Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdreams View Post
Insurance issues is one of the things that scares me. One of the reasons I don't already have a bus, if I'm honest.

Recently bought a trailer w/o title (OK doesn't require title on livestock trailers) and am fighting that battle now. May become a $1900 lawn ornament.

The upside of all this is that you can do some pre-planning. Figure out the type of bus you're most interested in and then find a VIN or just year/make/model and start making calls. Insurance quotes don't affect your credit so it doesn't matter if you call 20 places. Figure out what/where you can get insurance and then when you start really looking at a vehicle go back to that place and see if they can still do it.

Keep in mind that insurance carriers do change their rules and rates, so be prepared for things to change if you come back 30+ days later.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Insurance issues is one of the things that scares me. One of the reasons I don't already have a bus, if I'm honest.

Recently bought a trailer w/o title (OK doesn't require title on livestock trailers) and am fighting that battle now. May become a $1900 lawn ornament.
On something like that I would build what you want and then tell them you have a homebuilt trailer that needs a VIN assigned to it. I was given an old 16' utility trailer that had hauled a bobcat around on. Floor was wasted, had mobile home axles with 14.5" trailer tires. I took it and reskinned it in 5/4" deck board, some 6" drop axles and Ford ranger wheels and had a brand new trailer. The only thing important to me was that it had never been assigned a VIN or was ever registered. When I was done I filled out a DMV form, they gave me a VIN tag with instruction on how to properly secure it to the trailer and then call a local cop to come sign off on it. The cops only interest was that the VIN tag was properly secured. Didn't care if it had lights or that they worked or inspect it for any other numbers or anything. I hauled my race car on it for 20 years, it's still in the drive, I'll never sell it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
On something like that I would build what you want and then tell them you have a homebuilt trailer that needs a VIN assigned to it. I was given an old 16' utility trailer that had hauled a bobcat around on. Floor was wasted, had mobile home axles with 14.5" trailer tires. I took it and reskinned it in 5/4" deck board, some 6" drop axles and Ford ranger wheels and had a brand new trailer. The only thing important to me was that it had never been assigned a VIN or was ever registered. When I was done I filled out a DMV form, they gave me a VIN tag with instruction on how to properly secure it to the trailer and then call a local cop to come sign off on it. The cops only interest was that the VIN tag was properly secured. Didn't care if it had lights or that they worked or inspect it for any other numbers or anything. I hauled my race car on it for 20 years, it's still in the drive, I'll never sell it.
This is what I'm finding here as well. I'm just wondering how much I need to change to consider it home built. It's pretty much as I'll leave it. other than maybe a paint job and new tires. Here the HP has to come out and say it's homemade before you can get the VIN decal. What I'm not clear on is if he/she bases that on how it looks, or just if it doesn't have a VIN. To be clear for anyone else facing this, in MO if it's under 16' the inspection can be done where you have your other vehicles inspected. 16' or above requires HP.
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
This is what I'm finding here as well. I'm just wondering how much I need to change to consider it home built. It's pretty much as I'll leave it. other than maybe a paint job and new tires. Here the HP has to come out and say it's homemade before you can get the VIN decal. What I'm not clear on is if he/she bases that on how it looks, or just if it doesn't have a VIN. To be clear for anyone else facing this, in MO if it's under 16' the inspection can be done where you have your other vehicles inspected. 16' or above requires HP.
If it was manufactured without a VIN number then you build on top of that frame it essentially becomes a homebuilt trailer and must be VIN'd and registered.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #25
Almost There

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
When I chose bus conversion, I got the "not covered" message. BUT I called, talked to a nice gentleman, and got the numbers of 3 local agents. First one already had a few Skoolies under her belt so I'm covered with Progressive but it's underwritten by someone else. Online doesn't have that option.
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #26

Year: 1991
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
Progressive

They covered me under commercial but told me policy is void once seats removed. Wo tcober skoolie in WA.
druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #27
Almost There

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American
Although I do not like progressive from past experiences, they were one of the few insurance companies I called today that accepted Bluebird as make of an RV! Does anyone have part time RV full coverage through progressive?
Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #28
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
Although I do not like progressive from past experiences, they were one of the few insurance companies I called today that accepted Bluebird as make of an RV! Does anyone have part time RV full coverage through progressive?
As a Bluebird owner also, I do but I'd be wary of that. If you don't select bus conversion they can deny claims and/drop your coverage. I've spoken to the online reps NUMEROUS times and they don't do conversion s. BUT they will help you find a local representative who may do conversions. It's a matter of who underwrites the policy and the underwriters for online don't do Skoolies. My local agent has several policies on Skoolies

As a side, if you get Good Sam Roadside Assistance and actually need a tow, they will make you send pictures of the conversion. Why they don't ask for them when you sign up is beyond me. (We were 50 miles away on day 3 of trying to get a tow when they sprung that on us.)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: GMC 3500 Cutaway
Engine: 4.8 V8
Rated Cap: 14 passengers
I received a quote but in the not so fine print with it it clearly stated they don’t insure school bus conversions.
Dclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Is it easier if its registered as an RV? i just want to get mine home.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #31
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
I may be wrong, but given they can drop it and/or deny a claim once it's determined to be a Skoolie, there's a potential for that falling under insurance fraud. Just call a local rep and do it the legal way. Our coverage as full timers is $27 a month.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Still don't know where you are to try and answer specifically for your area. You say State Farm will insure it if you have other policy's with them. I have all my policies with them in Ga. and they will not insure my bus as a bus, but will insure it as an RV once 4 of the 6 requirements have been made. I'd be surprised if State Farm, being as big as they are, is that different in their policies in a different state.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:33 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I had no luck with progressive but I didn’t call them I was just online. I ended up getting a policy from National General thru a GoodSam broker. I was asked no questions about how it was registered but I had to provide a ton of pictures of the unit showing the bath and galley and I had to convince them that the solar panels on the roof were not a deck.

So if your bus is not converted yet I’ve been no help!
Old 08-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #34
Almost There

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American
so far Nat General seems to be my best brt but I was bit confused by some of their terminology. They only offer liability but if the bus is "totaled" they replace the value of the bus? I really thought the vehicle could only be covered with comprehensive and collision?
Secondly I will call back progressive and specify my bluebird is a conversion and not a wander lodge. By local agent do you mean a local progressive office or an I depended insurance underwriter?
I'm kind of in a hurry to get my Skoolie out of the campground I bought it at and somewhere else to finish working on her.
Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
so far Nat General seems to be my best brt but I was bit confused by some of their terminology. They only offer liability but if the bus is "totaled" they replace the value of the bus? I really thought the vehicle could only be covered with comprehensive and collision?
Secondly I will call back progressive and specify my bluebird is a conversion and not a wander lodge. By local agent do you mean a local progressive office or an I depended insurance underwriter?
I'm kind of in a hurry to get my Skoolie out of the campground I bought it at and somewhere else to finish working on her.
My coverage with National General is only for liability- 100/300/100 and for medical and for uninsured motorists, I am completely on my own (I believe) for collision and comp.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingLass View Post
I may be wrong, but given they can drop it and/or deny a claim once it's determined to be a Skoolie, there's a potential for that falling under insurance fraud. Just call a local rep and do it the legal way. Our coverage as full timers is $27 a month.
I am not going to do anything illegal, but this has kind of turned into a joke looking for coverage...
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I just added a new (old) bus to my progressive coverage.. they must be getting a lot of calls lately, as this time the lady asked (i called).. if my bus was converted, if it still had it's seats in it, and if it was going to remain a bus and only be used for "normal everyday personal use".. so it seems progressive is "catching on" more to skoolies.. in my case im OK as all my busses are all seated.. but just something for others to think about.. it might be an option for those looking to have a policy till your bus is converted but definitely not after.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, progressive