Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Outcast, As I said previously, we just went in and inquired and evidently lucked out. From what I have heard is you have to have made enough changes to be able to call it an RV. I sent an email to Ghostrider in Ellijay as to what he did to get the tag changed. Maybe he has more to offer you.

All we had for paperwork was the bill of sale, the old title and the old tags. As I said before we had to go back twice cause the first time the clerk didn't have the answer and was going to forward all our paperwork to her Super who was supposee to call us but never did. When we went back, we got the same clerk who remembered us and went to her Super......who probably told her to just process us (maybe just to get rid of us cause she f----ed up and didn't do her job....don't know)

Good luck!!!! Will check with Hubby in the AM to see if he can add more to this for you.

Sharlene

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #82

Year: 1991
Anyone know the requirements in NC? Which insurance companies will insure a skoolie?
JuliaHoopLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #83

Illinois motor home code (definition)...

ILLINOIS...

(625 ILCS 5/1-145.01) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-145.01)
Sec. 1-145.01. Motor home, mini motor home or van camper. A self-contained motor vehicle, not used commercially, designed or permanently converted to provide living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use, with direct walk through access to the living quarters from the driver's seat. Such vehicles must include at least four of the following:
a) A cooking facility with an on-board fuel source;
b) A gas or electric refrigerator;
c) A toilet with exterior evacuation;
d) A heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine;
e) A potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with an exterior service supply connection;
f) A 110-125 volt electric power supply.
(Source: P.A. 86-971.)
joco1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #84

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern1 View Post
Greetings,

Basically the same for Texas, but a couple of added requirements:

It must have seating for less than 15.

If you have more than 15, it is still a private bus and not a motorhome and you need a minimum chaufeurs license or CDL.

They rent 15 passenger vans to take places, and I wondered why they only allowed that many, now I know.

You must have a certified weight certificate and pictures of your conversion when you apply for a motorhome title change.

Oh yeah, you must have liability insurance!!!
So today I went to register my Bus as a Motorhome in League City, Tx. They told me that they would title it as a "passenger vehicle over 6000 lbs. basically it's a car and anyone can drive it with a class c license. It had to have a Texas MVP inspection and I had to weigh it, but that's it! It still has all of the seats in it! I'm thinking they might have it wrong, but they are the experts.
Bacliff Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #85
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Oh is perminantly affixed bed, perminant cold food storage (cooler or fridge) perminant eating area ( table) and a cooking device, stove or oven
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #86
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacliff Jimmy View Post
It had to have a Texas MVP inspection and I had to weigh it, but that's it! It still has all of the seats in it! I'm thinking they might have it wrong, but they are the experts.
I am guessing that your rig doesn't meet the requirements for being a Motorhome yet. I am pretty sure THEY have it right.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
I am guessing that your rig doesn't meet the requirements for being a Motorhome yet. I am pretty sure THEY have it right.
But they said that they were not calling Busses Motorhomes anymore. It really doesn't make any difference if it is considered a passenger vehicle and I can get insurance. They assured me that I wouldn't need a CDL. They didn't even want to look at it. Maybe my Insurance will be cheaper now that it is considered a private passenger vehicle. We shall see...
Old 10-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #88
Bus Nut

Busses are busses & motorhomes are motorhomes, you must complete the conversion for a bus to be a motorhome. Pre-converted busses are not motorhomes in any state. Take the seats out first at least.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
Busses are busses & motorhomes are motorhomes, you must complete the conversion for a bus to be a motorhome. Pre-converted busses are not motorhomes in any state. Take the seats out first at least.
Nope, it's all finished. It is registered the same as a Motorhome. I asked three people in the DMV and they assured me that my bus is titled the same way they issue titles for Motorhomes. Don't know where you are, but Texas didn't make a big deal out of it.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #90
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
for Western NC owners in search of an insurer:

Appalachian Insurance on Haywood Road, Asheville. If you vehicle is still titled as a bus, you will need a business policy.
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:29 PM   #91
Mini-Skoolie

Hey guys,
relatively new member here. I was reading this thread and a few others at the same time so i might of missed a post or two. but can someone talk about the process for CA?

Some talked about it briefly but that was also 10 years ago.

Also if someone knows the process of buying a bus from another state and driving to yours. will i need a CDL if i'm not transporting anyone and not using it for commercial purposes?

Thanks
Pshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #92
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Does anyone know how it works in Illinois? I am trying to get it changed over this week.
karma8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #93
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Quote:
Originally Posted by joco1972 View Post
ILLINOIS...

(625 ILCS 5/1-145.01) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-145.01)
Sec. 1-145.01. Motor home, mini motor home or van camper. A self-contained motor vehicle, not used commercially, designed or permanently converted to provide living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use, with direct walk through access to the living quarters from the driver's seat. Such vehicles must include at least four of the following:
a) A cooking facility with an on-board fuel source;
b) A gas or electric refrigerator;
c) A toilet with exterior evacuation;
d) A heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine;
e) A potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with an exterior service supply connection;
f) A 110-125 volt electric power supply.
(Source: P.A. 86-971.)
After u had 4 out of 6 ,what did you have to have or show to get the title changed and what insurance company did you find... If you don't mind me asking.
karma8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 AM   #94
Mini-Skoolie

just to be sure

sorry for my mistake... i m french
i m about to buy a 10 rows school bus from 1997
this bus is 27500 GVWR and i haven t CDL but just a normal licence... if i understand it will not a problem for register it in florida and drive it here ...
because of the fact in florida , weight and length is not a problem even when you don t got a cdl, but what about when i will cross all the other states of USA with my school bus which will register as a Mobil home in the states of florida .. does it could be a problem for me ..and what about if i want go in other country, like Mexico, canada, centrale america and south america countries?

PS: it s a 27500 GVWR school bus with the seats, could i change it to the DMV in 26000 if i show that i take off all the seats?

the answer at this question is above but 10 years old.... is it always the same?
thanks for your help guys
Sebazimut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #95
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
With few exceptions, in the US, if titled as an RV the rules of the state you are titled in are recognized by all states. Make sure you are legal in FL and you should be good. I can't say about other countrys.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #96
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
reclassification below 26000 GVWR is darn near impossible to do... that is a rating given by the manufacturer for the total weight they expect that chassis to handle Fully loaded (in the case of a bus ,filled up with passengers and cargo).

so to De-rerate you would almost have to alter the frame or springs, axles etc.. just taking out seats just changes the actual scale-weight of the bus but not what it is rated for..

MOST all states you are fine in an RV over 26,000 GVWR and even with air brakes..

if your bus is bought and registered in florida and titled as an RV. (not sure where you got it but sometimes they are already RV titled) then its cut and dry..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #97
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
... then its cut and dry..
In case that is an unfamiliar expression, it means the situation is well-defined and there would be no questions remaining.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #98
Mini-Skoolie

thanks a lot for your so fast answer..
Sebazimut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #99
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There have been incidents in Canada when they would not allow a bus across the border without a driver with air brake certification on their license. You may not need air brake certification in your state to drive an RV, but international requirements are more difficult. It's an easy certification to get added to your license, and it would be a good idea to take precautions before traveling internationally.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #100
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
Does anybody here happen to know the requirements for Pennsylvania, or how strict they are?
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote