Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #81
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
I would want to go! Even though I don't have a skoolie, would I be able to get in? If it's close to west coast or 500 or so miles from Vegas I'm all go. I heard talk of Utah or Grand Canyon area would be cool - not sure how fancy you all like to camp, but There is also lots of BLM land north of Vegas like around apex (which also allows dirt bikes atv etc) and has a truck stop like 1 mile away and I think it's all public. Just thoughts

Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #82
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
I would want to go! Even though I don't have a skoolie, would I be able to get in? If it's close to west coast or 500 or so miles from Vegas I'm all go. I heard talk of Utah or Grand Canyon area would be cool - not sure how fancy you all like to camp, but There is also lots of BLM land north of Vegas like around apex (which also allows dirt bikes atv etc) and has a truck stop like 1 mile away and I think it's all public. Just thoughts
Offgrid, your build is one of the awesome ones we all follow and admire! Coach, skoolie or van conversion are the same if you're building it yourself! It's all about being a self constructed vehicle to express your individuality and determination to learn and do it yourself vs. buying a factory built cookie cutter machine.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
I would want to go! Even though I don't have a skoolie, would I be able to get in?
As I have said before, everyone is welcome.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME
Skoolie or Not
Vehicle or not

Hike in with your tent, and some water. We can figure out the rest.
Seriously, I plan on inviting some others outside this community that might have some interest in skoolies too.

My only requirement:
Unless you are female, and hot, do not figure on staying inside MY skoolie.

Awww, who am I trying to kid? If you are female, and have some of your teeth left, you have a shot. Bring some nice scotch if you are missing teeth or limbs.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #84
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Well it seems like 95% of people on here live in houston or montana, so Hugo, Co is the halfway point.
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #85
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450 #Vanlife
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 25
We're in, but we aren't going to be livable/registered/titled for probably 3 months.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #86
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
"...bring some nice scotch if you are missing teeth or limbs."

Literally "lol'd".

I'm game! I don't have a bus, but I do have about 30 hrs of PTO left and I agree that this could be a great opportunity to gain some knowledge and ideas for my future build... and have a kick ass time doing it! For what it's worth, I'm partial to CO plus it's fairly central. Seems as though Sept. or Oct. (when's Fall break, for those that have school to consider?) would be best to allow a couple of months for attendees to plan and give organizers time to coordinate.
his_dudeness1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
only issue with having the skooliepalooza in a place like colorado is that those who have busses which arent designed for running up and down the rockies are likely to experience delays, breakdowns, stress on the busses etc.. I think you need to have 2 of these,.,. one in the say colorado area for the westerners and then one fiurther east where those of us with busses made for more flat-ground and can run... 2 different times so those that wantto attend both could..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #88
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
only issue with having the skooliepalooza in a place like colorado is that those who have busses which arent designed for running up and down the rockies are likely to experience delays, breakdowns, stress on the busses etc.. I think you need to have 2 of these,.,. one in the say colorado area for the westerners and then one fiurther east where those of us with busses made for more flat-ground and can run... 2 different times so those that wantto attend both could..

-Christopher
Not ALL of colorado is mountainous.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #89
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I agree but alot of it would involve mountains for at least some of the crowd... we've already seen examples on here of busses that are perfect otherwise but choke or break in the rockies.... its a tough tough run for any vehicle... having a skooliepalooza east of the rockies and one west of them would help with that.. and those that have busses and confidence to run across the range could attend both...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #90
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I agree but alot of it would involve mountains for at least some of the crowd... we've already seen examples on here of busses that are perfect otherwise but choke or break in the rockies.... its a tough tough run for any vehicle... having a skooliepalooza east of the rockies and one west of them would help with that.. and those that have busses and confidence to run across the range could attend both...
-Christopher
I could make it from FL to Colorado without having to cross the rockies. Colorado is ok till you get west of Denver, for the most part.
But as someone else mentioned earlier- here's the geographic center of the lower 48-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #91
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Hugo, CO?

the JASavage bus almost calls that home - theyre closer to punkin center, than hugo but......thats splitting hairs

both of us are out in rural eastern Colorado and it is definitely bus friendly territory. flatlanders, we are.

even though I-80 goes through wyoming, its probably the best access to the colorado rockies for a bus.
Steamboat / Walden are great areas of northern colorado that you can access via i-80. little bit of fire up by walden now but thats gonna be there no matter.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #92
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International 3800 chassis
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 77
Exclamation

I would like to attend, but will have to come in vehicle with tent, as bus not yet ready for road trip, but I would love to see and meet others. My limitations will be time & distance as I don't have lots of time off but could manage a 3-4 day weekend within 500 mile radius--tried to upload diagram--but had no luck--circle radius stretches from center at Jackson, MS to Houston, Dallas, Tulsa, St. Louis, Knoxville, Agusta, and Gainesville--but if not this year then definitely next year! It will just depend on where your final destination is and or days of the week. Just know that I will be wishing I was there.

Oh and just as an aside, do NOT come to Mississippi in the Summer. It is absolutely miserable heat/humidity!
Old 07-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #93
Bus Nut

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
I'm keeping my eye on this thread. We are hosting at a campground in Northern CA this summer (all skoolies welcome at our campground!!!) and will be traveling to the East Coast and back between October and March. We could potentially make it work almost anywhere. If you come to a consensus within the month we could actually plan our work/trip schedule around it.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Oh, also as camp host I volunteer my campground for the event as well.
I know it's off to the side but here are some points for consideration:

- I know my boss would love it
- I'm in charge of these two campgrounds so I'm cool to deal with rules-wise
- there's clean drinking water here and pit toilets
-campsites are $10/night (or $5 if you have a Golden Age or America the Beautiful Pass)
- generators and pets welcome (pets $2/nt)
- beautiful lake and mountain view with lots of wildlife (a herd of 140 elk live here)
- swimming day use area and fishing nearby
- free driftwood everywhere for burning
- I live here in my skoolie and wouldn't have to drive anywhere (hehehe )
- I'll be here now til mid September and next season March-Sept.

- con: the dirt road here is nicely graded but it is LONG. it takes us two hours in the bus (1 in a car) to get to the nearest grocery store that is 24 miles away. However, there are two small (and expensive) stores here on the mountain for anything else you forget to bring.

Can you tell I really want to see you guys?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #95

SO Into this idea!

This is sheer brilliance! Once a destination has been chosen I would love to be in on this. As I skimmed through all these posts i noticed quite a few Texas preferences. I don't know much about this site but a few friends have suggested in so i thought i would toss an idea in.
Let me know if anyone has experience with this place. I intend to check it out personally the first chance i get.

http://www.crystalbeach.com/camping.htm

Popernack
Popernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:36 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: e450 super duty
Engine: 7.3l ford powerstroke
It would be cool to set up a festival were the first school bus was manufactured in America. just tossing that out in the open.
dopamine16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #97
Bus Crazy

hey all, i think this is a great thread. its kinda of like a stoner planning a bus build. there is a **** ton of ideas, and then we all sit back and think about it. and then comes another idea..... not much has happened.
the coloradans made it together, the guys from houston did. even a meet up in florida if i remember right,

we should be able to pull this off. especially before dred abandons his bus for the comforts of a uhaul.
i think if this is gonna happen, dred needs to tell us his path for the next month or so and see if we can get some busses together after 10 pages of saying we're going to.

lets see some action!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 03:14 AM   #98
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 71
Hey Turf!

We're just a bit inland of you! SE Aurora! Nice build BTW! We too started with a '93 TC2000FE with the 5.9 and 545. I like yours a lot better than mine!

We're in!

I vote for CO, NM, or AZ. Or maybe MOAB????

We are headed to the 4 Corners - Grand Canyon - Etc. next weekend.
Anyone on the way?

Let's do this!
ColoradoCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #99
Bus Crazy

right on Colorado Cummins!

i'm game for any of them. welcome to the group!
come on Dred, you started it, tell us where you're headed, so we can add some pictures to this thread.

the fun doesnt start til the bus is parked and the wine and weed start flowing!
Old 07-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #100
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
come on Dred, you started it, tell us where you're headed, so we can add some pictures to this thread.

the fun doesnt start til the bus is parked and the wine and weed start flowing!

I am sorry I have steered away from this thread, as I have been having a bit of drama with the bus lately. But I am determined to make this event happen, with or without a bus. So going with what I know, adding the unknowns - how many buses, people, how much space will we need etc., I have decided to have it in Quartzsite, AZ in January.

I think the most important thing I can do (besides creating the perfect time and place for this event) is to give this thing a good start, and provide as many resources, information, and CONNECTIONS for anyone thinking about, or doing the "skoolie thing". Since I can't make the perfect time/place, I would like to cross-pollinate with another AWESOME group that will be having an amazing meeting in the same place around the same time - on January 10-22, the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous will happen. They are very well organized, and we would fit into this group very well (there were two skoolies there last year). These folks also represent very strongly what I use my skoolie for, and I imagine, quite a few of you as well. I believe this is a perfect fit, and the only question is - should we have it the week before, after, or concurrent with their event? There is PLENTY of space, and you can come and go as you please. If we have it concurrently, there will ALWAYS be something going on of value, or just plain fun.

The Skoolie Palooza will be fun, but the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous might actually change your life?

Please read thru the Q&A on their site, then ask any question you have remaining. If you can and want to attend, please comment on the dates.

If you cannot attend, please refrain from commenting - I understand if this is too far, or the dates will not work for you - your silence will be clearly understood. And hopefully, there will be others closer to you soon.

report and video from last year's event

maps and info are here