Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #141

Year: 2010
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Micro Bird
Engine: 3500 6L V8
Just bought our first Skoolie-Registration Questions

Hello! We are excited to start down this path. We just bought a 2010 BlueBird Micro Bus. I have poured through the forums and I have gathered that it’s easiest to register in either Vermont or Virginia. I’ve seen posts on both states- does anyone have an argument as to why one is better than the other? My more immediate question though is how we can legally drive it across the state where it’ll live at a family member’s house while it’s rehabbed. Do buses have the same rules of having a few days to be on the road with no plates after sale? I can’t find any information on that. We already spray painted over the name (it came from a school) and will be removing the stop sign and disconnecting the lights. Thoughts?

MI_Rookie_Converter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #142
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Rookie_Converter View Post
Hello! We are excited to start down this path. We just bought a 2010 BlueBird Micro Bus. I have poured through the forums and I have gathered that it’s easiest to register in either Vermont or Virginia. I’ve seen posts on both states- does anyone have an argument as to why one is better than the other? My more immediate question though is how we can legally drive it across the state where it’ll live at a family member’s house while it’s rehabbed. Do buses have the same rules of having a few days to be on the road with no plates after sale? I can’t find any information on that. We already spray painted over the name (it came from a school) and will be removing the stop sign and disconnecting the lights. Thoughts?

GENERALLY but every state has its own rules:
You can get a temporary "plate" to move the vehicle or to drive for X number of days. You can use that to get the needed insurance and then you can drive it home........
IF.........
You have the proper license to drive the vehicle in the state for which you are licensed (and assume you are getting the temp from).

REMEMBER......

If you are over a certain weight (around 26,000 pounds) Weight RATING NOT ACTUAL WEIGHT (look on the data tag) many states require a higher license than for a car.
If the vehicle has AIR BRAKES you may need additional license endorsements or even a different class of license.
And the vehicle is still a school bus/commercial vehicle in private service so THAT may trigger additional licensing.

Additional licensing requirements are determined by the state of your license and/or of the plates on the vehicle....again check your states LAW don't just ask.
Some states such as here in Oregon, you need additional licensing unless it is titled/registered as a motorhome or RV. Our BUS (title body type BU) required a higher class of license and an air brake endorsement. Register and titled as body type MH for motorhome in Vermont, we are legal to drive it with a standard drivers license.

Go to YOUR DMV website and find the page where the privileges for each class of license are spelled out. I'd print a copy of that page to keep with you.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote