Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
1971 Flxible Flxette...........21 Feet

just thought I'd throw this one out. Some of you may have seen it at auction:
So I threw a bid on this and forgot about it and low and behold I won. But here's the deal. It had issues. Brake Pedal to the floor. Shot tires on 18" split rims.

And I'm about 3000 miles away. On the plus side very cute. Actual Mileage about 65,000. Powered by what is said to be the 4th best engine of all time. Ford 300 cubic inch inline 6 cylinder. Two weeks into this. I located the needed 5 lug 5 hole bud rims: I located the tires: Best news of all is that the Brakes, where I was truly expecting the worst, as it has the rear Hydrovacs as well as two brake cylinders per wheel have been repaired, bled, adjusted and the little Flxette now runs and shifts as it should and actually stops.............

I offered this Flxette on Ebay in the early days of purchase as I never expected overcoming what faced me would go as seamlessly as it did. It goes to show a rather odd observation that has threaded throughout my bus adventures. That the task that appears to be the simplest and most straightforward becomes the most protracted and tedious. And that task that presents as going to be a Mutha and is avoided, somehow comes together and with little effort comes together with amazing simplicity.

So here it is. My now nearly roadworthy Flxible Flxette resembling a miniaturized Flxible New Look. Don't see these every day............

One pretty sweet Urban camper platform.
Attached Thumbnails
flxette55.jpg   flxxxxxxxx.jpg   flxx.jpg   flxette......jpg   flxxx.jpg  

Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Saw that on Public Surplus, then Ebay. Saw the name, and knew who it was!
Very sweet lil bus you scored there.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Really thought I was into the deep with this: I had an Early FMC that had this same brake system.............a nightmare to ever get right...........lucky with this one that the Hydrovacs fed from the bottom rather than the top.............I located the replacement rims the next day. Did quite a bit of studying as to the correct tires, especially for the rear.............And yesterday the mechanic I hired drove in from the Pueblo Location to his place of business after doing some brake work and said it operated perfectly.

The bottom line is this Flx was parked because they were looking at over 5K to replace rims and tires..............they were quoted 650 X 6 just for the Budd Rims...............so I'm stocked it has worked out so well thus far..............Thanks. Will make one hell of a Beach Cruiser overnight getaway vehicle.................
Old 04-16-2015, 03:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Awesome little bus, wonder how weird it will be to drive with the multi PC windshield?

Great find
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 AM   #5
Bus Nut

It will be interesting that's for sure................bums me out that a couple weeks ago I missed snagging a 77 Flx New Look.............a 30 footer............really wanted it. Made a nuisance of myself even after I heard it was sold...........I offered to buy it from the guy who bought for a grand over what he paid for it...............no go..............Imagine that Flxible toting around the little flxette as a toad...........that would have been one for the ages...................;)
Old 04-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
What a little sweetheart! --- And even though there are lots of parts to the windshield...they all appear flat which makes for good viewing as well as much cheaper replacement. Almost reminds me of the "Greenhouse" noses in WWII bombers...cool!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Good god, no thanks.

That thing is hideous.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Thanks Tango.............it does have that hanging of the bomber turret vibe to it.......

It is an odd little bird no doubt. And I did try to "allow" someone else to take it off my hands.

Here's how I view it. Absolutely unique. Good solid proven drive train. And perfect for an Urban setting like Honolulu. The flx has a curb weight of around 7500 lbs. Which means I should be able to ship it to the Islands for around 3K.............I've been looking at 10K to ship a Crown or an Orion..

I will actually be able to park this downstairs and be able to work some Magic with it: For the first time I will be able to have something not parked a couple thousand miles away. It will be a perfect little bus to head out and hang at some of the incredible remote places in Hawaii: Where typically I'd have to turn around and drive home or hang out in a tent and all the noise that carries with it. Setting up camp, tearing down camp. Now I have a tent with tires on it that can go into any park. And it's just growing on me. It looks a little sad right now no doubt. But she'll be Proud in no time: Cool too is it already is plumbed for 30 Amp. Has a functioning AC and inverter.

And prior to its arrival in Hawaii it will be titled as a "house car". Also something you cannot do in Hawaii. There is no process whatsoever to take a bus in Hawaii and title it as a motor home. Hawaii is a very different place. For camping or "RVing" the VW bus is King. They get crazy money for VW's over here with rusted pans, rockers, etc............If I did a cool rather basic camperization of this Flxible I could sell it for 25K.........When the infrequent sale arises here for an staple stick RV that you could pick up on the mainland for 2500 bucks they sell her for 15k.

So though this is not my intent it is always an option: And when done surely will be more preferable to a Volkswagon. There will be no toilet or showering facilities: I will do this build without having to anything under the bus: Propane, additional batteries will be incorporated inside.

We'll see. There are certain parts of the island I don't surf anymore because driving just is a hassle. With this I can head out at 11 at night.............Crash.....have the day in front of me. Stay another night or two. And pick my no traffic time slot to go home.

Ultimate beach cruising Surf Wagon. And pretty positive it will see a lot of thumbs up. One of my friends who is a legendary Shaper in the islands, Kimo Green, who i've gone to Bali with to surf a couple time...........saw the pictures of this and all he could say was 'that thing is SICK'...........

And it is.............
Attached Thumbnails
flxette2.jpg   flxette.........jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Tango, you ain't old enough to remember those bombers but I agree, "What a little sweetheart"! I especially like the front and rear doors--lots of cool possibilities for that one!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
Bus Geek

make sure to keep pictures coming, that will be very cool, instead of the roof; you could mount boards on the side of driverside, and have a fold down table between the doors...party time
Old 04-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Bansil.............some of my boards are longer than the bus
Old 04-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- Actually I have flown in a greenhouse nose. VP-42 out of NAS North Island had a couple of P2V Neptunes in 1962-63 that were a gas to fly in. I would volunteer for every available flight. Much more fun than the P5M Martin Marlin Flying Boats we had.

The PV's sported a pair of Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone engines that were the most powerful radials ever produced. Something 36 or 3700 ponies each. Then they hung a couple of small jet engines outboard just for fun.

The greenhouse nose was for the bombardier and the best seat in the house.

PS...I was NOT a bombardier. Just rode as "forward observer" while we chased Rusky subs up and down your coast.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango. I wondered if you would pick up on my slight HA,HA. Really, I was trying to give you a back handed compliment about your youthfulness etc. --sure!

Actually, I'm jealous. The only cockpit I've looked out of was in a Cessna 150 back in the day when I was flying--well, now that I think of it a couple of Hueys the Dept had for S&R. Rusky subs? I thought they were Japanese? Ah, there's the perfect seg to get this thing back on track. The Isuzu motor that powers my skoolie, Honeysuckle Rose, is Japanese built.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
Bansil.............some of my boards are longer than the bus
I....ugh....well then.....agh!

I have failed with board carrying.....so poo on it, throw them on top and where is the pig being cooked must save thread....

And to the others hanging out in the thread....I am misinformed as to who the old farts are?????

I know jap and Nazi stubs of east coast during WWII, so the potatoe distillers where off the left side during? Cold war era?

Sorry for hijack......
Old 04-29-2015, 03:33 AM   #15
Bus Nut

UP date on the Flxible Flxette Brakes are done and perfect. Runs and shifts perfect. 19.5 Budd Rims are on the way..............ans well as new tires.........19.5/8R 14Ply for the Rears.............and 235/70/19.5 for the fronts...........pick up end of May..........Drive it to Vegas and Put it into the Space my Crown is in: Head to Phelan for Buses gone Wild........and then head to the Coast............
Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Outstanding Moki --- but we want more pix. At least a few of us here think that is one cool looking little rig and want to see what you do with it.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Outstanding Moki --- but we want more pix. At least a few of us here think that is one cool looking little rig and want to see what you do with it.

Won't have pix until end of May..............when I take my "vacation" and retrieve, store, drive all the trouble I've gotten into since December.............Three buses to move so far..............and maybe 4 depending on how the Crown Shorty "project" goes............. It'll look pretty much the same............but it will be ready to head to the Coast. Will fly into Pueblo...........pick up the Flxette..........drive it to Vegas. Pull out the HP Crown........put the flx in its spot. Head to buses gone wild. Then North to Washington and pick up my Wahkiakum Crown. And get it settled in Gresham. Then head down the coast in the HP Crown for some fun. And of course lots of Pics along the way. Thanks Tango.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Forget the still pix...sounds like the making of a major motion picture you have working there!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Forget the still pix...sounds like the making of a major motion picture you have working there!
...........I'm hoping to get therapy by the end of the year. I thought when I picked up the 66 HP Intercity I would be out of this "game"..........

It's Like the Godfather. "Every time I think I'm out they just keep pulling me back in." I keep thinking I'd like to take it easy. But I don't know how to do it. If I can get the shorty up on the road and looking good that would be so awesome. That would go a long way in satisfying me.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
You're coming out to Pueblo, Colorado?
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote