Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
Skoolie

Under conversion insurance option in VA

I can now quote buses under conversion!

There is an added charge for it, but once the conversion is done they'll review it again and possibly remove it. It also looks like they offer the in storage discounts too.

It will be liability only, so far I haven't been able to get anyone that will offer any physical damage for converted buses.

We do write in a few other states, but I'd have to check with the company to see if they would appoint us. I don't think they would do it if I only have one policy. The agency and owner are licensed in VA, MD, NC, WV, OH, FL and AK. We're half set up with GA.

Just remember, these are quotes. Unless the underwriter approves it I can't issue it.

sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Chevy Eldorado
Chassis: Fiberglass Shuttle Bus
Engine: C5500 Kodiak Diesel
Cracked the code of insurance

OMG I've been searching for over 4 months in able to insure my Chevy Eldorado conversion. Because the make and model (and VIN) are not usually insured, it's been a nightmare!

So here's the steps (after all the rejections) that finally led to successfully insuring my 27ft diesel chevy eldorado as a motorhome with roadside assistance, towing, Mexican coverage, PIP, comprehensive, and trailer insurance for $1016.

(Please note, I'm in Florida, the vehicle was purchased in CA and registered as a commercial shuttle)
  1. Called a weird number in FL and ended up speaking with a travel department guy who knew what I wanted to do. He said everything regarding updating VIN number to change a vehicle to an RV was done at the DMV/tax office. There was a document he emailed me to verify a few things that were necessary to be considered an RV (only one had to apply to the vehicle)
    • 110v wiring
    • plumbed bathroom
    • working kitchen with propane fridge
  2. My bus has wiring and solar power currently. I have a composting toilet and a kitchen with an electric fridge, but only the wiring is done right now. everything else is bones.
  3. Collect documents to head to the DMV. this required my change of name, updated drivers license, and the old title
  4. Head to the DMV. Luckily this didn't take long. The woman who helped had never done the paperwork before, but after going in the back and speaking with a coworker, I signed an affidavit confirming that the wiring was in place and the vehicle was indeed a motorhome. Nothing else was required, just about $90 to update everything.
  5. I had looked at insurance EVERYWHERE and no one would insure a commercial vehicle/bus conversion. I think this is different than most Skoolies, since a shuttle is a different model type. Stumbled upon AIS information from when I'd lived in CA (it was, luckily, an old email left in my inbox!) Called AIS - 800-826-3270 - and ONLY GAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
    • I'd like to insure my motorhome
    • The vehicle is a Chevy 'Eldo' (eldo is all it said on the new title, I PLAYED DUMB to AVOID TELLING THEM IT WAS COMMERCIAL)
    • VIN number, which now reflects a Motorhome, and necessary personal information to give me a quote

He called around and called me back with the quote within a day!

This was through AIS which I'm sure is a CA company. They had no problem insuring me living and registered in FL.

The contents are also covered, and the amount to cover (once it's built and full of all my cute shoes and Le Creuset cookware are packed in)can be updated and upgraded.

It took me MONTHS to figure this out. I hope it works for you if you're struggling with a conversion. LEAVE OUT the term 'conversion' or anything like it. PLAY DUMB if you have to, white lies are necessary after so long without insurance on my baby <3
Jessiekij is offline   Reply With Quote