Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #61

Year: 2001
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: 21' shuttle bus
Engine: E450
Rated Cap: 16
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

regarding the Florida bus to rv conversion.... I did fill out the affidavit and take it to be registered as a converted mobile home. It's at that point that they directed me to have it inspected so they can give me an assembled from parts title. I want to know if someone has actually been through this process in Florida and has received a mobile home title or an assembled from parts title.

kjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones
regarding the Florida bus to rv conversion.... I did fill out the affidavit and take it to be registered as a converted mobile home. It's at that point that they directed me to have it inspected so they can give me an assembled from parts title. I want to know if someone has actually been through this process in Florida and has received a mobile home title or an assembled from parts title.
That’s ridiculous. I’m going to drive over to the Marion County office today and see if they can give me a different answer.

Did you talk to someone else at the DMV?
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #63
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
"Humpback goat" avatar what does it mean?

Great bump for info

(edited because my "secretary while I was cooking dinner" didn't exactly input the data required

Sorry PD if you read it before edit
I did read it before the edit and was confused. LOL

Actually, the “Camel & Goat” logo is something I came up with to represent my finished RV conversion. The goat represents my Jeep (found on almost every continent, climbs anything, rugged to a fault) and the camel is my bus conversion (200 gallons of fresh water on board means I can go long periods without stopping for water). Since I’m building-in the ability for the bus to carry the Jeep, the goat rides on the back of the camel in the logo. In this spirit, I also have a goat skull lashed to the roof rack of my Jeep and intend to get a camel skull for the RV when it’s done. (Both are available from http://www.skullsunlimited.com.)
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #64
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78

that logo is cool, the way it represents your build, crave to see some pics.
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #65

I spoke with two different people at the Palmetto DMV location. They were very adamant that issuing an assembled from parts title is what happens next, and the bus would still keep the same requirement for a CDL driver with passenger endorsement. If I can't get it titled and registered as a MH, it'll be easier to just get the CDL. I didnt want to be that restricted on who can drive it. I sometimes swap vehicles with friends. If you have connections in Marion County, i'd love to hear if they have better news. Maybe my tax office was wrong in sending me for the inspection, but they called the DMV to find out what to do with it.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol
that logo is cool, the way it represents your build, crave to see some pics.
Lots of pictures in my build thread. Link is in my signature.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #67
Bus Nut

kjones, I stopped by my local tax collector (tag and titles) and the DMV office and what I got was confusion from both sides. They each seem to defer to the other. The tax collector said they only title the vehicle based on what the DMV tells them, and the DMV said they inspect the vehicle and then the tax collector determines which title is issued. Ugh.

Maybe this will help. Link to Florida Dept of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Procedure TL-13: Certificate of Title Requirements for Recreational Vehicles, Mobile Homes, and Office Trailers (PDF). They printed it for me, but I haven’t yet read through the whole thing (about 10 pages). It may be able to spell out exactly what you need for a Motorhome title.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #68

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #69
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

For us NJ'ers, here's the updated procedures for New Jersey copied right out of the email I got from NJ MVC:

Bus – Motor Home (RV)
Foreign – Bus – Motor Home Page 1 of 3
Foreign Title Unit (R11/09)
General Information
1) Change vehicle type on Comp System : This Procedure will be followed when the MVC-Foreign Title Unit is notified that a bus was converted to a Recreational Vehicle (RV). The regulations concerning Certificate of ownership for used motor vehicles converted into motor homes is 13:21-20.5. This transaction can be handled through the mail or in-person at the MVC central office in Trenton. If approved, this transaction will be handled in 2 steps:
2) Issue a Replacement title on the Agency V3 System
* Motor Home Vehicle Type = 05 Required Modifications
? Remove most seats from the bus : In order for the bus to be converted to an RV, the customer must make the following modifications to the vehicle:
? Remove emergency lights including the side mounted stop sign
? Repaint the exterior of the vehicle (Cannot remain any shade of yellow)
? Install a permanent bed or sleep sofa
? Install a permanent sink or bar sink (Must be in working order)
? Install a permanent stove or microwave
Bus – Motor Home (RV)
Foreign – Bus – Motor Home Page 2 of 3
Foreign Title Unit (R11/09)
Requirements
• :
Original NJ Title
o If the customer wishes to re-sell the vehicle, they must do so after the conversion, as a separate transaction. must be already in customer’s name as a Bus.
• Color photographs
o Exterior photos must completely/clearly show all 4 sides of the vehicle. of the interior and exterior after the conversion.
o Interior photos must completely/ show the bed, stove/microwave and sink.
• Pencil tracing or photograph clearly showing the complete VIN plate
• $60.00 check or money order payable to: NJMVC.
o If cash is received through the mail, immediately notify a supervisor.
No Cash (mail/ dealers)
o $85.00 is required if title is issued with a lien.
• Certified weight slip for the converted motor vehicle.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #70
Almost There

Year: 1997
Chassis: International Amtram Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 87

RV Title in Maryland was pretty simple. You have to sign an affidavit stating that the vehicle has 4 out of the following:
A place to sleep, A way to prepare food, a functioning toilet, Air conditioning and/or heating, Running water supply, An icebox or refrigerator. The definition of an icebox is a place to store food that has a separate area to hold ice for the purpose of keeping food cold.

They will ask if it has been painted a color different than yellow, if the warning lights have been disabled and how many seats you left in.

They did not ask for pictures, I did have receipts with me to show but they didn't seem too interested.

I went to the DMV closest to the state where I purchased the bus which meant going to a more rural office.. not sure if that helped.

In my mind, an icebox = ice chest, running water = a water jug with a spout, a place to sleep = sleeping bag and a toilet = a bucket.

There is no law that says that you can't remodel your original conversion.. so all that got ripped or taken out when I got it home.
My Facebook Blog: https://www.facebook.com/sliceoflifeRv
missingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
kjones, I stopped by my local tax collector (tag and titles) and the DMV office and what I got was confusion from both sides. They each seem to defer to the other. The tax collector said they only title the vehicle based on what the DMV tells them, and the DMV said they inspect the vehicle and then the tax collector determines which title is issued. Ugh.

Maybe this will help. Link to Florida Dept of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Procedure TL-13: Certificate of Title Requirements for Recreational Vehicles, Mobile Homes, and Office Trailers (PDF). They printed it for me, but I haven’t yet read through the whole thing (about 10 pages). It may be able to spell out exactly what you need for a Motorhome title.
Hey guys! N00b here, so please be gentle.... ;)
I too live in FL (Ft. Lauderdale area) and growing very much interested into converting a bus!
i've found some good pricing in the Hollywood area, even though buying right now will have to pass "the true pants wearer of the house" approval :P
As i've started researching, I came to similar questions concerning title, tags, you know, all that boring legal stuff blah!
Reading the PDF (thank you BTW, Breske) i see in sec II.F "conversion affidavit" for an individual...that part seems pretty clear to me. Demonstrate you have:
1. 120V power apart from engine
2. a stove of some sort
3. plumbing
I assume at that point our marveouls FL state employees will then inspect the hopefully soon-to-be RV, and off you go with a clean bill of healh (title).
Does that sound like a correct interpretation of the document?
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #72

You DON'T need insurance of any kind to drive in CA or TX or any other state as far as I know. The requirement is for PROOF of FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, which can be satisfied in other ways.
Jimbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbino View Post
You DON'T need insurance of any kind to drive in CA or TX or any other state as far as I know. The requirement is for PROOF of FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, which can be satisfied in other ways.
Try telling that to a Ga trooper... Just try it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Try telling that to a Ga trooper... Just try it.
The "full faith and credit" clause of the US Constitution provides that any state, including Georgia, recognize and respect the laws of other states. Georgia has no right to ignore the laws of TX with regard to valid vehicle registration or financial responsibility (just like marriage laws: once married in TX, you're married in GA and likewise for divorce).
Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #75

TX rule on Financial Responsibility:
http://www.dmv.org/insurance/proof-o...onsibility.php
Old 02-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #76
Bus Nut

While it is true that you don't have to have "insurance" ins some states...10 according to my quick research. The alternatives are far less attractive. For instance:

From http://law.freeadvice.com/insurance_...bility_law.htm

A financial responsibility law requires you to prove you have enough money saved to pay for damages resulting from a car accident. States with this type of law may not require that you have insurance or other proof of financial responsibility at the time of vehicle registration. However, failure to demonstrate the required level of financial responsibility at the time of an accident or traffic violation can result in suspension of your driver's license or revocation of your vehicle registration. All parties involved in an accident must show the necessary proof or face the penalties imposed by the law for your state. Maintaining an automobile insurance policy is the most common way to comply with a financial responsibility law.

Satisfying the Financial Responsibility Laws

Although most states require drivers to purchase car insurance, those that do not require you satisfy their state's financial responsibility laws by other means. In some states, drivers can comply with the law by surety bond or real estate bond while other states required a certain amount of assets set aside to cover a car accident. Some larger companies or corporation can also show proof that they can satisfy the financial responsibility law by self insuring instead of buying commercial car insurance for their company vehicles. Those states allowing proof of insurance as a form of compliance to their financial responsibility laws are normally satisfied with an insurance card issued by your insurance company at the time vehicle registration.

Although there may be several ways to comply, the best way to comply with any states' financial responsibility law is by purchasing car insurance. Car insurance not only provides financial protection for you when you are in an accident, but also gives help with covering court costs related your accident and covering the cost of an attorney.

And:

http://www.carinsurancetexas.com/blo...nsibility.aspx
Texas Law

Texas is one of 10 states that currently follows a combination of No Fault and Tort Law systems when it comes to car accidents. That means, if you are driving a car that is involved in an accident and it is your fault, you are financially responsible and must pay for the costs of medical care for injured passengers as well as any property damage. If you cannot prove you have the means to pay for damages, you will be in violation of Texas law and will be fined. The first time, the fine can be between $175 and $350. A second offense can result in suspension of your driving license, $1,000 fine or both.

Liability Insurance

The easiest way to prove financial responsibility is to purchase a Texas car insurance policy. Liability insurance- which typically includes Bodily Injury and Property Damage coverage protects you financially in the event someone or something is damaged as a result of your driving. Texas requires drivers with insurance to meet minimum liability requirements. Currently, you must carry a minimum of $30,000 in Bodily Injury Liability for a total of $60,000 per accident and $25,000 Property Damage Liability coverage. This requirement is typically referred to as 30/60/25 coverage.

Remember, liability coverage does not protect you for damage or injuries, only those in the other vehicle. If you wish to protect yourself and your passengers, you must purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or seek coverage from a health insurance policy. In addition, minimum coverage offers only minimal protection and does not provide optimal coverage. To avoid out-of-pocket expenses, you may need to purchase more coverage.

Other Methods of Proving Financial Responsibility

By Texas law, you do not have to purchase a car insurance policy to drive as long as you can provide another acceptable form of financial responsibility. A cash deposit or a cashier's check with a county judge verifying you have deposited at least $55,000 is accepted as proof of financial responsibility. As is a surety bond or a copy of a self-insurance certificate issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

It’s also acceptable to drive in Texas with a car insurance policy issued from another state. As long as the insurance comes from a valid, agent or company with legal authority to write liability insurance in the state and meets minimum coverage requirements, it’s fine.

Your call I guess, but I know insurance seems like the better route to me.
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbino View Post
The "full faith and credit" clause of the US Constitution provides that any state, including Georgia, recognize and respect the laws of other states. Georgia has no right to ignore the laws of TX with regard to valid vehicle registration or financial responsibility (just like marriage laws: once married in TX, you're married in GA and likewise for divorce).
I'm not attempting any such thing. I'm smiling, and handing him or her my license, registration, and proof of insurance. The last thing I want is a roadside constitutional debate with a trooper in the southeast. Or anywhere else for that matter.
I'd imagine you'd also be recording this police interaction for a youtube vid later?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA HERE.

Remember folks....This post was started in 2004 ......10 years ago and I don't know if anyone has anything to add but I would take it all with a "grain of salt", gather what paperwork you have and take a trip to your local DMV and ask a few questions. That's what we did just a few years ago.

We explained that we just needed info on what we need and got the usual "I don't know, will pass this on to my Supervisor".

Long story short, had to go back about a month later (no call ever came from Super) and told story of last visit. Clerk went to Supervisor (most likely to inquire about our last visit)

...and walked out with Tags and paperwork showing "Motorhome".

All I can say is......Good luck and may the "Universe be on your side when the time comes".

Booger
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #79
Almost There

@Booger, On the 23rd it will be 11 years ago. It's still hard for me to believe that 2004 was over ten years ago.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #80
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
I'm in Cleveland Georgia, just north of Gainesville and I was told today that in Georgia they wouldn't change what was on the title from a bus to an RV. If you have any paperwork they gave you in Gainesville, please share. They are willing to work with me if I find the law that allows them. Basically they want me to do their job, and they will sign it off.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote