Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #41
shaun's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Year: 1965
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: 292 Chevy
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

Here in Nevada they have a registration called ASVE, this stands for Assembled Vehicle. This is what they previously had my bus registed as. They issued a new Nevada VIN number.

I have what I beleive is a '65-67 Chevy C60 Manufactured by WAYNE Co. Im unsure of the year. I paid $800 then the engine blew. I replaced the 292 inline six with the same engine from Autozone. Now she runs well and I just replaced the master cylinder so I hope stops accordingly. Anyway......

I am new here I just found the site and I finally feel like I have found a place to learn from.
The previous owner somehow had this bus registered and insured as a 1979 motorhome, which is senseless because in this state a vehicle older than 1967 needs no smog or seatbelts. So now I think I may have to take the bus down to the dmv for an inspection, or can I just register it with the VIN inside the engine compartment?
The bus was converted with all brown 70's style fo leather interior, I have since painted an attempted to update what is already there and usefull. I feel I made an ok bargain since all conversion had been made.

Although I have alot of rust under the wheelwells, if anyone knows anything about repairing this let me know. I fear to take her to wet climate.

I will upload pics soon expecting some constructive criticism.

Also info on exterior paint would be helpful.
shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #42
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 36
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

I think the confusion in Texas stems from the difference between a class B license and a class B CDL. From what I have read (not an expert, but I pulled this off of the DPS site), you do need a Class B license if the GVWR is over 26,000, but not a class B CDL.
Follow our journey at
retrogeek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #43
NewSkewlHauler's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Goodland, KS
Posts: 233
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

Anyone have any info for the State of Kanasas?

NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #44
NewSkewlHauler's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Goodland, KS
Posts: 233
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

I called the Kansas State Patrol yesterday to find out about what needs to be done in Kansas. The very helpful Trooper told me that if the bus is out of state it will have to have a VIN inspection. All they do is verify that the title VIN matches the VIN in several places in the bus. Next it MUST be yellow whatsoever. He said that even with those things done, it would still be a bus and you would need a CDL (with airbrakes if so equipped) unless it was "obvious" that it was a motorhome or RV. He sort of failed to elaborate much on what "obvious" meant from the outside. He did say that if someone were stopped and the Trooper looked inside, he should see the typical RV things (seating, kitchen, etc). He didn't say how many of those things had to be there and working, however. I hope that helps someone!
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #45
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 158
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

Figured I'd throw NJ's requirements in here.

I called a while back, and they require:

-the removal of the stop sign and top warning lights
-bus painted a different color than yellow
-all lights and stickers off
-stove or microwave in bus
-sleeping area
-pictures of all of those and pictures of all 4 sides of the bus

This will allow you to change the title to a RV from whatever it was.
Rutgers tailgating bus
RUskoolietailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #46
Bus Nut
PDBreske's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 594
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Florida RV License Requirements

I'm currently researching this process in Florida, so I figured I'd add what I've found to help any other Floridians.

Driver licensing requirements (from the FL DMV website)
NonCommercial Driver Licenses

CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters. (see below). Farmers and drivers of authorized emergency vehicles who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license must obtain a Class E license.
CDL Exemptions

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

*Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
Military personnel driving military vehicles; or
Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or
Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or
*Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
An employee of a publicly owned transit system who is limited to moving vehicles for maintenance or parking purposes exclusively within the restricted-access confines of a transit system's property.
I highlighted in red the parts that may be pertinent to your situation if you are driving a vehicle that exceeds the 26,000 pound GVW rating. You would normally be required to have a CDL for these heavy trucks, but if it's a RV or a "straight truck" (such as a Ryder rental truck that you might drive to move your personal belongings from an old address to a new home), you are not required to have a CDL. I had a question about this as the bus I was considering when I walked into the Tag Agency has a GVWR of 29,800 pounds. Since it won't be considered an RV until after the conversion, I thought I might have to have a CDL just to drive the empty bus home from the auction, but my interpretation of the last exception is that I would be able to drive any vehicle that exceeds the weight rating as long as I'm not using it for hire (to transport goods for sale, for example) and it doesn't articulate (bend) between the axles. Is that what everyone else gleans from that last exception?

As far as the RV conversion paperwork, all that's required is an affidavit in the following format (sorry, no link on this one. I don't know if the DMV web site has this part publicly available, but the good people at the Ocala office were able to print me a copy of the requirements, quoted here):
F. Conversion Affidavit:

In the case of an individual converting their own vehicle and requesting to have the identity changed on the title in order to have it registered and licensed as a recreational vehicle, the customer must submit an affidavit to the tax collector. The affidavit must certify that the unit has been converted to the extent to include one of the aforementioned items to qualify it as a recreational vehicle.


This is to certify that I, ______________, owner of a (Year) __________, (Make)_______, (VIN) ___________________, hereby request the vehicle be classified as recreational vehicle for the following reason:

( ) Installed 110 volt electrical wiring
( ) Installed LP gas piping
( ) Installed plumbing system
You have to check at least one of the three requirements, but that's all. No pictures or inspection is necessary. Just supply the affidavit to the title agency and they will issue a new title with the RV classification.
Read about the "Camel" RV Conversion project!

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #47
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Year: 2003
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 17
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

Does anyone know how New York works?
I bought a 17 passenger E450 2003 at an auction and am having a heck of a time just getting insurance on it. Geico won't touch it, and they have 4 of my cars, home owners, and my boat policies.

I am going to take the seats out and use it to move out of state with for now, so even just titling and insuring as a van would be fine for now but no one I call seems to have a clue, nor does the dmv. Some of the research I have done even says to try to register it as a house on wheels!

I did learn through this process to NEVER mention 2 words though. BUS and CONVERSION.
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #48
Hex's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 190
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

I'm in New York, and got GMAC to insure it (liability-stuff only).

I also got lots of good advice on registering it initially as a 'House on Wheels' by having all seats but the driver's taken out. So long as it's under 18,000 #, The HoW becomes essentially, a personal vehicle, so that's the 'quick and dirty' route that I'd take.

Also, I used the DMV's 800 # and talked with a guy who not only got me the HoW designation, but also told me -exactly- how to fill out the forms so that they're retitle it.

I wish you luck!
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #49
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Year: 2003
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 17
Re: Typical RV License Requirements

Do you have their 800 number?
I looked all day and only found their 518 are code automated numbers.

I spent the day going over it, pulled the seats out, got the lift working, I am excited to get this thing registered and on the road!

I am even planning on doing a self contained on board WVO setup. It makes perfect sense with this, has coolant lines already ran to the back, lots of under body room, and diesel here is 4.40 a gallon.

BUT I have to get NY to let me drive the darn thing first!
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #50
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willard, OH & Charlotte, NC
Posts: 19
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 - Flat nose
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Typical RV License Requirements


First of all, the title I got from the seller had a "BU" for bus body style; it did not list the mileage. The new title I got in the mail from the DMV also says BU without the mileage. Yay!

To get the insurance, I called a "cool" State Farm guy. After a dead end with Safeco due to me weighing more than 12k lbs. who does all of my regular cars and another dead end with State Farm who does both my houses because they couldn't find my make or model in the computer, I was told to call him because "he can do anything". Apparently he deals with with AAA and Progressive too because the policy that came in the mail said Progressive doing business as AAA of the Carolinas. Maybe he was a broker or something? Anyway, $600 for 12 months got me "full coverage" for a $6000 school bus and everything inside it like tv, stereo, fridge, etc. I asked him if I needed to drive it to his office or send him pictures of the inside and outside but he said no don't worry about it. Deductibles were 250/500. Cracked windshields and vandalism/theft was the 500. I think accidents was the 250. Chances are, your normal car insurance company will have trouble finding the make and model of the body in their computer so you may need to call a couple different insurance places. Shop around and get the cheapest quote!

Later that day, I walked into the DMV with a notarized title and proof of insurance (no bill of sale is required like in South Carolina but in South Carolina you don't need to notarize a title either). But they will ask you how much you paid for your bus for the initial property tax value fee (low ball them obviously ) Shouldn't be too much more expensive next year unless they do a Blue Book or NADA evaluation like they do with most people's regular cars and trucks. The lady at the DMV (Mecklenburg county) gave me a 10 day permit that allowed me to drive it to get inspected. I drove it to a place and their rule was that it had to be 12' or lower because if it doesn't fit in the shop, they aren't allowed to inspect it. I was 10'6" (didn't have the AC mounted yet last month) Since it's a diesel, there was no smog/emissions/gas cap pressure check. If it were a 1996 or newer gasoline engine, there would have been an OBDII and smog inspection. They did not crawl under the body or even go inside the cabin. (good thing too because my seatbelt was unbolted due to painting/carpet) They just asked me what company made the chassis (Freightliner, International, Thomas, etc), how much it weighed, how many miles and honked the horn and looked at the lights. The only thing that failed were the old winshield wipers. I only paid $16 out the door and that even included the 2 new wiper blades. Pro Tip: Call around until you find a place that does RV or Semi Truck inspections

With the newly obtained passed inspection printout, I was then allowed to go back to the DMV and get it registered and a license plate. Luckily no questions came up about weight or axles or CDL license I paid $30 extra for the license plate PARTYBUS. I got the title notarized, the inspection done and registration/license plate all in the same day. I started out at 8am and got done around 4pm. Not becaue the DMV line was so long; trust me, I go to a little one way out in the country now! It was because I had to drive like 40 minutes to my "cool" notary because I couldn't get a hold of the seller anymore. But I had the seller sign the title a few months back when I bought it so it wasn't too much of a rule bender favor. I need to quit that stupid habit I know. My brother is even worse. He "skips the title" completely. Buy an old car, have the seller sign the title, fix it up and have your "cool" notary stamp it when you get a buyer. No taxes! The inspection place was also another 45 minutes in the OPPOSITE direction.

All 52 of my side windows were limo tinted 100% including the 2 driver's sliding windows and the 6 foot doors. I did not tint the windshield. They did not check the windows, however now that I think of it, they were all down that day because it was 97 degreees and my AC wasn't installed yet so maybe they just overlooked them? My engine cover was also removed (getting re-painted and a new diamond plate insert) so that made it even hotter and I damn near burnt my right leg hair off every 5 minutes that thermostat and radiator fan kicked in! One cool thing I noticed is that it never goes past 170 degrees it's always 150-160. I'm sure this has something to do with being diesel, having a huge radiator and a several gallons of coolant flowing 25 feet back to the underseat heater core.

The ENTIRE inside of my bus was gutted that day. I did not have a stove, toilet, sink, bed or anything. Just 8' x 30' of plywood floor. Not sure how strict the rules are for a "RV Camper Conversion" but when the inspectors asked me what I was using it for I said camping and partying. They said that's cool and they wish that they had one to take to the races that coming Sunday. Perhaps I got lucky. Your mileage may vary.

I was told that I needed an MC# to take passengers across state lines if I charge them money. I am not sure if this means they can drink alcohol too or not. But the funny thing is, the North Carolina laws state YES you CAN consume alcohol in the living quarters. The big question I have is do you need a particular registration, business license and business insurance if those 30 people getting wild on your bus are not your friends or family, but in fact, paying customers. I'm still researching that...
logistix is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoolie's and CDL license OhioBusBoi Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 12 10-22-2015 09:32 AM
Awesome link for RV license requirements in Maryland missingTexas Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 0 08-29-2014 08:37 AM
Typical thickness of side insulation bapos Conversion General Discussions 1 06-19-2011 07:54 AM
Driver's License? speciestraitor Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 0 08-25-2010 10:02 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.