Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I've been with USAA for 35 years now.

Back when they only dealt with Officers, they were a top-notch company. Very responsive and reasonable.

Now they are just after the almighty buck, customer service has plummeted.They thrive only on their fading reputation as a quality insurer.

After looking at some of threads here about the structural mods, the toy-haulers, the weight overloads, getting 6th-speed unlocked...you'd be nervous being the deep-pockets, too. Not to mention the D-class licenses driving 15 ton, air-brake vehicles, pulling a jeep.

That being said, If the insurance companies were serious, they would examine drivers and vehicles on a case by case basis, but they want quick and easy Internet quotes and policies.

Attached a picture of my "fun" truck with 39" tires and Cummins 8.3L . I use American Collectors for $325 /yr and plates run me $150 because of 60K GCVW Best Collectors Insurance Companies | Classic Car Insurance Rates & Quotes | Americans Collectors Insurance | www.americancollectors.com | American Collectors

When I got my USAA policy I was 16. My step dad's dad was an officer in the USAF. Back then it was a great company to deal with. Now I hate them.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
At least they warn in RED now. They used to let folks pay and think they had insurance for a few weeks.
Back in Oct. they had no red flags.
Entered as "other", International (nothing else added).
Got insurance for 75 days before they cancelled.

So maybe no red flags if you do not mention certain words like bus, school, conversion, etc. ?
You will at least have proof of insurance long enough to get it home, etc.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for progressive I had to Call on the phone... I didnt do the online part.. when I gasve them the VIN on both busses they came up as Internatrional '380' not 3800.. nevertheless they insured them both in one policy...

'commercial vehicle for personal use'.. I didnt select bus conversion, rv or anything.. I told them what they are.. school busses..

as for RV safety.. florida.. yeah florida.. I travel there lots.. have an apartment there and a lot of business.. ive been stopped up in traffic for MANY HOURS over the years only to find that it was yet another bounder, allegro, gulf stream, 5th wheel, etc layed out in pieces across the freeway...

granted in florida theres 10X the number of RV;s as there are in other places and many ouit of state drivers in regular cars who have no clue where they are going because the road exits change so much their GPS is out of date... thus likely adding to the number of crashes..

I agree there are some poorly built skoolies out there... ive seen them myself.. the crows here seems to be more safety concious than most as people here seem to be more into taking the time to build their RV or home.. but there's a lot of people who just yank the seats, stuff a couch, a frig, and slap some bunks out of 2x4's , and go.. a bus like that in a crash is likely to result in serious injuries to its occupants..

for an insurance company the loss of the insured vehicle is the least of the worries..

say you carried 300/500 medical and your inexoperienced skoolie driver flips on top of a car with a famnily of 4 in it... its very easy for that 500k to be paid out in full by the time is all said and done... thats a hard risk..

yes inexperienced drivers can flip an allegro as well.. however that shiny new allegro factory balanced, and with stability control, ABS, TPMS(to warn of low tires).. has a better shot at staying upright than an old school bus built poorly..

I believe thats why some of the other insurers want good sets of pictures... so they can see if it looks like a nicely done conversion or a hippy-bus..

its a fact of life insurance companies ONLY make money on the people who never needed insurance in the first place...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Back in Oct. they had no red flags.
Entered as "other", International (nothing else added).
Got insurance for 75 days before they cancelled.

So maybe no red flags if you do not mention certain words like bus, school, conversion, etc. ?
You will at least have proof of insurance long enough to get it home, etc.
I don't know how broadly adopted this is but my insurance company (State Farm) extends coverage to any vehicle I buy for 14 days to get the bus home and titled.

I would suggest that you contact the insurance agent that you work with for your auto & homeowners insurance and ask them about the 2 week grace period.

You may already have coverage in place that will cover your bus for the trip home and a little breathing room.

You will likely need some sort of "trip permit" for the trip home. The last couple I purchased cost me $25-$30 esch
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I don't know how broadly adopted this is but my insurance company (State Farm) extends coverage to any vehicle I buy for 14 days to get the bus home and titled.

I would suggest that you contact the insurance agent that you work with for your auto & homeowners insurance and ask them about the 2 week grace period.

You may already have coverage in place that will cover your bus for the trip home and a little breathing room.

You will likely need some sort of "trip permit" for the trip home. The last couple I purchased cost me $25-$30 esch
In Florida you can get a 30 day "trip permit" for $5.
You have to show proof of insurance with the vehicle vin being listed as insured.
I will ask about the get-it-home grace period next vehicle.
Thanks
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote