Old 04-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

VA registration options

Can a private truck with air brakes and a gvcw higher than 26k lbs be driven without a CDL in Virginia?
Whiskeyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjr View Post
Can a private truck with gvcw higher than 26k lbs be driven without a CDL?
in Illinois, unless it is legally recognized as an RV, no. You must have a CDL and all the sub required authorizations, i.e. air brakes and anything else that you would normally need.

I'm looking to see if there is an avenue around it. I called today to see if i can get away with registering the vehicle as an RV. I asked if i could have the 4 required systems on construction site but not permanently installed and get the RV registration. with the RV registration i can avoid the CDL requirement.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjr View Post
Can a private truck with air brakes and a gvcw higher than 26k lbs be driven without a CDL in Virginia?

Guess it depends on how you interpret the DMV CDL manual. From how I understand it you shouldn't need a CDL (key term in CDL is Commercial), but I'm not a lawyer (although I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express hotels). I haven't tried to talk with anyone at the DMV to get their opinion though.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
You're vague about what you want to do with your bus. Are you talking about hauling people? Using it as a van? Anything for commercial purposes will be considerably more expensive, people or freight.
The DMV agreed that mine is a large van, and is titled as a van.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

VA registration options

To be clear, I want to purchase a longer bus, renovate into a Skoolie style camper/RV, and travel across the country with my small family. Might have as many as eight people on the vehicle at any one time.

I would like to have a donor bus that features air brakes, Diesel engine, air suspension if I am so lucky.

The conversion will feature a pressure delivery potable water system, flushing black water waste system, electric cooking and several beds. The vehicle will also have power generation and climate control independent of the main engine.

This description walks, talks, and smells like an RV.

I plan to do this conversion myself.

I plan to contact the VA DMV and purchase a potential purchase permit, and contact Progressive Insurance (my auto insurance company) and get provisional insurance on the bus prior to purchase.

I bring it back to VA, titling the thing as a private bus. Per county requirements, park it in the backyard while I modify and upgrade. I will need to get a safety inspection prior to putting it on the road for trips to the dump or various supply stores.

Once completed, is there any benefit to titling as an RV? From the above responses, it sounds like it's best to leave it as a bus. Will this cause any uncomfortable interactions derived from interstate transport of a private bus that looks like an RV?

Sorry for the long response and multiple questions, I just want to sort this stuff out before any more effort or dollars are thrown at this project.
Whiskeyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
I doubt there would be any interstate issues, other than not being school bus yellow in some states. Internationally might be a different issue, if you wanted to go to Mexico or Canada, without motor home status since it is basically now a motor home on steroids.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #17
Bus Nut

If it's registered in Va then it doesn't matter what other state laws are. It will be a private vehicle so commercial laws don't apply.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:56 AM   #18
Bus Nut

If you are using it for anything that whiffs of business, you'll need a CDL. If you are using it only for "personal uses, such as recreation" then no CDL is needed.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote