Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
USAA/Progressive

Welp, just spent the morning talking with USAA and affiliates. To sum it up, nobody is covering a skoolie unless the conversion is pro done "to comply with RV codes. When I called back and said private bus (huh?) and got transferred to commercial side I made headway. Since the bus is for "hauling people and equipment to camping locations" and NOT a conversion I was offered a progressive policy via usaa for about $650/yr. May try calling GMAC tomorrow.

ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there must be a whole lot more accidents involving converted skoolies than we know of... whats wierd is it is easy to get a non converted skoolie insured.. which would seem to me to be more of a risk..??

ie unconverted busses being used for parties and moving vans, etc which seems more likely to cause harm than an RV which most people drive carefully and maybe niot even as many hours on the road as a non-converted bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
The funny thing about this is I said "my buddies and I load up our dirtbikes and go raise hell on the weekend". No problem. Want to go camping with my toddler: huge issue.

It's all about poop, and honestly for good reason.
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC3S530
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 41
Reason Insurance Industry is anti-bus

The reason the insurance industry considers school bus conversions high risk is because their wheelbase is narrow and center of gravity high. Conversions tend to raise COG to the stratosphere if not done properly - making school bus conversions several times more likely to have a catastrophic rollover accident. Something to keep in mind as you design your bus - keep weight low whenever possible.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
Skoolie

Go online to Progressive & get a quote then call & activate it.

I got lucky & my auto insurance (State Auto) said they will cover it "like a rv since they are similar in size".
$350 a year.

Don't mention a sleeping bag. One guy said that they don't offer insurance for what I plan on using the bus for, it would have to be fully converted.
Be as vague as possible but as truthful as you HAVE to be.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
$179 a year for me through Progressive
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 04:31 AM   #7
Skoolie

Is yours fully converted? Quoted as a rv or bus?

It amazes me that the liability insurance on a motorhome/rv is cheaper than a standard bus.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Progressive think I'm driving around in my bus using it as a mobile office and storage for business. Its $600 a year.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC3S530
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 41
My plan is to ...

I have USAA for my car, when I attempted to add the bus to my policy they asked for the VIN. USAA's system would not accept the bus's VIN#. How do you get around THAT I have no idea. My plan at this point is to follow warewolf's Vermont title/tag plan - get an RV title in hand - and try to work from that point. Insurance drives me crazy. The whole concept of liability insurance is completely vehicle independent IMO - liability is created by people, not machines. If I rent a car, or borrow the neighbors car - and I get in an accident - my liability insurance pays for any liability caused by my culpability (whether I'm at fault). It has nothing to do whether I have a school bus in my driveway.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
You can't get commercial insurance online with Progressive.

You can go online at Progressive and get RV insurance on your bus.
But in about 30 to 60 days later they will notify you that they are cancelling your insurance. And direct you to call their commercial division.

I bought Progressive RV on my bus Oct. 21st 2016 and they notified me later that they would cancel on Jan 6th, 2017. Seventy five days worth before they yanked.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
Is yours fully converted? Quoted as a rv or bus?

It amazes me that the liability insurance on a motorhome/rv is cheaper than a standard bus.
Progressive listed it as a box truck (per vin#) for personal use.
Arkansas previous owner transferred the title into his name listed as a bus.
I visited with my Oklahoma tag agent, and she said since it was an out of state vehicle... She'll title it as a RV.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive had progressive Comnmerical on my DEV since may, its titled and registeredd as an RV.. I also have profgressive commerical on RedByrd since late septmber, its reigstered and titled as a non CDL bus.

$900 / year for FULL coverage on both busses total.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
Skoolie

I think coverage varies from state to state.
I went online to Progressives comercial site & was quoted $550 when I opted for personal use & $450 when I opted for farm use.
I went thru my local Farm Bureau & had Progressive...... for about a week & 1/2. Then got a cancellation notice. It was only $125 a year.

All can say is good luck.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
I think coverage varies from state to state.
I went online to Progressives comercial site & was quoted $550 when I opted for personal use & $450 when I opted for farm use.
I went thru my local Farm Bureau & had Progressive...... for about a week & 1/2. Then got a cancellation notice. It was only $125 a year.

All can say is good luck.
I just went on Progressive Direct Insurance and they do have an icon for RV / Motorhomes. However, when it asks for manufacturing company you can list other. then you are asked the model. You can put Other Non-Professional Bus Conversion. As soon as you hit that button; The dreaded red message comes up. Progressive does not cover Non-Professional Bus Conversion.
The funny thing it allowed me to go all the way through the application process and gave me a quote of $684.00 per year. This is for South Carolina.
IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
At least they warn in RED now. They used to let folks pay and think they had insurance for a few weeks.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I've been with USAA for 35 years now.

Back when they only dealt with Officers, they were a top-notch company. Very responsive and reasonable.

Now they are just after the almighty buck, customer service has plummeted.They thrive only on their fading reputation as a quality insurer.

After looking at some of threads here about the structural mods, the toy-haulers, the weight overloads, getting 6th-speed unlocked...you'd be nervous being the deep-pockets, too. Not to mention the D-class licenses driving 15 ton, air-brake vehicles, pulling a jeep.

That being said, If the insurance companies were serious, they would examine drivers and vehicles on a case by case basis, but they want quick and easy Internet quotes and policies.

Attached a picture of my "fun" truck with 39" tires and Cummins 8.3L . I use American Collectors for $325 /yr and plates run me $150 because of 60K GCVW Best Collectors Insurance Companies | Classic Car Insurance Rates & Quotes | Americans Collectors Insurance | www.americancollectors.com | American Collectors

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Are we talking about full coverage or liability here? Why not just use a broad form policy for $50.00 a month. Its just liability but you can ad towing. if you wreck the bus are you really fixing it? Its last tow job should be to the scrap yard. I have one of these policy's all my cars are old but insuring them all is quite a bit. I just take the chance that if i ever get in a wreck I'm out the car but the other guy is covered. This way they don't ask you or care what your driving they told me it just wasn't to be for business. had to be personal.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoricide View Post
The reason the insurance industry considers school bus conversions high risk is because their wheelbase is narrow and center of gravity high. Conversions tend to raise COG to the stratosphere if not done properly - making school bus conversions several times more likely to have a catastrophic rollover accident. Something to keep in mind as you design your bus - keep weight low whenever possible.
Good information!!

Keep your CG as low as possible and try to distribute loads (tanks, batteries& other heavy items. Don't put all of the heavy stuff to one side or one end of the bus.

Another consideration for the insurance industry. A $1500 bus puts any yahoo to build a bus. Done well or done poorly. A handful of skoolies I have seen have been so poorly built and wired that they were a hazard. I fear that a couple of them that I have seen have already burned down

For the insurance company it is all about the actuarials. If they see a higher rate of claims in one type of vehicle or driver then they will charge a higher rate for that driver or vehicle type. Or, they will simply stop insuring them.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I've been with USAA for 35 years now.

Back when they only dealt with Officers, they were a top-notch company. Very responsive and reasonable.

Now they are just after the almighty buck, customer service has plummeted.They thrive only on their fading reputation as a quality insurer.

After looking at some of threads here about the structural mods, the toy-haulers, the weight overloads, getting 6th-speed unlocked...you'd be nervous being the deep-pockets, too. Not to mention the D-class licenses driving 15 ton, air-brake vehicles, pulling a jeep.

That being said, If the insurance companies were serious, they would examine drivers and vehicles on a case by case basis, but they want quick and easy Internet quotes and policies.

Attached a picture of my "fun" truck with 39" tires and Cummins 8.3L . I use American Collectors for $325 /yr and plates run me $150 because of 60K GCVW Best Collectors Insurance Companies | Classic Car Insurance Rates & Quotes | Americans Collectors Insurance | www.americancollectors.com | American Collectors

Great lookin' ride

On the other note about 15 ton units... Right now, I can put on my slippers and walk around the campground and meet six 80 year olds driving Class A motorhomes, pulling toads... I'd say if I were in Florida, I'd find 30 of them in a campground at any given time.

I don't push my bus to it's limits, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere... I'll be there when I get there. It's the other drivers that scare the **** outta me!
It's all subjective and there's a ton of variables.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
Are we talking about full coverage or liability here? Why not just use a broad form policy for $50.00 a month. Its just liability but you can ad towing. if you wreck the bus are you really fixing it? Its last tow job should be to the scrap yard. I have one of these policy's all my cars are old but insuring them all is quite a bit. I just take the chance that if i ever get in a wreck I'm out the car but the other guy is covered. This way they don't ask you or care what your driving they told me it just wasn't to be for business. had to be personal.
Be aware that Broad Form policies do have some gotcha's:

Read Before Purchasing Broad Form Insurance:
You, and only you, are covered while driving a car you own or have permission to use.You are not covered if you let someone else drive a car you own. (But you will be held legally responsible)You are not covered while driving a motorcycle, motor home, or while driving for business use.You are not covered for any physical damage that happens to a car you own or drive.If another policy provides coverage on the car you are driving, Broad Form Named Operator Coverage will be excess (secondary) of that coverage
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote