anybody here happen to know the requirements for Pennsylvania, or how strict they are?
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoolie's and CDL license OhioBusBoi Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 12 10-22-2015 09:32 AM
Awesome link for RV license requirements in Maryland missingTexas Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 0 08-29-2014 08:37 AM
Typical thickness of side insulation bapos Conversion General Discussions 1 06-19-2011 07:54 AM
Driver's License? speciestraitor Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 0 08-25-2010 10:02 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.