Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by evathedefiler View Post
Progressive was explicit that registering as an rv would cause them cancel a commercial for personal use policy.
Interesting - when we traveled from Ohio to SD (with the intent to go to WA so we were using a WA agent) Progressive wouldn't cover us as an RV even though that's how she's titled due to her condition (she was in bad shape and it made sense when she explained it) but they DID insure her as commercial. It was a bit more expensive but it got us on the road.

WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
When you get tired of searching call an independent insurance agent and ask for a commercial policy for private use. If you've done that and it didn't work, call a different independent insurance agent.

There is a reason many of us keep telling you to take this route to getting a policy. This is the one thing that seems to work nationwide.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt466
Rated Cap: 42
I swear I said we’d picked up a commercial for personal use policy with Progressive. But leaving the title as a bus to keep Progressive happy may leave us with a cdl problem here in WA. So ultimately I’d like to find an insurer who is content to have it titled as a motorhome and isn’t going to want more conversion work than we want to do.

I kee getting directed to the WA DOL page for who -doesn’t- need a cdl... RV aka motorhome title here in WA. But WA DOL page for who -does- need a cdl also says vehicles over 26000 lbs... which as I understand it would apply if titled as a bus. I promise I’m well researched and read closely and checking into agents and options as I become aware of them.
evathedefiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I think you may be getting confused between GVWR and actual weight. The bus's GVWR is determined by the original manufacturer based on the load capacities of the axles, tires, suspension etc and the braking capacity, and this will not change regardless of what you do to it. As long as it never exceeds the GVWR, you're OK. The actual weight, i.e what the scale says, is up to you and how you build it and load it. Vehicle registration classes are usually, but not always, based on GVWR, not actual weight. Some states such as CA require a Class B driver's license if operating a vehicle over 26,000 GVWR, but if that vehicle is not being used for commercial purposes it will not be a federal Class B CDL - instead it will be a State non-commercial Class B. That's why non-commercial Class B and A licenses exist.

Imagine having a huge 5th-wheel trailer behind a big-rig Volvo tractor unit instead of the usual heavy-duty duallie pickup. What's needed to drive that Volvo truck? It's evidently not in commercial use, even though it was originally designed to be, so therefore a non-com license is needed. See, it's the use that matters, not what the vehicle was originally made to do. I have a friend with an army HEMTT, and he has it registered as a pickup truck because it has a load bed on it! He probably needs a non-com Class B because I expect it's well over 26K GVWR, but it's not commercial so no CDL is needed for it. (Besides, what cop is willing to pull over what looks like a real army truck, complete with eight huge tires that could drive right over his cop car like it's not there?!)

Don't go by what some dude in the WA State offices says. Print out the relevant sections of the WA State vehicle code, keep them with you, and don't be afraid to show them to someone who contradicts the actual code!

Good luck, John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thought a "Heavy" might make a cool and original RV...but someone beat us to it!

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Washington doesn’t offer non-commercial class b and such. You get a regular driver license or you can get a variety of cdl classes. WA does however use manufacturer gross vehicle weight and not scale weight as the defining weight for cdl.

We are one of those states where you can drive damn near anything on a regular license if it’s an rv or a horse trailer.

I completely follow the argument that it’s use not vehicle that matters but the WA DOL site states it explicitly the other way. I don’t think we’re actually likely to get static here in WA but we like to cross t’s and dot i’s by nature.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Though thank you for pointing me at the actual RCW. They state a recreational vehicle is exempt and define it by use and type but there is no contingency of how it is registered as part of the definition. At as far as I find so far... joys of searching rcw.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #28
Almost There

Year: 2001
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: DT466E
Hi,
Thanks for sharing the great info. Im almost done with my build and now i need to get insurance and have the title changed to rv. I live in granite falls and the license place is telling me i need an inspection, do you know where i can get it changed without the inspection and also a contact at your insurance company you can recommend.
Thanks
Michael
Cdimples67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #29
Almost There

Hi,
What office did you go to? I tried the one in granite falls by my house and they stated i need an inspection.
Thanks,
Michael
Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdimples67 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for sharing the great info. Im almost done with my build and now i need to get insurance and have the title changed to rv. I live in granite falls and the license place is telling me i need an inspection, do you know where i can get it changed without the inspection and also a contact at your insurance company you can recommend.
Thanks
Michael
The one in Lk Stevens (Mail Zone) told me the same. The one in Snohomish will take care of you (Barb's?).

Affidavit of conversion. No inspection.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #31
Almost There

Thats the one i went to, i will try barbs. I appreciate the help
Old 05-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #32
Bus Geek

No problem.

Barb's has done two buses for me.

I lived in Granite until August of last year. I sure miss it...
Old 05-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

We called license offices and asked for their procedure to title as a a motorhome/rv. When we got one that answered no inspection we took the clerks name and bustled on over.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #34
Almost There

Thanks for the valuable info PNWsteve, I went there Friday after work and walked out 10 mins later with plates and tabs. So much easier than jumping through all the BS they wanted me too....
Old 05-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #35
Bus Geek

You are most welcome.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #36

Any idea how much a short school bus weighs?
jameshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #37
Almost There

Year: 1969
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
None of the insurance companies I spoke to needed this. If they do, you're more than likely going to need to take it to a scale for an official weight.
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, washington