Old 04-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Unclear with FL Medical Card, License, Insurance(question)

Hey everyone,
I am so unclear on this here in Florida, has anyone dealt with this in FL that could shed some light on this. DMV sure don't seem to know.

Regarding DOT Medical Card for CDL class B in FLORIDA.
I will share the link below, I suppose to identify with a,b,c,or d.
I have my CDL/B w/ air break from 7 yrs driving a school bus. However I do not use it for job purposes or anything any longer. I have held on to it with the intentions of like many on here, buy a school bus and going skoolie, although I am not sure if it makes a difference but I am NOT converting it to an RV style, I AM going to rip the seats out. So i know I will need a CDL B w/air breaks to drive it as a personal vehicle. But can anyone tell me if owning a personal school bus like this, requires a CDL Medical card? I am not driving out of state so I will be Intrastate, I believe its called. I have never had to have a medical card when renewing my license here the 7 years I've been in FL. Until I worked for CEMEX a few months but they said b/c of that ready mix truck DOT says I had to have and they paid for it. Now that I don't have that job, do I need to renew it? I am getting mixed answers from DMV. I thought this would be a good question for Skoolies? THANK YOU for your thoughts.
Here's the link they sent me to.
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
mdbutler79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You should talk with EastCoastCB about this. There are a lot of people in FL with buses.

To my understanding you do not need the B license to drive a bus for your own personal purposes. If you are actually hauling people for pay you will need the B license and probably the medical too. If you intend to enter Canada you will be required to have an air brake endorsement, or be denied entry.

There are several thread discussions on this subject at this time, so yours is the third. This is also a common discussion on this site since there are always new people getting busses and coming here for information while living in any state. Some states are more difficult than others for licensing and insurance. If you read those other threads you'll get a lot of peripheral information at the same time.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I just register mine for private use, insure them for private use, and have regular, non-apportioned, non commercial tags.
No dot #'s or medcard or cdl needed unless your making money/for hire.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 7.3L 210HP Turbo Diesel T444E
Rated Cap: 28 + 3 wheel chairs.
I am pretty sure that a CDL is not required unless you have seats to carry more than 15 passengers. But don't quote me on that.
As for the CDL - I kept mine for the same reason - if you do not get the medical certification - you will lose your CDL. That I am pretty sure of - because my medical card lapsed - and I got a letter saying my license was suspended and I needed to reapply for a standard driver's license.
Fortunately, I was able to get that worked out and still have the CDL - and get a check up once a year at the CVS walk in clinic

I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbutler79 View Post
Hey everyone,
I am so unclear on this here in Florida, has anyone dealt with this in FL that could shed some light on this. DMV sure don't seem to know.

Regarding DOT Medical Card for CDL class B in FLORIDA.
I will share the link below, I suppose to identify with a,b,c,or d.
I have my CDL/B w/ air break from 7 yrs driving a school bus. However I do not use it for job purposes or anything any longer. I have held on to it with the intentions of like many on here, buy a school bus and going skoolie, although I am not sure if it makes a difference but I am NOT converting it to an RV style, I AM going to rip the seats out. So i know I will need a CDL B w/air breaks to drive it as a personal vehicle. But can anyone tell me if owning a personal school bus like this, requires a CDL Medical card? I am not driving out of state so I will be Intrastate, I believe its called. I have never had to have a medical card when renewing my license here the 7 years I've been in FL. Until I worked for CEMEX a few months but they said b/c of that ready mix truck DOT says I had to have and they paid for it. Now that I don't have that job, do I need to renew it? I am getting mixed answers from DMV. I thought this would be a good question for Skoolies? THANK YOU for your thoughts.
Here's the link they sent me to.
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
The others are right that as a personal vehicle, despite its size and air brakes, you probably don't require a CDL (check with your driver license office, or get comfortable searching the state's legal code).

However, since you do have a CDL, read on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
As for the CDL - I kept mine for the same reason - if you do not get the medical certification - you will lose your CDL. That I am pretty sure of - because my medical card lapsed - and I got a letter saying my license was suspended and I needed to reapply for a standard driver's license.
Fortunately, I was able to get that worked out and still have the CDL - and get a check up once a year at the CVS walk in clinic
Whether the medical card was strictly required if you held a CDL but weren't engaged in actually driving commercially used to be kind of a gray area, but in the past few years the gray was erased by federal rule-making (more info there).

A person has to declare to their state driver license body whether their commercial driving is interstate or intrastate and whether they're excepted or non-excepted to the medical card requirement. My opinion on it is that if a person has health insurance and doesn't have a condition that prevents getting a medical card, then just get it. It's free: under Affordable Care Act rules a person is entitled to an annual physical exam and a DOT medical examination counts under that. (At least my doctor does it that way.)

For a person who has a condition that prevents receiving a DOT medical card, here is Utah's self-certification form. It lists 11 bullet points that might allow a person to declare interstate exempted status. States get to make their own rules but I expect most would be substantially similar to what's listed there. I link to this one mainly because it came up early in my search results and because I'm already familiar with it.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote