Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
V.I.N. locations in BB?

The primary location of the Vehicle Identification Number these days... is inside the windshield, at bottom left -- viewable from outside the windshield.

In addition, Blue Birds (at least) have the VIN on a black decal inside, above the driver seat. This decal is attached to a removable panel, so it is not a very "secure" VIN -- anyone with a screwdriver could move it to another vehicle.

Anyone know of a third VIN location?

I ask because the VIN in the windshield -- in fact, that entire section of the bus -- will be removed in my new project, the Albatross.

I cannot remember ever really-really needing to read the VIN on any of my vehicles after the purchase and registration process. (Except for smog checks, which does not apply.) But one never knows -- specially with a modified vehicle like Albatross will be. So an original VIN stamped in the frame or some such would be nice to know about.

If no-one here knows, I will ask a dealer. But then I would have to spend time explaining why....

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

On travel trailers it's on a sticker on the siding. Remove the siding sticker gone, so the have to get a new sticker. I think you can apply for a replacement before the original is removed.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Perhaps, but that means more bureaucracy to wrestle with.
I might remove a goodly section of the bus including the VIN tag and graft it into the Albatross. After all, I will be doing that with much else. It may even be a smart thing to do, in order to reuse the defroster system.

Also, the VIN tag is a separate aluminum plate which is fastened with two rivets.

I'm still hoping the VIN is stamped into the frame.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote