Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
Send a message via AIM to John Chance Send a message via Yahoo to John Chance
When is a CDL needed?

I was on my way back to Huntsville, Texas from Duchesne, Utah with my new 1986 GMC 6000 Skoolie, when a little old lady ran a Stop Sign in front of me in Dennison, Texas and wrecked the front of my new bus. She received the blame for causing the accident but I was cited for not having a Commercial Driver's License (CDL). The lights on the bus had been disabled by the School District before I picked up the bus, my buddy and I had unbolted seats already (but they were still in place for the return trip home), and I was not in the act of transporting anyone for hire. The bus is a 60-passenger capacity, has air brakes, and a two-speed rear axle. I was doing about 25 mph when the lady came through the Stop Sign at about 40.

How come the police say I have to have a CDL to operate this bus? Is there anything I can say to the Judge or show to The Court to beat this wrap?

Unless there is something within you that is above you, you become lost in those things that are about you.
John Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
Steve's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 1,838
Send a message via AIM to Steve
It varies for each state and how you have your bus registered. It may also depend on if you bus has air brakes or hydraulic brakes.

I have my bus registered with the state of Iowa as a Class-A motorhome. In Iowa you are not required to have a CDL no matter what size of motorhome you are driving.

Sorry to hear about what happened.
View my 1972 Ward: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
View my 1986 Blue Bird: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
View my 1960 GMC: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
Vern1's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pettytown, Texas, US of A
Posts: 103

Unfortunately in Texas, until you retitle your bus as a Motorhome, it's still a private bus or commercial vehicle and you are legally required to have a CDL.

The title conversion process has some requirements to convert to motorhome:

You have to take the existing title to the TxDOT.

You have to have a certified weight certificate.

You have to have pictures showing the bus AFTER the conversion.

The pictures will have to show some of the following(at least three, I think):

Working kitchen or place to cook

Working bathroom - can be a portapotie

Bedroom or place to sleep

Electrical system - 12V and/or genset/shore power plug system

Less than 15 seats

Oh, don't forget insurance papers!

There are some other things too, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
1976 International Wayne - ON THE ROAD!!
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help needed arnold Alternative Fuels | Electric, Propane, Wood Gasification, etc. 6 05-27-2009 08:27 PM
bus needed busfreak Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap 6 04-06-2009 09:36 PM
help needed the_experience03 Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 0 06-07-2007 06:58 PM
PA System Needed. Can You Help? churchbus Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap 6 12-21-2005 03:59 PM
help needed capttrips25 Skoolie Conversion Projects 13 10-05-2004 03:04 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.