Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Where in the process is Progressive failing people??

Good Morning!

I'm filling out the Progressive Insurance online form for a quote. They got me to the "Here's Your Quote. Choose a 12 Month Package" page. I'm not choosing a package yet because I need to finish getting the vehicle registered first, HOWEVER this is reassuring that they're offering me insurance... Or are they??

Are you folks that are NOT having luck with Progressive not even getting to this page, OR are you getting to this page and the insurance process isn't being completed? Just wondering where the hiccups are happening. Maybe I shouldn't be doing cartwheels yet?

Thanks and have a terrific day!

Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Usually happens about a month or two into your coverage that they cancel you when the underwriters see what it is.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Mine happened a month after "coverage". My guess, like o1marc alluded to, is that underwriters finally get around to looking at it, realize it's a skoolie, and then cancel it.

So, start looking for actual insurance. I've had better luck talking to a local agent and having them do the leg work vs me trying to get it online.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Skoolie

If you get a policy and then get cancelled 30-90 days later due to vehicle type, do you really want to roll the dice on having a claim covered before the cancellation?

The problem with Progressive is that they don't insure buses. So trying to skirt the system is only going to hurt you, not them. I just talked to underwriting in VA about a bus yesterday and they don't even do professional conversions anymore.

You're better off talking to someone and telling them what you have and what you're doing and getting insurance that way. If you ever get cancelled for misrepresentation it's like you never even had that insurance policy, and very few insurance companies would then insure you.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Skoolie

So bizarre that you can get a quote for a Class A vehicle from Progressive. Why would they even have the Class A option for you to pick on their website (including a little icon of a bus) if they don't want to deal with them?
Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Fairy View Post
So bizarre that you can get a quote for a Class A vehicle from Progressive. Why would they even have the Class A option for you to pick on their website (including a little icon of a bus) if they don't want to deal with them?

I'm honestly not surprised the online quote hasn't changed. They change underwriting rules a lot. They did insure buses for a time, and they did insure professional conversions, now they don't. I've called them for commercial quotes for dirt/sand/gravel hauling and they would do a truck tractor, then they wouldn't, now they do it again.

Best advice I can give you is to find an independent insurance agent and tell them what you have and what you're doing. Trustedchoice.com is a good place to start, or just search for independent insurance agent and your zip or state, generally it'll take you to the BIG I/Trustedchoice find an agent site.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
I'm honestly not surprised the online quote hasn't changed. They change underwriting rules a lot. They did insure buses for a time, and they did insure professional conversions, now they don't. I've called them for commercial quotes for dirt/sand/gravel hauling and they would do a truck tractor, then they wouldn't, now they do it again.

Best advice I can give you is to find an independent insurance agent and tell them what you have and what you're doing. Trustedchoice.com is a good place to start, or just search for independent insurance agent and your zip or state, generally it'll take you to the BIG I/Trustedchoice find an agent site.
If your bus conversion is registered as a Class A Motor Home, then which box do you check when working with an independent agent? Motor Home or Bus Conversion? Is one going to give a better rate than the other? Does insurance go by what is on your Registration?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
If your bus conversion is registered as a Class A Motor Home, then which box do you check when working with an independent agent? Motor Home or Bus Conversion? Is one going to give a better rate than the other? Does insurance go by what is on your Registration?

It's a bus conversion, it wasn't a motorhome out of the original factory. Your VIN will most likely pull up as a bus. The bus conversion might be rated a bit higher and harder to get insured, but it will be correct and you won't have to worry about not having coverage in event of a claim.

The insurance cares more that it is registered/titled and less about how, in most cases. It just depends on the company.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
I wouldn't want to use progressive anyway! Last year when I totaled my Ford F-250 while moving cross country the didn't pay a dime! I switched to full coverage before moving and waited on them but got nothing. Apparently there was no way to prove that my truck hadn't bottomed out and had the damage before I bought it?!?!
Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Good Morning!

I'm filling out the Progressive Insurance online form for a quote. They got me to the "Here's Your Quote. Choose a 12 Month Package" page. I'm not choosing a package yet because I need to finish getting the vehicle registered first, HOWEVER this is reassuring that they're offering me insurance... Or are they??

Are you folks that are NOT having luck with Progressive not even getting to this page, OR are you getting to this page and the insurance process isn't being completed? Just wondering where the hiccups are happening. Maybe I shouldn't be doing cartwheels yet?

Thanks and have a terrific day!
Called progressive two days ago. She said this while reading, "We do not insure any bus conversions." She did recommend a company called "Foremost." Has anyone used them?
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3600 vista
Engine: Navistar ,DT466E
Rated Cap: 32 / 64
I guess getting insurance through them might depend on the state you live in. But all you have to do is call and ask them for a local agent in your area that will cover you for the bus policy then just call them and get your policy I just got my second bus insured through local agent/progressive two months ago.
CoryBodiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
If you get a policy and then get cancelled 30-90 days later due to vehicle type, do you really want to roll the dice on having a claim covered before the cancellation?

The problem with Progressive is that they don't insure buses. So trying to skirt the system is only going to hurt you, not them. I just talked to underwriting in VA about a bus yesterday and they don't even do professional conversions anymore.

You're better off talking to someone and telling them what you have and what you're doing and getting insurance that way. If you ever get cancelled for misrepresentation it's like you never even had that insurance policy, and very few insurance companies would then insure you.

progressive commercial very much insures busses... they dont insure CONVERTED school busses.. I have 2 busses insured with them and im on my 3rd year.. I told them they are busses.. they told me with the policy I have that i cannot use my bus for paid commerce or put a DOT number on it.. that they are commercial vehicles for personal use.. in my case for roadtrips and going to starbucks(lol)..

they asked me on my 2nd addition if I was converting it? i said no.. as im not.. its full of seats.. (my first one still has half of its seats too and isnt a camper)..

I dont think they would deny me in a crash.. that would be falsely selling me a product im paying for if they did..

a LOT of it is zip code dependent.. they may not insure them in every zip code... apparently in mine they do..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
progressive commercial very much insures busses... they dont insure CONVERTED school busses.. I have 2 busses insured with them and im on my 3rd year.. I told them they are busses.. they told me with the policy I have that i cannot use my bus for paid commerce or put a DOT number on it.. that they are commercial vehicles for personal use.. in my case for roadtrips and going to starbucks(lol)..

they asked me on my 2nd addition if I was converting it? i said no.. as im not.. its full of seats.. (my first one still has half of its seats too and isnt a camper)..

I dont think they would deny me in a crash.. that would be falsely selling me a product im paying for if they did..

a LOT of it is zip code dependent.. they may not insure them in every zip code... apparently in mine they do..

-Christopher

Remember insurance varies depending on your state, unless I specify otherwise I'm talking about VA. It does also depend on use and whether or not you're going to convert it. But in VA when I've talked to them about a bus conversion it's going to be declined by Progressive. Even if you're talking about a non-commercial non-conversion bus, in VA the commercial underwriters at Progressive have told me no.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRev View Post
Called progressive two days ago. She said this while reading, "We do not insure any bus conversions." She did recommend a company called "Foremost." Has anyone used them?

We write with Foremost, RVs are fine, but a bus conversion is iffy. Has to have permanent cooking/sleeping areas, but they also said it has to be a professional conversion and never used as a bus before conversion.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40' Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
Definitely progressive will not cover a converted school bus
Attached Thumbnails
2018-07-20 07_04_33-Shop for Recreational Vehicle Insurance.png  
Mgulley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I talked to a person by phone. All was ok until I said I would be living in it. They said restriction is "recreational use" meaning no more than 4 weeks a year. That was through eSurance/All State Insurance. I said since I didn't know about that restriction, I would have to change my plans for travelling. They said "too late"; you already said you would be living in it and that is going in your records.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
I talked to a person by phone. All was ok until I said I would be living in it. They said restriction is "recreational use" meaning no more than 4 weeks a year. That was through eSurance/All State Insurance. I said since I didn't know about that restriction, I would have to change my plans for travelling. They said "too late"; you already said you would be living in it and that is going in your records.
And how much did they want from you to insure it for 4 weeks a year?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
Liability only for my 2001 Chevy g3500 6.5L turbo diesel shuttle bus will run the same as my 2008 Dodge Caliber car.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #19
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Engine: DT466
Really? I have heard about insuring only if professional converted. People are obviously finding insurance, but it seems difficult.
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Insurance issues is one of the things that scares me. One of the reasons I don't already have a bus, if I'm honest.

Recently bought a trailer w/o title (OK doesn't require title on livestock trailers) and am fighting that battle now. May become a $1900 lawn ornament.
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, progressive