Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Virginia: Progressive said 'no'

I called a local insurance agent who is able to write Progressive policies, and asked about covering a bus-to-RV conversion using a "commercial policy for private use". He said he would call me back - and did, with bad news. Turns out Progressive in Virginia won't touch it. (Date on the call was 5/27/16 - if you're reading this down the road you probably should check again.)

He says things like this can vary by state, so he wasn't calling into question the advice I've seen here. But he couldn't help me, other than to suggest I contact an agent in the state I wish to move TO, in hopes that he'll write a policy based on the new address.

Thought folks might want to know.

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
Bus Nut

AIS wrote my commercial policy for personal use through Progressive in my home state of Indiana... Maybe I could make a supplemental income letting skoolies use my address for their policy...
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you don't get the answeres you want, ask someone else. My agent had never heard of this commercial policy for private use before, and actually looked it up while I was talking to her husband in the outer office.
Point is, most agents assume they know it all and won't even bother to look.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If you don't get the answeres you want, ask someone else. My agent had never heard of this commercial policy for private use before, and actually looked it up while I was talking to her husband in the outer office.
Good advice. But this guy called the underwriters at Progressive Virginia. Seems a state-specific decision. At least for VA.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
call this guy
Home - CBI Insurance
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
call this guy
Home - CBI Insurance
Thanks! Will do!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:29 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:17 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I had talked to my cousin, who's been in insurance for 20 odd years here in NJ. Commercial for private use is something that isn't that hard to do, but agencies he deals won't touch buses with a 10m cattle prod. One of the local independent agents I was talking too during my quest to insure my bus actually referred me to their commercial branch.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Thanks! Will do!
progressive commercial privite use, tell them there are no seats in it
. it was 750 the first year and 320 the second year, its all about money!
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
progressive commercial privite use, tell them there are no seats in it
. it was 750 the first year and 320 the second year, its all about money!

actually seats in it is good for progressive commercial.. the question asked of me when I signed up was 'and your are keeping this a bus, correct?'

we all know they wojnt insure a cnverted to RV school bus.. but in my case my bus is in fact staying a bus..

I told them I have seats for 12 + the driver.. if you are under 15 seats they seem to like it best.. or thats what was implied

-Christophrer
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Above 15 passenger and you get into CDL requirements which is an entirely different class of underwriting even if it's non-commercial use. Its just that this hobby/fascination/sickness we have plants us squarely in the middle of a legislative and therefore insurance gray area. If it's no longer a bus but not yet an RV, it's really just a heavy duty van such as a moving van or enclosed box truck if you can convince all parties of this for insurance and registration. States with strong agricultural economies seem to be more lenient IMO from reading this forum; they can slip it through as some sort of farm truck until it meets the RV requirements. I don't know if VA falls into that category.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Bus Geek

the insurance company doesnt care about CDL or not.. CDL or not is a state's issue.. i cannot speak for virginia as far as vehicle registration and licensing... but the insiurance company strictly looks at the vehicle and the risk they take..

progressive and many other insurance companies feel thast converted school busses are a bad risk... most of the people on this forum are careful about securing their installations, balancing loads, center of gravity, front to back weight distribution, etc..

HOWEVER there are a LOT of poorly converted school busses out there where a quick stop will send a frig or a table flying right into the driver compartment.. or a heavy side loaded conversion that will flip easily etc... they found that there was likely too many claims...

some insurance companies wont insure custom cars either.. mainly because of the liability portion.. when you carry 100/300 (standard). most often even in a major claim.. they dont pay out near that amount of money for the medical liability or property repair....

if you dump a school bus theres a lot more hurt than can be inflicted on people..

obviously its entirely possible to dump a commercially made RV as well.. I see them smashed to pieces all the time on my florida trips from ohio... but the RV makers have to pay attention to balancing, loading, etc ...

again the arguments dont make a ton of sense as school busses are heavier duty, safer, etc.. but they go by how much they pay out on average.. so at some point they mustve paid out a lot on converted school busses as a whole in the insurance industry..

-Christopher
Old 05-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
Bus Nut

You can still register the bus in VA and get plates and drive it legally if you pay the $500 uninsured vehicle fee (see like below). Obviously most people's last choice but an option until you can find a policy. Also, think of the millions of people that are driving in the U.S without insurance. Not saying it's right, it's just a fact.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
You can still register the bus in VA and get plates and drive it legally if you pay the $500 uninsured vehicle fee (see like below). Obviously most people's last choice but an option until you can find a policy. Also, think of the millions of people that are driving in the U.S without insurance. Not saying it's right, it's just a fact.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Yeah, but I don't know that I like the idea of that much liability...
Old 05-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Virginia actually let's you admit you're driving uninsured?! Wow!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
Bus Geek

in ohio they dont check when you register but they give you random insurance checks .. you get a letter in the ail and have to show proof of insurance or that you have a Dedicated special bond account with 35k in it that you cant touvh and earn no interest on..
-Christopher
Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

And so I'm finding out the same issues Dapple had. Called the Farm Bureau agent I've used for almost 25 yrs to ask if my auto policy covers me, even if just for the transport home, if I buy a "former bus". Typical auto policy doesn't cover a bus so I ask if there are any short term policies, liability only, I can get to cover the drive home and I'll worry about the permanent policy after I have it in the yard. He's checked several underwriters w/o success but has a few more places to check and will let me know tomorrow. I mentioned the "Commercial Policy for Private Use" and he's checking that too. He's a good agent who goes out of his way to help us so I'm sure he's checking all available options. I'll let you know what he finds.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote