Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Woot ! I'm a RV now !

A man walks into a DMV.....

There is a deli-style take-a-number and only 28 more numbers until they call mine. There are 6 windows open, I sure hope I don't get that SUPER-loud clerk who is by-the-book. This guy broadcasts your business to the entire room filled with 80 strangers like you are a two-year old being scolded.

Yep, HE calls my number. I have a ruse opening transaction- a trailer I don't care if gets registered, but started with that. Nope, can't register- they didn't put their auction number on the Title. *Sigh.

2nd envelope I hold is marked in large red letters: RV. His sausage fingers clutch the title as he scans and grunts "bus" and looks up.

I super quietly explain to him that it is a custom conversion and was delivered as a partial chassis, thus labeled : bus.

He goes into the legal definition: does it have cooking surface, water, toilet, heat source, power source... and I'm like- yes all those and go to show him my phone pics, but was quickly waved off- "pictures no good". I already knew this, but was just offer of good faith- nothing to hide here.

He grumbles and processes the application, gave me plates and sent me to long cashier line. He said: Springfield might kick this back for inspection" I nod. State is broke, plates given out. doubtful. Will find out in 2 weeks when title comes back.

Only thing I know for sure is I got RV plates for now.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:04 AM   #2

Glad to hear the process hasn't changed much since we did our schoolie 10 years ago. Hopefully it will be the same when we title our coach. What part of this well ran state are you in. I am near the Quad Cities.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
bradmcmullen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Only thing I know for sure is I got RV plates for now.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well written too!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Wow! That's fantastic Rusty. I'm truly thrilled for you. I did the MTO (Canada) visit a couple of weeks ago - it was emotional and nerve racking, but such a feeling of joy when they give you those plates & change the title. Enjoy )